• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ring Jacket is better quality. Very well made suits with fantastic fabrics. If you can get a Ring Jacket suit on sale for same price as MJ Bale Collection RRP I'd pick Ring Jacket no doubt. However, MJ Bale Collection in outlets for <$600 I'd definitely take over a Ring Jacket on sale at $1200. Considering you can frequent them in outlets fairly regularly and you have the advantage of actually trying them on here, I'd stick to MJ Bale.

MJ are great bang for buck - good cloth and decent construction. I find their jackets too long for me, however, and not a lot of shaping in lapel, sleeveheads etc.

Ring Jacket are a much better product, and are in fact all I wear. I get mine from Beams House in Tokyo, but Masons in Melbourne have a few in stock. They are premium priced but better than Armoury, who both add a premium and charge in either USD or HKD, both of which the AUD is lousy against...

npvpositive

Reaction score
This thread has certainly gone quiet. Looks like COVID killed the passion . . . or at least changed priorities.

ovlov

Reaction score
This thread has certainly gone quiet. Looks like COVID killed the passion . . . or at least changed priorities.

Hasn't killed mine unfortunately. All this time indoors has led to some rather spectacular impulse purchases. Unfortunately Covid 19 has ruined the international postage, so my new boots so far have taken 15 days to get from San Diego to LA. I also got a bit silly with Exquisite Trimmings sale and pretty much doubled my tie collection overnight, if that delivery ever get here as well. (Amazing deals to be had there on a huge range of ties; heaps of stuff half price and the st 10% off code still works as well).

ponpon_hehe

Reaction score
Hasn't killed mine, unfortunately. All this time indoors has led to some rather spectacular impulse purchases. Unfortunately, COVID 19 has ruined the international postage, so my new boots so far have taken 15 days to get from San Diego to LA. I also got a bit silly with Exquisite Trimmings sale and pretty much doubled my tie collection overnight, if that delivery ever gets here as well. (Amazing deals to be had there on a huge range of ties; heaps of stuff half price and the st 10% off code still works as well).

same to me, as an Indonesian who lives in Cairns, but still stuck in Jakarta due to COVID. Rather than save some money, I blasted them on a few pairs of shoes instead.
including these sexy boots

IMG_20200610_154149.jpg

IMG_20200610_091333.jpg

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The initial dread of plague, working from home, (if one still has a job) social isolation, no pubs no restaurants no.. fill in the blanks. Plus the sheer magnitude of COVID-19 and its alienating enforced societal withdrawal has had a profound impact on peoples psyche, then throw in the drought and fires, economic downturn, no travel and its hamburger with the lot which i did not order.

We have been confined to family binge TV series watching (no Rugby sigh), take away food, and in some cases excessive alcohol and social media consumption. On the positive side both Mrs GF and I have taken a lot of clothing, bedding, books and stuff to Vinnies which has been good.

In terms of wardrobe well I’m not far off from retirement what ever the **** that means so, the concept of wardrobe has taken on a different function. Mind you winter is still dominated by cor-du-roy for me.

Overall i’ve bought a pair of wide wale Cor-du-roy trousers. A couple of long sleeve heat tech t shirts from Muji which combined with a new Champion reverse weave hoddie, a Drake Wool Watch Cap, last years track pants and new Globe sneakers, walking the dog at 7am in the Canberra winter with a good podcast is relatively painless.

Books and wine bargains from the corpse of the hospitality industry have been my biggest vices during the past four months.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
Couple of pics of my TGC cap toe service boots I received last week.

img_1145.jpg

img_1146.jpg

Currently having some Topy soles put on by my cobbler. Almost every shopping centre here in SA has slippery tiles for flooring, and it makes wearing leather soles a sometimes tenuous pursuit. Is this a similar issue in other states?

Wrote a more in-depth review of the boots over on my blog if anybody is interested.

ponpon_hehe

Reaction score
The initial dread of plague, working from home, (if one still has a job) social isolation, no pubs no restaurants no.. fill in the blanks. Plus the sheer magnitude of COVID-19 and its alienating enforced societal withdrawal has had a profound impact on people's psyche, then throw in the drought and fires, economic downturn, no travel, and its hamburger with the lot which i did not order.

We have been confined to family binge TV series watching (no Rugby sigh), take away food, and in some cases excessive alcohol and social media consumption. On the positive side, both Mrs. GF and I have taken a lot of clothing, bedding, books, and stuff to Vinnies which has been good.

In terms of wardrobe well I’m not far off from retirement whatever the **** that means so, the concept of wardrobe has taken on a different function. Mind your winter is still dominated by cor-du-roy for me.

Overall I’ve bought a pair of wide wale Cor-du-roy trousers. A couple of long sleeve heat tech t-shirts from Muji which combined with a new Champion reverse weave hoddie, a Drake Wool Watch Cap, last years track pants and new Globe sneakers, walking the dog at 7 am in the Canberra winter with a good podcast is relatively painless.

Books and wine bargains from the corpse of the hospitality industry have been my biggest vices during the past four months.

Winter in Canberra is a pain **********. Went there once in winter a couple of years ago. And my balls were shrinking.

@samtalkstyle just read your in-depth review of the boots.
those are lovely boots. It seems like you have the same problem as I am, which is high instep.
luckily the boots that just bought recently have high instep as well.
might worth a shot.

Last edited:

ovlov

Reaction score
Couple of pics of my TGC cap toe service boots I received last week.

img_1145.jpg

img_1146.jpg

Currently having some Topy soles put on by my cobbler. Almost every shopping centre here in SA has slippery tiles for flooring, and it makes wearing leather soles a sometimes tenuous pursuit. Is this a similar issue in other states?

Wrote a more in-depth review of the boots over on my blog if anybody is interested.

Hey mate who do you use for tips in Adelaide? I've had mine done by a few different places but none of them have filled me with confidence.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
Hey mate who do you use for tips in Adelaide? I've had mine done by a few different places but none of them have filled me with confidence.

I'm having mine done by Carapella, first time going there. A friend recommended them. I've never taken shoes to a cobbler before, I've mostly stuck to thrifted or bought shoes that have Dainite soles and I haven't worn through any of those yet.

npvpositive

Reaction score
Was walking around Sydney today. It's back to at least 50% life now . . . in some places maybe even 70%. Like the use of cash, I suspect that COVID has brought forward the death of the suit (and tie) in the workplace by about a decade. I saw a group of cocky young investment bankers strutting along in their suits and they stood out so acutely that my first reaction was "Cosplay".

Having grown up wearing suits, I'm sad to see them disappearing from the office, but the trend is unstoppable now.

Last edited:

ovlov

Reaction score
I'm having mine done by Carapella, first time going there. A friend recommended them. I've never taken shoes to a cobbler before, I've mostly stuck to thrifted or bought shoes that have Dainite soles and I haven't worn through any of those yet.

Never heard of them. Are they close to the city ?Please let me know how it turns out for you once you get them back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads