• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@The Ernesto i bought two belts and a wallet for my son all on sale at Martin Place. Found it overpriced and under stocked in terms of range.

Went into a BB in Kyoto two years ago, had a look left feeling underwhelmed.

Your right about the people factor.

zhenjie

Reaction score
I always had the perception that Akubra hats were just country & bush hats worn by farmers. Smart.alec hatters in Fitzroy helped change that ignorant view today!

Shop local. Shop Australian made.

casualclassics_100785654_1928703023930579_728484969894447051_n.jpg

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always had the perception that Akubra hats were just country & bush hats worn by farmers. Smart.alec hatters in Fitzroy helped change that ignorant view today!

Looks nice - which Akubra style is that?

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
I have not received a reply from Aaron at aarch.com for a few weeks. It appears like their website is down now as well.

Does anybody have any further information?

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
One thing about the Stylemaster, whilst it's a nice and functional city hat, given its 2.5 inch brim, many will falsely associate it with a country hat.

It's much easier to get away with a Hampton.

alessandromo

Reaction score
Sad to see Brooks Brothers Martin Place store is closing permanently (as previously mentioned). Walked past today, for anyone wanting to stock up there is 80% off store wide if you buy 5 or more items. Lots of basics available in all sizes.

Ting

Reaction score
As someone who regularly buys sale items from the BrooksBrothers outlet in Birkenhead, I will really miss them. Staff there told me that as far as they know, they will remain open. I think it will only be a matter of time before they all have to close. :(

I was hoping to get some opinions from you all for my first (and only) black dress shoe. Four options:

1. Andrew McDonald punch-cap ($595 on sale, D'annonay box calf, channel stitch, fiddle black waist)​
2. Andrew McDonald stitch-cap ($295 on sale, essentially bench grade with lower grade leather)​
3. Crockett & Jones from DoubleMonk ($795 for bench grade options, Connaught vs Radstock)​
4. Carmina black oxford ($567, Rain vs Forrest last)​

Considerations:
1&2. I like the sale prices for the A.McDonald, especially the punch-cap. But as the only black dress shoe, I feel like I should stick with a stitch-cap. Anyone have experience with his shoes?
3. Crockett & Jones is pricey when compared with the features offered in the other options but they probably have my preferred last shape - roundish and conservative.
4. Not sure that I will like the last shapes, Rain being chiseled and Forrest being a bit too bulbous.

Any thoughts will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat too much over the difference between a plain captoe and a punch captoe. I had a variety of shoes - wholecut with medallion, wingtip with punch detailing, wingtip with medallion, semi-brogues and a number of other types - before I got a pair of black shoes with plain captoes.

A relevant question is - do you have any idea how those different lasts will fit you? Have you had the chance to try any of them on?

To be frank, the best shoe - like the best suit - is the one that fits. So unless you know that you've got feet that are pretty easy to fit (not too wide, not too narrow, not too high, not too flat etc) then it may be best to get the pair that you can try on and that you know will fit. Otherwise, as is evidenced by the pairs of nearly-new shoes that are put up for sale in the Buying & Selling subforum here, you may end up having a lovely pair of shoes that you cannot wear, and return postage (particularly if purchasing from overseas) isn't cheap.

boot_owl

Reaction score
As someone who regularly buys sale items from the BrooksBrothers outlet in Birkenhead, I will really miss them. Staff there told me that as far as they know, they will remain open. I think it will only be a matter of time before they all have to close. :(

I was hoping to get some opinions from you all for my first (and only) black dress shoe. Four options:

1. Andrew McDonald punch-cap ($595 on sale, D'annonay box calf, channel stitch, fiddle black waist)​
2. Andrew McDonald stitch-cap ($295 on sale, essentially bench grade with lower grade leather)​
3. Crockett & Jones from DoubleMonk ($795 for bench grade options, Connaught vs Radstock)​

Considerations:
1&2. I like the sale prices for the A.McDonald, especially the punch-cap. But as the only black dress shoe, I feel like I should stick with a stitch-cap. Anyone have experience with his shoes?
3. Crockett & Jones is pricey when compared with the features offered in the other options but they probably have my preferred last shape - roundish and conservative.
4. Not sure that I will like the last shapes, Rain being chiseled and Forrest being a bit too bulbous.

Andrew McDonald's RTW really didn't impress me last time I handled it. I'd give Thomas George Collection a try, free shipping and returns

NikG

Reaction score

Considerations:

I'd only consider Carmina and C&J out of those listed. But since Carmina is $200 and you won't get 25% more a shoe with C&J I'd go with Carmina. They're the best value for money available for the quality you get. Rain last is a classic last as well, can't go wrong with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads