• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bookmarked. Will try when normalcy returns.
Pretty sure Manfred's will do work through the mail for you. You can email them photos in advance so they have an idea of what's needed.

Some Oscar Hunt patrons might remember Jared, who used to work there; he's at Manfred's now.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C62727B8-FA3E-4C4F-9CC2-D9C183576837.jpeg

Appeared in the district court today. The ostrich skin slippers were a nice touch.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easter viewing
3B4791F5-C189-450B-A83D-72CDFB4EAC20.jpeg

m.j.bale have 30% over Easter code
WWA2020

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass have a sale in their online store at the moment.

I couldn't resist.

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 11.29.22 am.png

Markodevil

Reaction score
Hello, would anyone know where to pick up some good overcoats in the Melbourne area (or online)?
I am looking for a double-breasted, ideally a 100% wool or wool/cashmere blend. This might be wishful thinking but it would also be nice if I did not have to sell a few organs to afford one.

16122549_1715506588778877_6019289656233820160_n-1020x1020.jpg
JimmyRaperXOMAST-30.jpg-683x1024.jpg

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't help with Melbourne suggestions and I suppose that most of the shops are closed, anyway. Polo Ralph Lauren might have an overcoat or two, but they would probably be very expensive and you'll pay "Australia tax" compared to US prices (even with the currently awful exchange rate factored in). Henry Bucks might have overcoats, but they will be very expensive, too.

One of the unfortunate things I notice about Australian "overcoats" lately is that they are very short and finish at mid-thigh, rather than coming down to the knees or below.

You could look online at places like Spier and Mackay - they have some lovely double-breasted polo coats that are the proper length: https://www.spierandmackay.com/shop/apparel/outerwear.html

Otherwise, at a pinch, you could always try army disposals to see if you can find an old navy coat.

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, would anyone know where to pick up some good overcoats in the Melbourne area (or online)?
I am looking for a double-breasted, ideally a 100% wool or wool/cashmere blend. This might be wishful thinking but it would also be nice if I did not have to sell a few organs to afford one.

View attachment 1368710 View attachment 1368711
The second picture is Grant from Mawson Ossa, based in Sydney but has trunk shows in Melbourne. He can make you an overcoat - either MTM or Bespoke

I’m having one made at the moment that will be quite similar to Andreas’ coat, above.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe Azzaro, in South Melbourne?
azzaro.jpg

sensuki

Reaction score
I've never used them, but I have heard good things about Manfred's Shoe Lounge:

I've used Manfred's before. They have installed toe plates (twice) and a topy on a pair of my Wolverine 1000 Mile, and they did a 'resole' of a pair of my girlfriend's boots. I was happy enough with the work on my Wolverine's. The toe plate screws are visible in the welt holes of my Wolverines but I'm not too surprised about that. When I need a full resole done on my Wolverine's I'll send them to Baxter and Black.

Wasn't too crazy about the job they did on my girlfriend's boots. They are a GYW pair of boots with a Wedge sole but they just sanded down the sole and glue on another one, and the glue is now coming loose at the toes (but no issue with wearing them in this state).

shoerejuvenator

Reaction score
I've used Manfred's before...

I've had a resole from Manfred for a 25-year old pair of C&Js I own. It's decent. It's not Nathan Baxter level, but it's still pretty good. Still, I think I'll be sending my favs to Nathan.

I'll defo use Manfred again. No issues there. If anyone has any better recommendations in Melbourne I'm all ears.

chatelet

Reaction score
I've had a resole from Manfred for a 25-year old pair of C&Js I own. It's decent. It's not Nathan Baxter level, but it's still pretty good. Still, I think I'll be sending my favs to Nathan.

I'll defo use Manfred again. No issues there. If anyone has any better recommendations in Melbourne I'm all ears.
Is there much of a price difference between Manfred and Baxter?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads