• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting that it only happens every decade or so in the late 00 it was black acetate NASA TV glasses that was fuelled by hipsters.

The worst was Thomas Dolby ‘she blinded me with science’ Ripley frames in 82. Their I was an individual....then I was commodified and had to get new frames which amusingly were a clear acetate version of Ray Charles spectacles.

Dolby coincided with spectacles becoming face furniture and was hijacked by the better living by design crowd.

But I’ve never seen something like this go virally contagious so quickly.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying some Borrelli shirts online. I’ve had them before and they fit decently, whereas I’m going to need to go on starvation diet to get into G. Inglese.

I’ve had a mix of mainline and Royal Collection before: my recollection is that the construction is the same but Royal is finer, and more fragile, cloth.

But, can anyone comment on the Super Sakellaridis line? Pricing seems to be in between but I understand Sakellaridis is actually a different type of cotton.

Also, can someone remind me which collar is their classic semi-spread? If memory serves, that’s the Fabio and the Achilles is the wide spread but this might be back to front...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drakes Sale now at 50% off and with free shipping.

Xellos

Reaction score
Trunk shows are starting in the new year now with Empire Tailors and Raja Fashions from Hong Kong arriving soon - anyone tried those joints before?

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Melbourne fellas - any recommendations for where to buy an umbrella that:
- Doesn't cost the earth
- Works and isn't a POS
- Is reasonably inoffensive

Notes:
- Don't need any whangee handle the amroury 2012 bullshit
- A bit bigger > a bit smaller
- Doesn't need to fold up or anything

Feels like Muji should have something like this...

toasitha

Reaction score
Melbourne fellas - any recommendations for where to buy an umbrella that:
- Doesn't cost the earth
- Works and isn't a POS
- Is reasonably inoffensive

Notes:
- Don't need any whangee handle the amroury 2012 bullshit
- A bit bigger > a bit smaller
- Doesn't need to fold up or anything

Feels like Muji should have something like this...

I bought a clifton umbrella from www.umbrella.com.au. apparently its a local company but im sure the umbrellas are made in china. not really sturdy like solid stick umbrellas but at that price cant really complain and i'd be more than happy if it will last me a couple of seasons. all in all the cost was 39 something with shipping. no much in way of communication (tracking number, despatch notice etc) from the seller but i received the umbrella within two days.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During my recent sojourn in Sydney i noticed a profusion of men wearing clear acetate spectacle frames. Mind you not a lot of variation in the frame styles people were wearing. They were predominately prescription spectacles with only a small percentage of sunglasses.

About five years ago, I bought a clear acetate pair from Jin's (a large chain that sells frames and lenses from about $60 upwards, with simple prescriptions ready in 30 minutes). Clear frames have been popular in Japan for quite a long time.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Postus Interuptus? @Journeyman

WTF is going on here JM? I only saw my text...:censored: NBN.

I’ve had two pairs one in 82 the other like John Lennons from 81. Which i bought in 87 and the dog in fit of pique ate them In 88. The dog went in the subsequent divorce.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But, can anyone comment on the Super Sakellaridis line? Pricing seems to be in between but I understand Sakellaridis is actually a different type of cotton.

TFP, I got a couple of Borrelli Super Sakellaridis shirts from Richards & Richards some years back, when they were having the massive sale before vacating their conservative business dress premises to move to James St.

To be frank, I didn't really notice much, if any, difference in the fabric. Then again, some of my Borrelli shirts have thicker fabric while others are made from very thin, silky cotton and it doesn't really seem to matter which model line they're from.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drakes ordered Wednesday 15/1 arrived midday Monday 20/1. Impressed.:fonz:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a new watch cap or is it a beanie. The woollens were all to small..(sigh)

What colour did you get, GF?

When I'm in Japan, I alternate between a blue cashmere beanie in a Donegal fleck by Johnston's of Elgin for Henry Carter; or a bright orange woollen beanie from Uniqlo. Pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads