Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Navy is more versatile, more city appropriate. Olive is the most iconic colour for Barbour.

2. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I don't rate it as a hipster phenomenon. Sure, the hipsters might have appropriated it. But independent "boutique" brewing predates the hipster movement.

In fact it arises from the increasing interest in gourmet food and fine wine which we've seen in Australia over the past thirty years at least.

I used to play a regular Friday night jazz gig at the Villiers Hotel in North Melbourne, back in 1987. They had one of the first - perhaps the first - independent microbreweries set up in Melbourne, with copper stills right there in the pub. (Actually I think the stills were put in around 1988, but their beers were already on tap - perhaps brewed in WA at that time.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that outfit eventually changed its name to Redback, which still exists - although doubtless it's been bought out by one of the Big Boys since then.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I'm thinking of going to a hipster barber shop today for haircut. The place appears to be full of tattooed men with Ned Kelly beards, but the haircuts are actually quite reasonably priced ($32 in the CBD for a haircut with a hot towel and cut-throat razor trim on the back of the neck).

I'll let you know if I start riding a fixie and talking endlessly about craft beers and unknown, local bands.

4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Apropos of previous musings, here's a snap of our band at the Villiers Hotel in 1987. No hipster beards or fixies in sight. Andrew Brown on tenor, Ben Robertson on bass (hidden) and Scott Lambie on drums. Judging by the commercial fan above our heads, we must have been really cookin'.

Note the "Tiger's Head Beers" poster - that was the name of the brewery whose beers were on tap there. In fact I think the hotel may have had its name changed to The Tiger's Head Hotel at some point. I believe it's still there on the corner of Flemington Road and Villiers Street.

[​IMG]

5. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Oh but end clothing doesn't have nt size in olive :(

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

In 86 I worked at the Sail & Anchor pub in Fremantle as a Chef owned by the Matilda Bay brewing Co. It was one of the first major 'boutique brewers' with their microbrewery in the back of the pub. I remember the Brass Monkey Stout "Drink No Evil!" Bullshit..the Lord Nelson has been brewing their own for a long time. Then by the end of the 80's early 90's the craze was for imported beer at least in Sydney. The whole gourmet food and drink explosion was a godsend however I do believe that the term "Craft Beer" is associated with Hipsters who have in JM's tattoos and beards.

Canberra's Bent Spoke has some highly palatable stout on tap at present.

7. crdb

crdb Senior member

There's an Iraqi man on Mary Street near Central who does excellent cissor cuts for $17. Including single edged razor on back of neck.

8. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

...and I get my hair cut in Sydney on George Street, opposite the Capitol Theatre, for $12. But no cut-throat razor finish.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

One of my colleagues gets his hair cut by an old Italian guy for $12.

The only problem is that he lives about an hour's drive north of Brisbane, so I'm not going to travel that far for a haircut!

10. crdb

crdb Senior member

Damn, that's one expensive cut-throat razor finish I've been paying for.

What's the place called?

11. akclothpooper

akclothpooper Senior member

In Japanese clothing news I managed to thrift a Japanese market Levi's flannel, and damn it rivals the flat head flannels that corlection has really spongey and dense cotton, fits pretty short and boxy though probably best as an overshirt.

Pretty disappointed to hear the RM boot price increase, haven't walked into a shop for a while but I remember seeing someone's MTO camel leather ones in this thread when I used to lurk and was planning on doing a MTO closer to winter, probably gonna be a pass now though.

Edit: Those jodhpurs look real nice.

12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Don't know, but like I say, almost directly opposite the Capitol Theatre on George St. A couple of doors up from the BreakFree Hotel.

There's always a swarthy Lebanese-looking guy out front spruiking for business. They have about ten chairs in there and there's always a queue.

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

As far as I'm aware, you can still order RMW boots through places like Nungar Trading Co for $365 a pair. I suppose that they may have to increase their prices in line with official price increases in the future, although that remains to be seen.

Also as far as I'm aware, you can also still place MTO, or special, orders via Nungar. Give them a call or send them an e-mail to find out.

14. sliq

sliq Senior member

I'm starting to think my $15 hair cuts from Western Sydney (Parramatta) is too expensive!

15. ASpark

ASpark Well-Known Member

Is that you or Billy Bragg playing guitar? Melbourne's Good Beer Week is happening soon, incase you hadn't seen any advertising.