• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Markodevil

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up/reminder on Kamakura. I need some new shirts and a recent trip to MJ Bale left me more than underwhelmed (mainly the staff more interested in talking to one another than seeing how the fit worked). They did suggest I could get their shirts tailored which basically puts them in the MTM price point anyway!

I was considering OH, might try my luck elsewhere. Cheers
I have been hunting for some nice dress shirts, I recently got a Pini Parma shirt on sale. It is pretty good in terms of fit for me, but I really don't like the Windsor collars they use, so unfortunately I won't wear it with a tie.

smeggett

Reaction score
I have been hunting for some nice dress shirts, I recently got a Pini Parma shirt on sale. It is pretty good in terms of fit for me, but I really don't like the Windsor collars they use, so unfortunately I won't wear it with a tie.
Haven't heard of them, so will look into. Ties are not a major issue as I rarely wear except for occasional wine club dinners which I can get over.

eightace

Reaction score
Now that I am starting to travel for work again, I find myself wanting a decent garment bag. I have been using suit bags that came with various suits, but they are getting a bit ratty, and I would prefer something neutral/unbranded.

Ideally, it should also be pretty slim and lightweight, to facilitate taking it on planes along with a carry-on, without raising the ire of the airline hosts. Something like a Filson is really a separate piece of luggage in itself.
Just stumbled across this:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am downsizing my library I have the following sartorial tomes all HB except for the Lee for sale. All are in excellent quality and condition and all between $10-15 except the Lee $5.

The focus is on the history and development of men’s tailoring. Clothing as an expression of culture and style. And an insight into the bespoke process and practical advice on menswear.

ABC of Men’s Fashion by Hardy Amies

Why a man should be well dressed by Adolf Loos

History of Mens Fashion What the well dressed man is wearing (illustrated) by Nicholas Storey

The Suit A Machiavellian Approach to Mens Style by Nicholas Antongiavanni

Tailoring by Simon Crompton

Bespoke: Savile Row Ripped and Smoothed by Richard Anderson

Style and the Man by Alan Flusser

The Coat Route:Craft, Luxury & Obsession on the Trail of a $50,000 Coat by Meg Lukens Noonan

The Suit: Form Function & Style Christopher Breward (illustrated)

The Measure of a Man The Story of a Father, a Son and a Suit by JJ Lee PB

Pick in Canberra will be in Sydney at the end of April and if you want to pay postage will mail interstate. PM if interested

BananaKing

Reaction score
Re: my search for non low rise dress trouser options

Accessible RTW options in the 150-350 price range in the end were mostly online (for Brisbane at least)

Just a little short of mid rise: Anthony Squires and Suit Supply:

For Mid to higher rise: Natalino, Spier & Mackay, Pini Parma, Berwich

ThatGuy

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I have a size US9 B/D Alden PTB (990) in Colour #8 Cordovan for sale or trade. Sale price is $900AUD. Ideally want to trade this for a pair in US10.5 OR US11 B/D. Open to trade with other fine shoes, shirts (44/ 17.5) and work bags/ backpacks. Happy to keep them for several more years if there are no takers. They are simply beautiful shoes - see the pics.

Comes with shoe bags. No box as I couldn't carry it with me between moves.

Worn twice as they are way too small for me. Stored in dark dry place and the shoes are in excellent clean condition.

Pictures here:

Last edited:

ThatGuy

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I have a size US9 B/D Alden PTB (990) in Colour #8 Cordovan for sale or trade. Sale price is $900AUD. Ideally want to trade this for a pair in US10.5 OR US11 B/D. Open to trade with other fine shoes, shirts (44/ 17.5) and work bags/ backpacks. Happy to keep them for several more years if there are no takers. They are simply beautiful shoes - see the pics.

Comes with shoe bags. No box as I couldn't carry it with me between moves.

Worn twice as they are way too small for me. Stored in dark dry place and the shoes are in excellent clean condition.

Pictures here:

Shoes have been sold

Markodevil

Reaction score
With the weather starting to turn I have been looking for a peacoat, does anyone know a good place online to get one?

I quite like the design of the Spier & Mackay "Navy Melton - Classic Peacoat", compared to the ones with flap pockets. I was wondering if there were any alternatives, because the USD exchange rate is brutal. if there is no alternatives then I will just pull the trigger, but thought I should check.

eightace

Reaction score
Sydney gents, anyone needing replacement soles, heels, Topies, etc. for their shoes, you should definitely give Kieran the Cobbler a go. He recently did some work on some of my favourite shoes, it was excellent, his prices are very reasonable and he's a hell-of-a-nice guy to boot (ptp😉).

Jaker12

Reaction score
Has anyone done the MTM tailoring from Schneider and Co in Sydney? I'll be visiting in May and am thinking about getting a lightweight sport coat. I asked about who does their tailoring and was told it's a tailor in South Korea (that's not Casa del Sarto) and am wondering if anyone can comment on the quality. They certainly look very nice and I love the style

eightace

Reaction score
Has anyone done the MTM tailoring from Schneider and Co in Sydney? I'll be visiting in May and am thinking about getting a lightweight sport coat. I asked about who does their tailoring and was told it's a tailor in South Korea (that's not Casa del Sarto) and am wondering if anyone can comment on the quality. They certainly look very nice and I love the style
I dropped in there a couple of months ago, they did indeed have some nice items, but I haven't bought anything from them. I was certainly tempted by their shoes from Carmina for $550, which I thought was a bargain. If you're visiting Sydney, I would also recommend Luxius. I've had many MTM pieces from them, all superb.

Chris Sun

Reaction score
Saw there was a post quite a while ago about Maimone Charles on Crossley St. Has anyone had suits tailored by him? Couldn't really find anything on Google Review. Thought I'd ask here. Also, what's his price range in general for a three-piece (with normal British or Italian fabric)? Thanks in advance.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little while back, I mentioned Sunspel pique polo shirts (https://www.sunspel.com/products/mens-cotton-pique-polo-shirt-black-mpol1028), of which I'm a huge fan.

I recently bought half a dozen in XS, but have belatedly decided I should have gone a size up as I have a fat arse and they don't sit how I want. Fit is similar to Uniqlo through the chest, but a little longer in the body, hence the issue I have.

So if anyone would like these for a good price, let me know. I have 2 black, 2 navy and 2 white. All are in good condition, and the whites have only been worn once or twice each.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads