• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if someone has spent X hundreds of dollars on their EG's or CJ's, AND they really wanted the look of flush toe taps, they WOULD spend 100 bucks and ship their shoes interstate. It's quite reasonable to get the desired aesthetic, and I don't get what the joke is. The words "cheap and durable" do not factor into the equation, and looking better while achieving desired function is arguably better performance.

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh in my post, but the point that I was making is that, although flush toe-taps do look nicer than the crescent-shaped ones, they don't serve any greater practical purpose over and above the crescent-shaped ones, and what's more, no-one else will see them.

So while they might look nicer, you're the only person that will see them or notice them. Whether that's worth paying $100 and having the hassle of posting your shoes somewhere, as opposed to your regular cobbler fitting the crescent-shaped ones for $10 or $20, is clearly a subjective, value judgement.

jrb666

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a cobbler in Sydney who can fit flush toe taps?

Have tried Coombs in the Strand Arcade. They'll only attach it on top of the sole. Other cobblers won't even do that since it affects the balance of the shoe.

Double Monk has a cobbler in Melbourne that can do it, but I'd prefer to do it locally.

I met a guy at the Double Monk opening in Sydney who may be able to assist. I'm pretty sure he mentioned that he did flush top taps.

His business card says:

Focusing on By hand
Shoe Re-Crafting
Short run Leather Goods
Esoteric Supplies

Nathan Baxter, Baxter & Black 0414 568 114.

iSurg

Reaction score
JM, I get what you are trying to say... but....

Making this my last point:

I guess, with shoes (and life in general), there are many elements which are unseen but are perceived contributors to quality, for those so inclined.

Another good example would be a beveled waist. Again, if you spent X hundreds to get that sexy beveled waist (on a part of a shoe that no one sees but you), why the eff wouldn't you get the flush toe taps? Putting on a plastic crescent tap on that would be an absolute travesty, and I think most would agree with me.

I think most people wear such expensive shoes for themselves and not others, and thus the MOST important person to impress and notice these trivial details is the wearer themselves. Whether or not others notice these details should not factor in the decision-making process.

You also continue to comment that having taps flushed is a subjective value judgement. I argue that you can't assert that unless you coordinate and run some weird #menswear double-blinded RCT. You would HAVE to use some other measurements apart from delayed wear on the sole. I would suggest looking at gait pattern, slip-trip events, scratching of floor surfaces, etc. But, that does sound majorly wanky. However, just because you can't prove effect doesn't mean it ceases to exist. So, I really just had a problem with your concept.

Sorry to keep harping on. Just 2c on sexy shoes that I have never owned and probably never will because I just don't make enough fuk u money.

Last edited:

Arch3r

Reaction score
And now, these....

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its not that great but you can spend and entertaining 2 hours there. I think there's still a small clothing exhibition upstairs associated with the "Blue" exhibition IIRC. Strangely they had info and clothes and dying with indigo etc from centuries ago but nothing on denim!!!

Its also Record Shop Day tomorrow and Melbourne has millions of record shops - many with live gigs tomorrow- check out the maps of what's on. There's a fair few shops within walking distance of the "Arts Precinct"

Thanks FXH. Had some fun at the exhibit. Melbourne is fun.
I'm curious - who has people looking at the soles of their shoes?

Isn't that what you see when you look into someone's eyes?

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious - who has people looking at the soles of their shoes?

The guy on the other side of the desk often looks at mine.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its not that great but you can spend and entertaining 2 hours there. I think there's still a small clothing exhibition upstairs associated with the "Blue" exhibition IIRC. Strangely they had info and clothes and dying with indigo etc from centuries ago but nothing on denim!!!

Interestingly enough, @Pink Socks , @MrKimber , another friend and myself went for a workshop to learn all about indigo dyeing (shibori). The 5 hour workshop was great fun and I've put some photos up on my blog:
http://gezzasmenswear.tumblr.com/post/142944198787/at-the-indigo-dyeing-workshop-we-got-a-chance-to
http://gezzasmenswear.tumblr.com/post/142944076097/i-attended-an-indigo-dyeing-workshop-today-and-it

After the workshop, we all got a chance to dye our own stuff so I dyed a Brooks Brothers OCBD, Sunspel long sleeve polo, French Connection short sleeve polo and a pair of Rivers socks. The first three were white and the last was cream. They now look beautiful and I can't wait to wear them. The six or so women were quite amused with the four of us and how interested we were in the process. @Pink Socks even dyed a cashmere scarf and it looks fantastic.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interestingly enough, @Pink Socks
 , @MrKimber
 , another friend and myself went for a workshop to learn all about indigo dyeing (shibori). The 5 hour workshop was great fun and I've put some photos up on my blog:
http://gezzasmenswear.tumblr.com/post/142944198787/at-the-indigo-dyeing-workshop-we-got-a-chance-to
http://gezzasmenswear.tumblr.com/post/142944076097/i-attended-an-indigo-dyeing-workshop-today-and-it

After the workshop, we all got a chance to dye our own stuff so I dyed a Brooks Brothers OCBD, Sunspel long sleeve polo, French Connection short sleeve polo and a pair of Rivers socks. The first three were white and the last was cream. They now look beautiful and I can't wait to wear them. The six or so women were quite amused with the four of us and how interested we were in the process. @Pink Socks
 even dyed a cashmere scarf and it looks fantastic.
Talking my language now

I'm guessing Tie Dye will come back in soonish.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads