1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Journeyman

Journeyman Distinguished Member

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh in my post, but the point that I was making is that, although flush toe-taps do look nicer than the crescent-shaped ones, they don't serve any greater practical purpose over and above the crescent-shaped ones, and what's more, no-one else will see them.

So while they might look nicer, you're the only person that will see them or notice them. Whether that's worth paying $100 and having the hassle of posting your shoes somewhere, as opposed to your regular cobbler fitting the crescent-shaped ones for $10 or $20, is clearly a subjective, value judgement.

2. jrb666

jrb666 Senior Member

I met a guy at the Double Monk opening in Sydney who may be able to assist. I'm pretty sure he mentioned that he did flush top taps.

His business card says:

Focusing on By hand
    Shoe Re-Crafting
    Short run Leather Goods
    Esoteric Supplies

Nathan Baxter, Baxter & Black 0414 568 114.

3. iSurg

iSurg Senior Member

JM, I get what you are trying to say... but....

Making this my last point:

I guess, with shoes (and life in general), there are many elements which are unseen but are perceived contributors to quality, for those so inclined.

Another good example would be a beveled waist. Again, if you spent X hundreds to get that sexy beveled waist (on a part of a shoe that no one sees but you), why the eff wouldn't you get the flush toe taps? Putting on a plastic crescent tap on that would be an absolute travesty, and I think most would agree with me.

I think most people wear such expensive shoes for themselves and not others, and thus the MOST important person to impress and notice these trivial details is the wearer themselves. Whether or not others notice these details should not factor in the decision-making process.

You also continue to comment that having taps flushed is a subjective value judgement. I argue that you can't assert that unless you coordinate and run some weird #menswear double-blinded RCT. You would HAVE to use some other measurements apart from delayed wear on the sole. I would suggest looking at gait pattern, slip-trip events, scratching of floor surfaces, etc. But, that does sound majorly wanky. However, just because you can't prove effect doesn't mean it ceases to exist. So, I really just had a problem with your concept.

Sorry to keep harping on. Just 2c on sexy shoes that I have never owned and probably never will because I just don't make enough fuk u money.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016

4. Arch3r

Arch3r Senior Member

And now, these....

[​IMG]

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Distinguished Member

Just topy the fuckers.

6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Distinguished Member

Few Loake 1880 boxes at Rekaris. Someone obviously got them in before the ban.

7. Petepan

Petepan Distinguished Member

Berluti?

8. nabilmust

nabilmust Distinguished Member

Thanks FXH. Had some fun at the exhibit. Melbourne is fun.
    Isn't that what you see when you look into someone's eyes?

9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Distinguished Member

The guy on the other side of the desk often looks at mine.

10. Arch3r

Arch3r Senior Member

And so the carousel keeps spinning... [​IMG]

Meccariello. Beautiful shoes if you have the dollars.

11. Petepan

Petepan Distinguished Member

Still pretty decent value for money.

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Distinguished Member

Interestingly enough, @Pink Socks , @MrKimber , another friend and myself went for a workshop to learn all about indigo dyeing (shibori). The 5 hour workshop was great fun and I've put some photos up on my blog:
    http://gezzasmenswear.tumblr.com/post/142944198787/at-the-indigo-dyeing-workshop-we-got-a-chance-to
    http://gezzasmenswear.tumblr.com/post/142944076097/i-attended-an-indigo-dyeing-workshop-today-and-it

After the workshop, we all got a chance to dye our own stuff so I dyed a Brooks Brothers OCBD, Sunspel long sleeve polo, French Connection short sleeve polo and a pair of Rivers socks. The first three were white and the last was cream. They now look beautiful and I can't wait to wear them. The six or so women were quite amused with the four of us and how interested we were in the process. @Pink Socks even dyed a cashmere scarf and it looks fantastic.

13. fxh

fxh Distinguished Member

Talking my language now

I'm guessing Tie Dye will come back in soonish.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Distinguished Member

You know that I put the brand of socks in just for you, right?

15. Foxhound

Foxhound Distinguished Member

What do you mean back. I see young people wearing it all the time.