• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tocklishchap

Reaction score

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived in a Department of Main Roads squat in Glebe back in 84 it was bought to make way for a freeway which never arrived. So was the lower end of Darlinghurst, roads to nowhere, in the late 70’s early 80’s. The Compound, Bourke St, a womens collective, (little rich girls and the odd politicians daughter) took over a corner pub…however no one ever owned a Mercedes.

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
I lived in a Department of Main Roads squat in Glebe back in 84 it was bought to make way for a freeway which never arrived. So was the lower end of Darlinghurst, roads to nowhere, in the late 70’s early 80’s. The Compound, Bourke St, a womens collective, (little rich girls and the odd politicians daughter) took over a corner pub…however no one ever owned a Mercedes.

I very much draw a distinction between squatting in empty or abandoned properties, whether residential or commercial, and invading people’s homes. We had a squatters’ movement in London after WW2 when housing was scarce and in the 1960s/70s when there were a lot of abandoned buildings, some of them scheduled for unnecessary demolition. There were also empty tower blocks: London’s Centrepoint (then considered a skyscraper!) was largely empty and was squatted for some time.

A lot of very positive political and social change has come out of squatting - and many of the 60s/70s squatters were ahead of their time as they saw the value of old buildings and opposed the breakdown of local communities caused by high rise as well as the pollution caused by new roads. ‘Back to back’ housing that survives now sells for over £1M.

What I object to is the kind of squatting mentioned in that report, but even more so the invasion of old or vulnerable people’s homes by gang members. It’s a social justice issue as it happens in poor and deprived areas, which is why the authorities do little to stop it. Probably this problem doesn’t exist in Australia?

When Boris was Mayor of London a lot of new yuppie flats were built by developers and bought largely by overseas investors/speculators (many of them Russian!) and then left empty. They are a bit of a grey area as far as the ethics of squatting are concerned. …

I manage properties for a living and so I shouldn’t be speaking in favour of any type of squatting!

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had friends who squatted in London in the 80’s they had Australians living with them. Enjoyed the music and stories of Bondi Beach. They were fed up with Thatcher migrated and live happily ever after in OZ.

The actions of the individual in the article posted by Journey Man are simply a case of theft.

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
@Geoffrey Firmin : Thatcher. … That seems a different era now - when I was a schoolboy and an undergraduate. The series ‘It’s a Sin’ (has it come to Oz) captured something of the zeitgeist in London especially. It was a very right wing era in some ways, with a far left as well (mainly Trotskyist groupuscles), but it was also exciting and dynamic culturally. The legacy of Thatcher, and a parallel legacy of resistance to Thatcher, persist to this day.
The current right wing populism (which cannibalises some aspects of the left) is a new phenomenon in mainstream politics and life here. It’s alarmingly like the One Nation party (or the National Front in the 70s/80s) in some of its rhetoric and programmes.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Popularism is a cancer in the body politic. And the Liberals look set to enthrone a far right Opus Dei Nazi as Premier..:brick::censored:

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
@Geoffrey Firmin : Is the Opus Dei Nazi a possible replacement for Gladys as NSW Premier? God help NSW!

We don’t have a ‘religious right’ element in our populist government at the moment - although Boris would be quite prepared to appeal to ‘Christian values’ like Viktor Orbán if he thought there were votes in it. Brexit is a substitute religion: we are in chaos at the moment with a serious shortage of workers but this is because the economy is ‘reawakening’ apparently! The Tories now claim that immigrants (especially from ‘Europe’; we’re no longer part of ‘Europe’) push wages down and deprive ‘British workers’ of jobs and training. It’s the same argument once used by the far left against the Single Market and the National Front against immigration. …

Next thing Boris will be saying that ‘the British people’ need to have more children - lie back and think of Brexit. … He of course has had at least six children by different partners (boasting once that he ‘couldn’t remember’ how many ‘kids’ he had). This is one of the reasons he attracts the redneck vote.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Geoffrey Firmin : Is the Opus Dei Nazi a possible replacement for Gladys as NSW Premier? God help NSW!

We don’t have a ‘religious right’ element in our populist government at the moment - although Boris would be quite prepared to appeal to ‘Christian values’ like Viktor Orbán if he thought there were votes in it. Brexit is a substitute religion: we are in chaos at the moment with a serious shortage of workers but this is because the economy is ‘reawakening’ apparently! The Tories now claim that immigrants (especially from ‘Europe’; we’re no longer part of ‘Europe’) push wages down and deprive ‘British workers’ of jobs and training. It’s the same argument once used by the far left against the Single Market and the National Front against immigration. …

Next thing Boris will be saying that ‘the British people’ need to have more children - lie back and think of Brexit. … He of course has had at least six children by different partners (boasting once that he ‘couldn’t remember’ how many ‘kids’ he had). This is one of the reasons he attracts the redneck vote.
My heart bleeds for the English…not!

For those interested Uniqlo have four colours of their linen long sleeve shirts on sale $19.99 at present. Quiet a good buy for a casual summer wear.

Also need suggestions for bricks & mortar sneaker store(s) in Sydney once lockdown is over.

Nolvadex

Reaction score
What sunglasses does everyone wear? I've been wearing persols for the past 10 in years or so but I always eventually lose them. Anything as nice as persols but a bit cheaper?

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
What sunglasses does everyone wear? I've been wearing persols for the past 10 in years or so but I always eventually lose them. Anything as nice as persols but a bit cheaper?
Randolph Engineering but they are hard to find in Australia.

Just as good are American Optical which I think can be purchased at Double Monk in Syd or Melb

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moscot, Oliver People’s friend of mine is taken by Maui Jim. If your in Sydney look in at George Skoufis in Paddington once lockdown has lifted.

BananaKing

Reaction score
Another vote for Maui Jim quality. Some of the best lenses available. Style wise they don’t have as much range as the fashion brands but still plenty to choose from. And are also one of the few independent/non-Luxottica owned known brands still around.

But they’re still expensive so don’t fit exactly what you’re looking for.

Last edited:

BananaKing

Reaction score
Any suggestions on who makes a decent quality (and priced) woven leather belt? ~3cm width

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads