• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Thank you for that Ryan. It’s actually not that difficult to get an Irish passport if you have the right documentation, which I’m sure you do. There has been more of a demand for them since the Brexit vote (which was a narrow result and N. Ireland voted decisively against).

For me the Irish passport has immediate advantages for travelling in Europe and keeping a European as well as British and Irish (and Australian) identity. It’s good to have multiple identities ?especially in a more interconnected - and more uncertain - world.

I wish I knew Ireland better and hope to travel there a bit more in future. I have a lot of remote relatives there. Northern Ireland was an afterthought for the populist-right wing Brexit lobby in England, many of whom I think would actually like to go back to a ‘hard border’. We now have a hard border with mainland Europe - which is proving a bit of a disaster now.?

Ha, now that's another discussion!

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
Ha, now that's another discussion!
Happy to have that with you sometime. I don’t have simplistic or binary views on the underlying issues around Brexit, but the form of Brexit and its implementation have been disastrous. The strangely (and ironically) un-British populist phase we are going through is scary and a dead end at the same time.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me the Irish passport has immediate advantages for travelling in Europe and keeping a European as well as British and Irish (and Australian) identity. It’s good to have multiple identities ?especially in a more interconnected - and more uncertain - world.

This is the right forum for multiple identities.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The future is not what you think it is.

ryanohare

Reaction score
They should create some form of Nobel prize for dystopian filmmaking torture and donate it to anyone who can make it through all 16 minutes of that thing.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They should create some form of Nobel prize for dystopian filmmaking torture and donate it to anyone who can make it through all 16 minutes of that thing.
According to an article in the AFR it was inspired by Logans Run

NikG

Reaction score
If anyone is interested I have a pair of Carmina horsebit loafers that just arrived, but are unfortunately too big.

1632976828508.png

They are a size 9 UK and have toe taps installed (hence can’t return to Carmina). Looking to recoup my losses and purchase a smaller size. Hoping for $550 shipped.

Last edited:

RGLZ

Reaction score
I have a pair of Lusso Cloud Pelli in indigo that I want to get rid of, brand new, too small. Insanely comfortable, will be buying the bigger size. $150, US10 however fits small - fits US9.

Attachments

• images.jpeg-1.jpg
    images.jpeg-1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

boot_owl

Reaction score
I have a pair of Lusso Cloud Pelli in indigo that I want to get rid of, brand new, too small. Insanely comfortable, will be buying the bigger size. $150
might have a bit more luck if y'know, you told us what size it was lol

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Festival of the Boot is over. A summer of cricket confronts us…SNAFU

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a quintessentially Australian news story, involving a squatter, a Mercedes, and an affluent Melbourne suburb. It could be the basis of an updated version of Waltzing Matilda!

Also, "Manny Carbone" just seems like a great name for a lawyer.

Squatter news article.jpeg

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
I thought this was a quintessentially Australian news story, involving a squatter, a Mercedes, and an affluent Melbourne suburb. It could be the basis of an updated version of Waltzing Matilda!

View attachment 1679610

Manny Carbone sounds like a Michael Connelly character. …

Don’t worry: this could easily happen in lawless Brexitland. Things are worse here - in working class neighbourhoods, it’s become quite common for gang members to squat in old or vulnerable people’s homes, keep the legal owner or tenant prisoner and use the place as a drug den. The police usually do nothing (they probably have corrupt links with the criminals in many cases) and social services often don’t intervene even when petitioned by neighbours. There was a case recently in inner London of two people being murdered by ‘squatters’ of this type, but it was unusual in gaining publicity. Children (often in council ‘care’) are also often used as drug couriers.

I’m not normally an authoritarian and I am a strong supporter of rehabilitation and alternatives to prison. But in the case of those who hurt old or vulnerable people, or exploit children, there should be no mercy.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1679610
HAH! I now view the property market in a whole new light.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads