• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Duchamp_MD

Reaction score
I would like to recommend Christie's RAAF A-2 leather jacket to those of us who wants a good quality trim-fitting leather jacket, http://www.christies.net.au/list.mibiznez?id=325&name=NO PATCH. I purchased one in 40R today from the Pitt St store. It's currently on sale for $235, probably the best value leather jacket out there, comes in sizes from 36 to 48, Short, Regular and Long. I bought the same jacket a couple of years back in 38R, but has put a bit of weight around my gut and passed that onto my wife; I also have a Contact Gear A-2 jacket in S, from the military shop, https://www.militaryshop.com.au/features/a2.html, its goat skin shell is a lot more stiff and dry compare to Christie's, and the hides have a lot more loose grain and insect bites. Its fit follows the modernized US specs of fuller roomy fit. Its S feels roomier than my Christie's 40R.

Christie's jacket is built to spec label 30-1415, the original spec from 1931 that was used in WWII, it is a shirt-like jacket. It should be worn zipped up, its original purpose was a windbreaker, so no layering on top of a shirt. Speaking from my own experience, if you choose a looser fit, the armhole gets quite big with overhanging epaulets, not to mention the excess leather on the chest. If the jacket fits close to your body you may have the most ease in movement, just like how a suit jacket should fit.

"The basic components of the leather shell of an A-2 jacket consist of one piece of leather for the back, one piece for each of the left and right front panels, and two pieces for each sleeve running the length of the sleeve. Wartime commercial versions (i.e., not government contract) and many post-war replicas sometimes use additional pieces for the back and sleeves."

"One characteristic that A-2 pockets definitely did not have was the side-entry or "hand-warmer" secondary pockets. This is strictly a commercial embellishment."

Having 3 large pieces of leather for the body, and 2 long pieces for each sleeve, meaning there will be some loose grain hide being utilized to keep the cost down, unless you want to pay around $2000 for a jacket.

Looking at the photos below, you can see the variances in the colours of the cotton lining and goat skin from different production batches.

View attachment 995305

View attachment 995306

View attachment 995307
Hi,
Thanks for the post. I’m thinking of buying the Christie’s A2 jacket. Would you know if it has any inside pockets say to put a wallet? Also you mentioned you had 2x Christie’s jackets with a slight difference in the leather colour. Is the quality of the leather the same between the 2 Christie’s jackets?
Cheers Duchamp.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the post. I’m thinking of buying the Christie’s A2 jacket. Would you know if it has any inside pockets say to put a wallet? Also you mentioned you had 2x Christie’s jackets with a slight difference in the leather colour. Is the quality of the leather the same between the 2 Christie’s jackets?
Cheers Duchamp.
No inside pockets on mine

boot_owl

Reaction score
Hi boot_owl, could you post a picture or two of your Christie’s a2 jacket for me to take a look? Cheers!
653DE8A1-C821-4FC6-9F77-07F66D62B6F8.jpeg
DD3D97A5-360A-40C8-9A93-FB2D1816B4F0.jpeg
sure. Not exactly stock configuration (I added a detachable shearling collar),but everything else is as purchased. Probably 3.5 years old now and still looks/feels geeat

Duchamp_MD

Reaction score
Wow, the jacket looks awesome! Looks like a custom G1, Lt Pete Maverick style 😎 How’s the fit? Is it slim or puffy under the arms?

boot_owl

Reaction score
Wow, the jacket looks awesome! Looks like a custom G1, Lt Pete Maverick style 😎 How’s the fit? Is it slim or puffy under the arms?
Slightly looser, but I sized up to 42 from my usual 38 to get the length I wanted

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The great H.G.Nelson said it all “a weekend when too much sport is not enough.” No matter what your religious affiliation this weekend has it all Rugby,NRL & AFL🥳

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
The great H.G.Nelson said it all “a weekend when too much sport is not enough.” No matter what your religious affiliation this weekend has it all Rugby,NRL & AFL🥳
I was born in Melbourne and lived there the first six years of my life and so I can claim a legitimate interest in AFL.

Incidentally I wonder if you can have too much sport?

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
I have been looking for an Auscam Australian Army Woolly Pully of the kind illustrated in the links below - to add to my already extensive collection of its British equivalent in various colours and iterations.
Can any Australian member of the Forum vouch for the reliability of the surplus dealer I have found online at Golbourn NSW?

auscam-woolly-pully
auscam-military-jumper

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
On another note, I am considering applying for an Australian passport, to which I am entitled as I was born there and lived in Australia for six years - and am still very proud of that despite living in England for most of my life. However I shall have to check the dual nationality laws. I am British/Irish at the moment, having taken Irish nationality (being part Irish) in 2016 for reasons that are probably not hard to guess at. … I certainly don’t want to give up the Irish passport because they have been like gold dust for the past five years!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another note, I am considering applying for an Australian passport, to which I am entitled as I was born there and lived in Australia for six years
Are either of your parents Australian?

Australia has no problems with people holding multiple nationalities. However, from 1986 onwards, it has only awarded citizenship based on the nationality of one, or both, parents (jus sanguinis). Being born in, or spending time living in, Australia doesn't entitle a person to Australian citizenship simply by virtue of being born here (jus soli).

If you were born in Australia between 1949 and 1986 you may be fine, as you may still be able to apply for citizenship based on your birth here during that time.

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
Are either of your parents Australian?

Australia has no problems with people holding multiple nationalities. However, from 1986 onwards, it has only awarded citizenship based on the nationality of one, or both, parents (jus sanguinis). Being born in, or spending time living in, Australia doesn't entitle a person to Australian citizenship simply by virtue of being born here (jus soli).

If you were born in Australia between 1949 and 1986 you may be fine, as you may still be able to apply for citizenship based on your birth here during that time.
Thank you for that very clear explanation of the legalities. Neither of my parents is Australian but I was born there almost mid-point between 1949 and 1986 - namely in 1966.

While we’re on nationality laws, I acquired Irish citizenship because my father and grandfather were born in Northern Ireland, which falls within the Irish government’s criteria for Irish nationality. I have less of a direct connection with either part of Ireland than I have either with Australia or much of mainland Europe, because I have only been to Belfast and Dublin for very brief visits! Why did I take an Irish passport? The clue is in the year: 2016!

ryanohare

Reaction score
On another note, I am considering applying for an Australian passport, to which I am entitled as I was born there and lived in Australia for six years - and am still very proud of that despite living in England for most of my life. However I shall have to check the dual nationality laws. I am British/Irish at the moment, having taken Irish nationality (being part Irish) in 2016 for reasons that are probably not hard to guess at. … I certainly don’t want to give up the Irish passport because they have been like gold dust for the past five years!
Same boat my friend.

Born and raised in Northern Ireland, had two passports my whole life (Irish & British), and now down to just the one - Australian. I often think about going back through the process of getting an Irish one again, but haven't gotten round to it I guess.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.