1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Or Midsomers Murders

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

RL and for a weekend outdoors in a Canberra winter it's fine, water and wind resistant.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

In my comprehensive 3 monthly audit (wander) of Melbourne s clothing retailers men's and women's - I've made the observation that Burnt Orange (and other less attractive variations) are this seasons new black.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

What! I won't look like the Tax Man?

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Word is the big retailers are not shifting winter stock at all - especially here in Melbourne - the never ending election won't help as people slow down retail spending until election is over.

So we need either/or both an extended cold snap of at least a week to stimulate sales and the election to be over for sales of heavy coats etc to pick up.

6. Geoffrey Firmin

CR Sportscraft Ternary are discounting between 25-40% on their winter stock already.

7. conqueror

conqueror Senior member

hey, i'm heading to sydney soon and have a few quick questions.

1. is there anywhere in the CBD where i can try on trickers and churchs other than double monk + henry buck? what are their selections (and pricing) usually like?
    2. any CBD stores to pick up a nice tie or two? i'm not sure if kazuna, oscar hunt etc have ready-made ones to purchase? 'nice' to me for a tie is less than $120ish, so drakes etc is probably too much for my blood.
    3. if anyone can suggest a decent italian restaurant in the CBD where i can make a booking for dinner it'd be appreciated. happy to pay up to $200 for 2 (neither myself or my partner drink, so wine etc isn't a consideration). nothing too stuffy because i'll probably be wearing jeans and vans or something.

thanks to everyone in advance.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  8. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Kazuna has ties you can buy in store

1 person likes this.
  9. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

I ski in a burnt orange alpine technical jacket. For some reason people assume I'm ski patrol, so I can't hang around too long in one place. It's the high-vis aspect...

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  10. crdb

crdb Senior member

Not quite CBD but a 5 minute Uber away, had a lovely dinner recently at Ombretta in Glebe. They rotate through Italian regions every week (I think) and present a fresh menu accordingly, although it will be very different from the "international Italian style". Relaxed atmosphere with great service. Should easily be within budget.

If you have to stick around CBD, Redoak was not too bad the one time I went but gets crowded even on weeknights.

If you're willing to adventure beyond Italian (well, it's sort of Italian in spirit) and beyond CBD, the Farmhouse in Kings Cross is a destination, and still well within budget.

1 person likes this.
  11. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Hi gents, any advice on top shelf quality m65 jacket. Also a quick review of my recently acquired Barbour heritage liddesdale jacket. Heritage line is slim fit. There is a great amount of waist suppression. Best to take your normal size. I went down a size to an xs. Luckily it still fits quite good, even over a suit. Mine looks very fitted. Downside of a fitted jacket is no further room on shoulder and armholes . It is easy to wear over suit and don't scream for attention(blacked out snap buttons also helps).And best part is keeps you warm during cold mornings. I am surprised how quickly it became an essential item of my wardrobe. I would suggest you go for a navy ; as it's more versatile and formal option. There are 2 version of this jacket Classic and heritage. Classic is very boxy and you must drop a size. It is very light weight and I can easily pack it inside my briefcase (Folson 247). It's shower and wind proof - but not waterproof. Great jacket to throw over a suit on a rainy day if you are also carrying an umbrella.Pictures will follow soon. Anyone planning to buy a jacket this winter to wear casually and also over tailored clothing; consider this seriously. Bang per bucks- great value. I picked mine for $170 aud including shipping from end during the recent sale. Xs measurements- s17", chest 40.5", l29" and sleeves 26".

12. Contango

Contango Senior member

Head down to Otto at Woolloomooloo on the wharf.

http://ottoristorante.com.au/menu/

Close enough to the CBD.

Nowadays I think it's a safe enough bet that you won't see Lawsie there to risk it.

2 people like this.
  13. Geoffrey Firmin

Fratelli Fresh in Bridge St. Personally I prefer Walsh Bay food is consistently good.

3 people like this.
  14. sliq

sliq Senior member

my favourite Italian is at Pastizzi in Newtown. about 10 mins from cbd depending on how horrendous King st is.

1 person likes this.
  15. sliq

sliq Senior member

Aspesi?

1 person likes this.
  16. em36

em36 Senior member

Excellent suggestion. If you want to get out of the CBD, and enjoy fantastic Italian food, suggest any of the restos in Haberfield.

17. sliq

sliq Senior member

Pasticeria Papa in haberfield bake a mean ricotta cheesecake [​IMG]

18. crappbag

crappbag Senior member

Pendelino in the Strand Arcade would be my go to option for upmarket Italian in the CBD. Has a very intimate vibe as well.

1 person likes this.
  19. crappbag

crappbag Senior member

I have a Paul Smith M65 which I quite enjoy as a light layering piece. Not to start the the urban huntsman argument again but pic below.
    [​IMG]

Second that on the Liddesdale - Amazed at the lightness.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Urban huntsman.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.