• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RMWs? The Sultan is not impressed.

Sultan.png

Davewillbox

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a decent cobbler in Brisbane that does a good job installing Dainite soles? I've been sending mine down South after a bad experience. I've got a few pairs I'd like to have done and the postage is starting to add up.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a decent cobbler in Brisbane that does a good job installing Dainite soles?

The only decent cobbler in Brisbane, as far as I am aware, is John at Joe's Shoe Repairs in Coorparoo (John is the son of the eponymous Joe, who died some years ago).

I have not had any shoes resoled there, but other people speak highly of him, so I'd say that it's certainly worth having a chat.

Davewillbox

Reaction score
The only decent cobbler in Brisbane, as far as I am aware, is John at Joe's Shoe Repairs in Coorparoo (John is the son of the eponymous Joe, who died some years ago).

I have not had any shoes resoled there, but other people speak highly of him, so I'd say that it's certainly worth having a chat.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll give John a call and report back on what he says.

BananaKing

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I’ll give John a call and report back on what he says.
Have had John do some Topys and smaller odd jobs. He gave a flush toe plate replacement a go when I provided the plate and screws. It wasn’t a very clean job but functional enough. I’m thankful we have someone who is around Brisbane to do some of these smaller jobs without too much worry but I’d just be a little cautious of dropping in your very best shoes for a full resole as I haven’t seen direct evidence of how tidy his resole work is.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here tried Spier and Mackay? Similar to SuitSupply. Mob in Canada; might be using the same factory as Susu. Some nice kit in their online catalog.

Bought two sport jackets... just got the second one. Soft tailoring. Drago fabric. Similar to the Susu Havana cut, but there’s a slim block and a contemporary block. Havana cut is closer to the contemporary block.

Heavy discounts during sale season and it looks like they have an online custom made option too but with the added benefit of being able to key in measurements, unlike SuitSupply.

There is a giant thread here with plenty of feedback and photos.

I haven't tried the suits or jackets, but the trousers ("casual cotton", chinos, linen-silk, wool) have all been good value for money. The purple label shirts are great if they fit you, they do prefer a slim athletic shape compared to the UK brands and their tents - of course MTM is an option for not much more to address that if it's an issue.

The polos are pretty bad, they look fine for the first couple of wears but the cotton used frays after 3-4 washes. I have 5 year old Uniqlo cotton polos that look newer than Spier polos washed a couple of times. To be fair I bought the polos for US$9 each so can't really complain about value for money.

I like that Rick does not take much risk with styling, but the colours can be a bit bright. Shipping to Sydney used to be about 10 days pre-COVID (haven't tried since). That makes it worth doing a trial order with one of each item. Possibly because Rick uses different factories, each "line" has a different fit (e.g. purple vs black label shirts - the former has a tighter waist) so it's worth trying one before you buy in bulk.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a giant thread here with plenty of feedback and photos.

I haven't tried the suits or jackets, but the trousers ("casual cotton", chinos, linen-silk, wool) have all been good value for money. The purple label shirts are great if they fit you, they do prefer a slim athletic shape compared to the UK brands and their tents - of course MTM is an option for not much more to address that if it's an issue.

The polos are pretty bad, they look fine for the first couple of wears but the cotton used frays after 3-4 washes. I have 5 year old Uniqlo cotton polos that look newer than Spier polos washed a couple of times. To be fair I bought the polos for US$9 each so can't really complain about value for money.

I like that Rick does not take much risk with styling, but the colours can be a bit bright. Shipping to Sydney used to be about 10 days pre-COVID (haven't tried since). That makes it worth doing a trial order with one of each item. Possibly because Rick uses different factories, each "line" has a different fit (e.g. purple vs black label shirts - the former has a tighter waist) so it's worth trying one before you buy in bulk.
Yeah... I know about the thread. Just wondered if any other Aussies had given them a try. Haven’t tried their shirts, only two sport jackets and so far so good. The Contemporary block in 38S is perfect for me. And thanks to the non functional sleeve buttons, alterations are not an issue. Just waiting on a tobacco brown linen suit, a pair of cream cords, and a new season brown and blue check sport jacket. Bought quite a few things as they’ve had a major sale in the last few weeks.

Davewillbox

Reaction score
Have had John do some Topys and smaller odd jobs. He gave a flush toe plate replacement a go when I provided the plate and screws. It wasn’t a very clean job but functional enough. I’m thankful we have someone who is around Brisbane to do some of these smaller jobs without too much worry but I’d just be a little cautious of dropping in your very best shoes for a full resole as I haven’t seen direct evidence of how tidy his resole work is.
Ok that’s good to know. I’ve got some Alden 975s next on the list and would rather leave them with someone I know will do a good job. I might wait for some beaters to try with Joe’s.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven’t tried their shirts, only two sport jackets and so far so good. The Contemporary block in 38S is perfect for me.

CEP, did you have any Herringbone suits in the old Osaka or New York blocks? If so, did you take a 38 in those, too?

Alternatively, do you have any Corneliani-made RL Polo suits?

I'm just wondering how S&M sizing compares to something that I'm already accustomed to wearing.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CEP, did you have any Herringbone suits in the old Osaka or New York blocks? If so, did you take a 38 in those, too?

Alternatively, do you have any Corneliani-made RL Polo suits?

I'm just wondering how S&M sizing compares to something that I'm already accustomed to wearing.
The jackets I have are pretty close to the Osaka. And I took 38 in those too. All their suits and jackets come in either slim or contemporary blocks. I’d say the ‘contemporary’ fit is closer to the Osaka. Wider lapels, a decent amount of chest drape and sufficient waist suppression but not too much.

If you’ve tried SuitSupply, think Havana block. Except SM jackets have wider lapels and the shoulder line extends out a bit more, which imo is visually more appealing.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a replacement pair of dog wslkers saw the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 any opinions? Are they any good or just a fashion statement?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads