• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ovlov

Reaction score
SO I think I have an idea as to why Brooks Brothers just isn't viable here in Australia.

What was it? 2 weeks ago that they had the 40% + 20% off sale?

I placed one order (with free shipping obviously) for 3 shirts, 2 pairs of socks and 1 pair of boxer shorts.

Last week I received a package via Australia Post containing 1 shirt.
Yesterday I received a package via DHL containing 1 shirt and 1 pair of socks.
Today I received 2 seperate Aus post packages in the mail. One contained a single pair of socks and the other one, a pair of boxer shorts.
Once my final shirt arrives, they would have sent out 5 packages including a DHL that must have cost them at least $50 for a $300~ discounted purchase...

Has anyone else else ever experience such bizarre mailing practices??

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
SO I think I have an idea as to why Brooks Brothers just isn't viable here in Australia.

What was it? 2 weeks ago that they had the 40% + 20% off sale?

I placed one order (with free shipping obviously) for 3 shirts, 2 pairs of socks and 1 pair of boxer shorts.

Last week I received a package via Australia Post containing 1 shirt.
Yesterday I received a package via DHL containing 1 shirt and 1 pair of socks.
Today I received 2 seperate Aus post packages in the mail. One contained a single pair of socks and the other one, a pair of boxer shorts.
Once my final shirt arrives, they would have sent out 5 packages including a DHL that must have cost them at least $50 for a $300~ discounted purchase...

in B2B, yes. The company would take a bulk order, then send it out in a bunch of separate parcels as they produced it, then would try charging postage for each parcel instead of just shipping the lot at once.
For reference they used to ship bulk orders in one go, then tried changing to this a few months ago without saying anything. Needless to say, none of the clients were impressed.

Never come across anything like that in B2C though. That's just plain inefficient.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've ordered quite a bit from Brooks Brothers over the past few years - far more than I needed to!

Up until the past couple of weeks, I only ever received one parcel for a each order, and orders were always dispatched rapidly.

However, two weeks ago I placed an order three shirts. I received shipping notification and, a few days later, received a package containing one shirt, apparently dispatched from the Martin Place store. On the same day, I received an e-mail informing me that one of the other shirts in my order was out of stock and that I would receive a refund. The refund was processed that same day. However, there was no mention at all of the third shirt, so I sent a message to BB's customer service. I received a prompt response to say that items sometimes come from different locations and so shipping will sometimes be at different times. Sure enough, a couple of days later, I received shipping notification for the third shirt and I received it today, dispatched from a Birkenhead store.

So this is unusual, and I'm sure that it's related to BB closing down most (or all) of its stores here. They're no doubt moving a lot of stock around and sorting a lot of things out and so that's created issues with their stock management system.

criedwolf

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about or tried bespoke shirts from marboshirt.com.au before?

boot_owl

Reaction score
Flush solid brass toe taps on my cigar aldens by Kieran the cobbler. The brass taps are completely flat unlike the lulu steel ones so they don’t sit perfectly on the sides, but this will wear flat. bonus pic of new Winson engineer boots
A2412DC0-2451-4B4E-8BBB-0CF2A04218B1.jpeg
C69E4935-1571-49E0-987D-AE5CD8209FAE.jpeg
1B62B1C5-90B0-4390-BB95-BC0613EA31A4.jpeg

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Drakes summer sale is now on, just in time for our winter chill. The Rake sale has some of their items at a cheaper price if you can find your size.

ovlov

Reaction score
The Drakes summer sale is now on, just in time for our winter chill. The Rake sale has some of their items at a cheaper price if you can find your size.

What is with the Rake? They seem to stock a bit if everything and have prices often cheaper than elsewhere. It makes me feel like they're a hi end Wal-Mart or something. Which feels disingenuous, but whenever I go to buy something I have a strong urge to look somewhere else. Am I just crazy? How is their CS? Or how can they carry such cheap prices?

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is with the Rake? They seem to stock a bit if everything and have prices often cheaper than elsewhere. It makes me feel like they're a hi end Wal-Mart or something. Which feels disingenuous, but whenever I go to buy something I have a strong urge to look somewhere else. Am I just crazy? How is their CS? Or how can they carry such cheap prices?

Have purchased from them with no issue. One time something took a little longer than usual but when I inquired they emailed straight back explaining the situation. Sometimes things take longer but I'm not fussed. We should have more high end Wal Marts. I like the mish mash of brands and products.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score

Their CS is good. Only catch is the shipping charges. Though when I had to return something I bought there, they refunded the shipping cost too, which I thought was a nice gesture.

flashjack

Reaction score
I got a fairly lousy CS response for sizing advice from some stock they didn't hold in their warehouse.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone in Sydney been to Blue Works on George St? Interesting product range just wondering about pricing.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super random one, but does anyone want to buy a pair of near-new Adidas x Missoni Ultra Boosts in 7.5?

8175F14D-BB39-46E2-BC40-5C5B633451F7.jpeg

They‘re a bit tight for my feet which is a shame as they’re incredibly cool looking. Worn a couple of times around the house (clean other than very light marks to undersole).

HMU if you’re interested and I’ll shoot you some pics (the one above is not me; I know how to hem my trousers properly!).

On a related note, I’ve spend most of isolation in activewear and damn it’s nice not having to iron.

Pulled on a suit today for a (virtual) court hearing and I hardly knew myself...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads