• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ovlov

Reaction score
Yes, the upcharge for trunk shows can be quite substantial, due to travel costs, accommodation and so on. Also, if they are being hosted by a business, there can be a monetary relationship there, too, which increases the cost of the clothing.

That's disappointing. I would have thought that when travelling they would get enough orders to make it worthwhile for them even at standard pricing. Especially when you consider theu could certainly claim on all the travel expenses as well.

I'll never have the opportunity to spend a few months in Naples though, so I suppose I have no choice but to pay the premium if i ever want to try Neapolitan tailoring. Or I guess I can go MTM .

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, they’ve always been overpriced for what they offered I found.

Well, I suspect that was one of the major obstacles to the success of their Australian business - prices are higher here because we get charged the "Australia tax". The tyranny of distance, smaller market, high retail rents and other overheads all combine to mean higher prices.

I do really like Brooks Brothers' button-down collar shirts. The Regent cut fits me very well off the rack and they have some great fabrics and fabric patterns for casual shirts. They've had some really great knitwear over the past few years, too.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought most of my BB clothing from the US when the peso had parity with the dollar.

There were a number of accessories which I bought at Martin Place for exceptionally good prices during various sales.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Details please.
In the pre-NBL days I played grade b'ball in the State League for Southern Districts; mostly in the seconds. I was dwarfed be almost everybody, so I had to do a lot of work to get fit enough to be competitive, but I was never drop 8 lean.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of BB shirts (~6) for sale. All about 17" - 17.5 " neck size - not slim cut. All BD. Can post pics and measurements if anyone is interested. All in good lightly used nick.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the pre-NBL days I played grade b'ball in the State League for Southern Districts; mostly in the seconds. I was dwarfed be almost everybody, so I had to do a lot of work to get fit enough to be competitive, but I was never drop 8 lean.

That's great. I played socially a bit for a while down at the old Albert Park complex. Never that good, but it was fun.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's great. I played socially a bit for a while down at the old Albert Park complex. Never that good, but it was fun.
Albert Park is where I played, sometimes at the Powerhouse. I remember this annoying little kid who used to hog the practice courts and make us all look bad; his name was Andrew Gaze.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could be. Are they more dress shirts, or casual-looking?

Correction:: I've got a bunch of BB shirts (~6) for sale. All about 17" - 17.5 " 16.5" - 17" neck size - not slim cut. All BD. Can post pics and measurements if anyone is interested. All in good lightly used nick.
Bit of both - depends on your definitions I suppose
IMG_20200215_131858209.jpg
IMG_20200215_131904779.jpg
IMG_20200215_131908240.jpg
IMG_20200215_131913710.jpg
IMG_20200215_131921447.jpg
IMG_20200215_131925405.jpg
IMG_20200215_131929265.jpg
IMG_20200215_131933176.jpg
IMG_20200430_124934517.jpg
IMG_20200430_124939785.jpg

Last edited:

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Albert Park is where I played, sometimes at the Powerhouse. I remember this annoying little kid who used to hog the practice courts and make us all look bad; his name was Andrew Gaze.

Ha! Yeah, his dad was still running the centre when we played. They actually lived in the house next door! I had a muck around on the front court with Drew when he was still playing. He was writing a 'how to' book with a friend of mine so they needed to do a training session so the author and artist could work some stuff out. Was great fun.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NikG

Reaction score
Gents,

what are your thoughts on the collection suits by mjbale.
Was looking at https://www.mjbale.com/products/kanagawa-suit-grey

And
No one seemed to mention anything about quality of the collection suits. They're really quite nice actually, especially for the price you get decent value. Full-canvas, made in Japan, some handwork but nothing to write home about, S150s from VBC (all their suits use VBC I think??) or Loro Piana. Most their suits are rather Italian styled and have some appealing patterns, but sometimes a little too wild imo.

Fit wise. Jacket seems to be same for me with both Drop 7 and Drop 8 (Drop 8 slightly more waist suppression, but to my liking as I'm tall and slim and need it anyways). Trousers I'm a size 30 in Drop 7 and practically every other trouser I own, however, I'm a 32 in Drop 8 (30 was way too slim through crotch, literally crushed my nuts) so size up in trousers.

My suggestion would be to have a look at outlets as they stock Collection suits from time to time for around half price. And as they regularly do extra 40% off storewide you can get one for around $350. Classic suits are also quite good value as they share pretty much same features as Collection suits just machine made in China (doesn't seem to affect quality of any my Classic suits compared to Collection) and they're readily available in all sizes in outlets and due to regularly extra 40% of sales can get them for around $250.

Rami-82

Reaction score
No one seemed to mention anything about quality of the collection suits. They're really quite nice actually, especially for the price you get decent value. Full-canvas, made in Japan, some handwork but nothing to write home about, S150s from VBC (all their suits use VBC I think??) or Loro Piana. Most their suits are rather Italian styled and have some appealing patterns, but sometimes a little too wild imo.

Fit wise. Jacket seems to be same for me with both Drop 7 and Drop 8 (Drop 8 slightly more waist suppression, but to my liking as I'm tall and slim and need it anyways). Trousers I'm a size 30 in Drop 7 and practically every other trouser I own, however, I'm a 32 in Drop 8 (30 was way too slim through crotch, literally crushed my nuts) so size up in trousers.

My suggestion would be to have a look at outlets as they stock Collection suits from time to time for around half price. And as they regularly do extra 40% off storewide you can get one for around $350. Classic suits are also quite good value as they share pretty much same features as Collection suits just machine made in China (doesn't seem to affect quality of any my Classic suits compared to Collection) and they're readily available in all sizes in outlets and due to regularly extra 40% of sales can get them for around $250.
350 for a 1200 suit.

good deal.

NikG

Reaction score
350 for a 1200 suit.

good deal.
Just have to find one in your size as there's usually not many Collection suits, however, if you find something you like can always ask them to check the system and see if any other outlets have it and they can ship it in for you. I can usually find 1 in my size.

Their regular outlet price is around $650. But they run extra 40% off promotion at least 4 times a year so just ask your nearby outlet to be put on their promotions list and you'll get an email when they have it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads