• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

aussiejake

Reaction score
Is Ekselman still the go-to in Melbourne for watch repairs? The Google reviews scare me.

Scuppers

Reaction score
Is Ekselman still the go-to in Melbourne for watch repairs? The Google reviews scare me.
For pre-1970s watches, he’s okay.
More modern watches: Michael Pressor - but nothing too complex.
Shonie, at Euro Watch Gallery, usually has a good recommendation, but he’s also very - hmmm. Won’t go there.
I had a brilliant chap in Armidale, now retired.

Have heard good and bad with regard to all of them.
Consider sending your watch back to manufacture - it really is a mine-field out there.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that summer that was not a summer is heading for extinction. I’ve been looking at corduroy trousers. Ha forget Lands End which i’ve bought in the past or LLBean. And by cor-du-roy I’m not interested in corduroy spandex. Which leaves only the English option any suggestions.

And classic quality cotton Brando style white t shirts. Nothing I have seen locally looks good.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GF, I've got a couple of pairs of wide-wale corduroy trousers from Charles Tyrwhitt that I wear every winter and they have done me very well.

I haven't bought anything from Tyrwhitt for some years, but a quick look at their website shows that they offer corduroy trousers in a few different cuts.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Journeyman are they cut like their chinos? Or do they have a higher rise?

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that summer that was not a summer is heading for extinction. I’ve been looking at corduroy trousers. Ha forget Lands End which i’ve bought in the past or LLBean. And by cor-du-roy I’m not interested in corduroy spandex. Which leaves only the English option any suggestions.

And classic quality cotton Brando style white t shirts. Nothing I have seen locally looks good.
Cordings might have what you're after as well: https://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear/trousers/corduroy

The False Prophet

Reaction score
Best quality tshirts I’ve found are Alex Mill. Stocked at Modern Classic Shop in Fitzroy. Not cheap.

I like Calida for affordable bulk purchases. Reasonable shipping rates from the Continent. Elastane content of about 2% will flatter the athletic but it’s not too unkind on the rest of us...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@California Dreamer @The False Prophet thanks but what I am after is that classic white T. With the sleeves a close fit on the upper arms. I bought a couple at a 7/11 in Tokyo in 2018 made from Australian cotton no less. Bonds do one but the cotton is a very poor quality and they lose their shape after a couple of washes.

The False Prophet

Reaction score
@California Dreamer @The False Prophet thanks but what I am after is that classic white T. With the sleeves a close fit on the upper arms. I bought a couple at a 7/11 in Tokyo in 2018 made from Australian cotton no less. Bonds do one but the cotton is a very poor quality and they lose their shape after a couple of washes.
The Alex Mill ones are pretty classic (ie, based off that retro military ’A shirt‘ style) and very flattering, although the cloth has a slightly varied texture to it which I like but which might not be your thing.

It occurs to me, Pickings and Parry also has some good quality retro/Americana stuff: Merz B Schwanen, Nigel Cabourn and probably some Japanese brands. There’s some Japanese stuff at Godspeed and Corlection too. And speaking of Japanese brands, Loopwheeler are very nice and I think there’s another one that’s similar - you’d have to go online though.

eightace

Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.