1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

Global.

Have use one in a commercial kitchen and home.

Thirty years ago it was all German knives.

2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Distinguished Member

A cook's knife, a carving knife, a 15 cm and a paring knife. And some good scissors. All you need.

Wusthof, mundial, global, all reliable.

3. mercury

mercury Well-Known Member

I use a set of Global knives as recommended by GF above.

They were recommended by Anthony Bourdain in his first book, Kitchen Confidential.
    Both the four knife Global blocks and the six knife blocks can be had on sale from various eBay sellers.

If you're deadset on Damascus steel, I saw House selling cheap sets when walking past e.g. https://www.house.com.au/product/baccarat-damashiro-knife-block-7-piece-oak

However before purchasing something like that, be sure to read reviews. I don't know anyone who's bought them, and it's practically 7 knives for the price of one Japanese knife from a reputable brand.

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Distinguished Member

Like any iGent purchase you really want to fondle the goods before pulling the trigger on any kop.

Weight, how the handle feels etc.

5. Foxhound

Foxhound Distinguished Member

Thanks again for everyone's replies. After a bit of reading this morning, and reading some of Bourdain's comments, I really don't need a big block/set. What I need (I think) is a chef's knife, a paring knife, and also a bread knife. I'd like to get them all the same, at least the chef's and paring knife, so I'l look out for a decent small combo set.

6. Bravo Sierra

Bravo Sierra Senior Member

@ovlov / all - try this guy out if you haven't been to Baxter yet. He is CBD based and does a personal pickup/drop off (as far as I remember). I know someone who is currently getting shoes re-stained/patinated (SIC?) by him, and having seen his previous mirror shines (high gloss captoes and gradual fades) I think he may be a good alternative.

Contact details:
    Anoush
    0452 221450

7. Bravo Sierra

Bravo Sierra Senior Member

Greetings and happy new year fellow sartorians!

I've been out for the count since July with a new bubba but am back in full swing.
    Here is the little tyke in full elf garb at Christmas time. Not SF sanctioned but fun none the less.

Hope santas sack was good to you in the man-cessories department.

....Speaking of which, as a heads up, I will be cleaning up my wardrobe and have several items like 7-fold ties (Bulgari, RLPL etc.), brand new eSpadrilles (New in box unworn - too small) that I need to offload which I will post over the coming days.

Hope you're all well,
    B.

elf2.jpeg

8. fxh

fxh Distinguished Member

What others said - you'll get a decent block set with scissors for almost the price of a single knife at times.

Pro Tip: A good bread knife will do anything. Slice tomatoes, carrots, bread, frozen tomato paste, ice cream, a roast beef/lamb/pork /chicken, and for @Prince of Paisley chop up a mull.
    Scissors are a must have.
    The least used utensil in my kitchen is the paring knife.

The most dangerous, so dangerous its been wrapped up and put way, is the Kinmen Knife - from a visit to the Island.
    http://sp-store.com/kinmens/store09.html
    http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2004/10/31/2003209161/1
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Geoffrey Firmin

Hannibal Lecters sashimi kit?

10. Foxhound

Foxhound Distinguished Member

What do people actually use kitchen scissors for?

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Distinguished Member

Cutting things. :p

Seriously, though, you can use them for roughly cutting herbs, spring onions and various things, and depending on how heavy-duty they are, you can use them for cutting up poultry, crustaceans and other such tasks.

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Distinguished Member

Agree; I never use the one I got in my Mundial set.

Since I started working in the local op shop I've been staggered at what comes into kitchenware. Because they're dangerous, knives go into our display case in a place where people don't readily see them. So far this year I've picked up knives by Wusthof, Mundial, Dick and Dovo Solingen for a few dollars each. So I'd say buy your basics according to your wallet, but keep your eyes peeled for the chance to add to them on the cheap.

13. meister

meister Distinguished Member

Is that the one they advertise on Instagram? Looks evil.

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Turkey wing joints.

15. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Distinguished Member

Impromptu brises.