• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
I used to go to mj balenbut I found their prices kept going up. The suits I had lasted well though.

I’ve also tried spier and Mackay who seem to be a forum favourite- it’s like a cult. Their suits were well priced and great quality for the price point.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably going to need to grab 2-3 suits soon for work (haven't ever worn suits for work), what's the go on entry level suits for work? MJ Bale? Suit Supply?
Patrick Johnson....Tailors.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably going to need to grab 2-3 suits soon for work (haven't ever worn suits for work), what's the go on entry level suits for work? MJ Bale? Suit Supply?

Suit supply is getting up there with this years price increases but overall the staples are still the best you can get for the price and with free shipping and a liberal return policy can't really go wrong. I was a big fan of MJB and still have some suits in the rotation but they've tightened their return policy recently on non full priced items and I'm not a fan.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Advantage of MJB is that I can try on in store. SS is only in Sydney, correct?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the market for a set of knives. Don’t need many, but would love Damascus steel. Are there good go to brands/sets that are on the cheaper side, but are great value for money.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IME, I prefer knives with softer blades that are easier to sharpen at home (but potentially more prone to shattering/chipping if you drop them) rather than blades that are massively heavy duty but need a professional sharpen every year or so.

Usually that means Japanese over German knives.

ryanohare

Reaction score

If you're prepared to wrangle your way through the madness, then I'd advise the MJB outlet stores in DFO South Wharf or Essendon. There's great deals to be had around the $300 range for suits in most colours and sizes. I pop in every so often and most of the time there's something worthwhile to be had.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Foxhound LM is correct with the German Japanese option.

Trident, Dicks or Brazilian brand,made in a German plant & steel, Mundial.

I still have a couple I use which are 30 years old from when I was in the industry.

Global blocks are good for all purpose home use. Make sure you get a Japanese wet stone. Found it better than standard oil stone.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IME, I prefer knives with softer blades that are easier to sharpen at home (but potentially more prone to shattering/chipping if you drop them) rather than blades that are massively heavy duty but need a professional sharpen every year or so.

Usually that means Japanese over German knives.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I prefer Japanese knives, too.

In reality, unless you are a professional chef, you really only need a couple of knives, rather than a full set.

Here's what I wrote some time ago about Japanese knives (although it was about buying knives in Japan): https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...his-is-all-about.518027/page-416#post-9087871

A lot of it depends upon yourself - what you cook, which hand you use, your own preferences and so on.

There are a large number of different knife types that you can get, probably 20 or more, ranging from cleavers to cut through bone, to small knives used to peel vegetables.

A lot of people probably only need one or two knives, such as a gyuto and a santoku. If you slice fish, you may also want a yanagiba.

Gyuto and santoku look fairly similar, but gyuto is larger and the two knives have different angles and different qualities.

My Japanese mother-in-law only has three knives that she uses daily - gyuto, santoku and nakiri. The latter has a square tip and is used for cutting vegetables. Despite its size, she also uses the nakiri for peeling vegetables, which I find quite amazing, but it's the result of decades of practice, I suppose.

With regard to price, you should be able to get really decent knives for $150 or so. Really, a lot of what non-Japanese people pay for in Japanese knives is appearance, rather than substance (rather like clothing), particularly the texturing/patterning on the blade, the material of the handle and so on. I still use a santoku that I bought for about $100 almost 20 years ago.

I prefer a Japanese-style, rounded handle but some people prefer the European-style shaped handle with the pins through it. You can usually find both handle types but the Japanese rounded handle will be more common.

See about getting a pair of kitchen scissors while you're there. Do be aware that they're not stainless steel and so the blades can show rust spots, but they will be the sharpest pair of kitchen scissors you'll have ever seen.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Journeyman due to the state of late capitalist market society you can buy a block set cheaper than buying individual knives.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GF - That is true, but it also depends on what knives. I've seen plenty of German-style knives in blocks, but I don't think that I've seen Japanese knives in blocks.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GF - That is true, but it also depends on what knives. I've seen plenty of German-style knives in blocks, but I don't think that I've seen Japanese knives in blocks.
Global.

Have use one in a commercial kitchen and home.

Thirty years ago it was all German knives.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics