1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. sliq

sliq Distinguished Member

interesting choice of patch pockets with doppio impuntura in a 4x1 configuration.. not my cup of tea.

2. ovlov

ovlov Senior Member

Might be a little to flambo for me too. My main point of interest was the cloth on a DB.

3. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior Member

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Distinguished Member

Looks very Rhodes & Beckett sale to me.

5. ovlov

ovlov Senior Member

Hey! That's a bit harsh now isn't it.

On a different note. Does anyone know a decent shoe polishing service in Sydney? None left here in Adelaide. I have a pair of Tan DMs that I've completely ruined somehow (whitish sheen over the who shoe and antiquing reduced to intermittent dark splotches) and I think need to be stripped back and repolished and antiqued from scratch. Must be beyond my skills since I did such a terrible job with them in the first place :(

6. Epicure

Epicure Senior Member

What's been the usual routine? Did you not buy these shoes recently? I seem to recall you made a post about the purchase not too long ago? You might want to post pics, if you want to try again yourself? There's also a dedicated shoe care thread that shouldn't be hard to come across if you do a search. I'm sure that you'd get at least several helpful replies there. Even if you do ultimately get someone else to do the job, what's stopping you from 'ruining' them again if you don't brush up (at least a little) on the knowledge and skill required for proper shoe care? Of course, you may plan to spend the coin to have someone do it for you each and every time your shoes need polishing/routine maintenance, but that seems more bother than it's worth. Once you've built up a few layers of polish, regular polishing to maintain the overall effect really isn't onerous or that time consuming, assuming you don't really ding up and scratch your shoes all the time.

7. ovlov

ovlov Senior Member

No these are a pair of Cleverlys i bought about 4 years ago. I havent had any trouble maintaining my other shoes. I think the problem here lay with my overuse of clear polish at a time i couldnt get the right colour for them. I've tried stripping them back and repolishing with something darker but they still look awful. I could try again but thought it might be better to leave them with an expert and hope i can maintain them properly once they have been brough back to original condition.

8. Epicure

Epicure Senior Member

OK, no worries then. I'm sure some of the Sydney members will be able to point you in the right direction.

9. sliq

sliq Distinguished Member

baxter and black at enmore/newtown?

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

@ovlov I had a pair of AE Macneil Oxblood which needed to be equalised in terms of their colouring. B&B Newton did a great job and reasonably priced.

Otherwise inquire at Double Monk?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 10:47 AM

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

Drakes winter sale selected items down 50%.

12. theowbert

theowbert Active Member

Baxter and Black is the go to in Sydney. He's not cheap but the work is pretty impressive and he seems to have a loyal following. I saw someones G&G shoes on his shelf when I was last there. The shelf also had some Edward Greens and other notable shoe brands.

13. BananaKing

BananaKing Well-Known Member

14. md2010

md2010 Distinguished Member

15. ovlov

ovlov Senior Member

Thanks for the recs everyone. I waw kind of hoping there would be somewhere good in the cbd/surry hills area. Ill see if i can make it out to Newton though .