• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve either got pointier than average elbows or sit strangely, which has lead to a number of early retirements for pieces of clothing. The latest victim is my favourite inis meain jumper. I’ve attached a picture of the damage.

Am I going to have any luck getting this repaired without patching or do I just have to suck up the patched look? If the former, any recommendations for someone to do the work in Melbourne?

View attachment 991153
Its a lot easier to patch a loose knit like a woollen jumper than it is to invisible patch a worsted structured garment say. And should be a lot cheaper to do. It looks like a quick simple job. In fact I'd say most competent knitters could fix that easily. You would have to find a few bits of wool at the neck, sleeves end or bottom to use. But if you are lucky there might not be much (any) wool actually missing. You could do it yourself with a bit of care. The easy option is to whack a bit of thin suede over it. If you do have pointy elbows or are resting them on the desk instead of working then you'd perhaps be wise to put a patch on each elbow.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What type of economic modeling did they use for this? Did the add the administration costs to this cluster **** at The Treasury? Or is this another thought bubble exercise like I witnessed with the FIRB changes back in 2009 in relation to the housing market? Mind you it took a couple of years to fix that up. So who knows.
Modelling?? this isn't a thought through policy change - after all every single Productivity Commission Report on this has said that less than $1,000 value - that costs exceed revenue.

This is an idealogical response to whingeing by the mercantilists and protectionists of ON and Buy Australian "patriots" like Gerry Harvey and Dick Smith

Nolvadex

Reaction score
Worst thing about new shoes. Breaking them in, especially during winter.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Advice sought for care of Japanes denim? Like how often to wash? Or is there a thread for this?

I started out quite evangelical about not washing too often but have ended up pretty laissez-faire. There’s a good product called Mr Black’s Denim Wash which Incu used to stock, or a Momotaro version at Corlection which costs a fortune but is apparently great.

I have done fine washing inside out using Mr Black on a ‘darks cycle’ on my washing machine. You could always use a bucket if you’re squeamish.

It also depends somewhat on the brand. My cheaper Japan Blues lose dye quicker than Momotaro or Pure Blue Japan. I would imagine that Uniqlo lose due quicker again.

It also depends on the effect that you want to achieve. A lot of the Japanese denim heads like to wear their 501 repros hard and wash them equally hard, to replicate the experience of a coal miner or something like that. Your tastes may vary...

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have done fine washing inside out using Mr Black on a ‘darks cycle’ on my washing machine. You could always use a bucket if you’re squeamish

Bugger. Glue has these on special for $5, but sold out. Might be worth keeping an eye on their site if people are keen.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting responses on demin thanks Gents.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only place I can find selling Mr Black now is Jeanswest (seriously) who have it as a house label product but made by Mr Black.

Otherwise, there’s a Scandinavian brand called Tangent GC that apparently makes one: I know that some Incu stores stock the brand which might explain why they’ve discontinued Mr Black.

Both run $20 a bottle but presumably last ages.

aussiejake

Reaction score
It's getting pretty chilly in Melbourne - what are our overcoat recommendations?

I can see MJ Bale have a few options running in the $600 range.

BananaKing

Reaction score

Further on the raw denim washing. In general more wear and time between washes, less vigorous washing methods and "gentler" cleaning products leads to higher contrast fades along the natural ridges/folds and areas of high wear (e.g. "whiskers" at the front thigh bend, "honeycombs" at the back of the knees, butt fades). High contrasts fades is more of a recent obsession with denim heads.

As FP mentions some Japanese that are into their repro niche really appreciate a low contrast gentle fade.

The frequency of wash, what product you use for washing and what washing method will be guided by what aesthetic is appealing to your preference (+hygiene consideration).

Be careful in the first few washes of having the jeans too scrunched and creased up if running a "standard" wash. Had a virgin pair of jeans sustain some ugly fades of random creases due to them being accidentally lumped in with the normal laundry. Fortunately they were just some Uniqlos.

hschrapel

Reaction score
Haven't been online for a while - interesting: https://www.afr.com/technology/inst...n-global-acquisition-strategy-20180618-h11i97

I haven't used either of these guys. I'm thinking of trying one out in the next couple of week though

Whilst Institchu has a bit of a negative reputation online, I can vouch for their fit of suit. Still fresh to the world of tailoring & men's wear, I started my first professional gig as an intern rocking Roger David suits. Then I moved to Peter Jackson and now at InStitchu. I ended up taking Peter Jackson to VCAT over some quality issues, so I have 3 MTM suits in the works at the moment coming from them, but currently have 3 InStitchu suits in the rotation.

The base line is fairly ****** fabric in my opinion, but they have continuously nailed the fit and 7 months in with all 3 suits, no complaints.

Come July I'll be headed to Sydney for a week where I look forward to trying out Suitsupply, but until then, I don't mind institchu.

What I don't like is the jump in price for a suit with VBC fabric. Often seen as an entry level fabric house, and considered a base fabric for companies like Oscar & Hunt, institchu prices start at around $1k for it...

So I reckon try institchu out.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. My view is a bit different. For many years I never wore jeans as an ineffectual protest at the "crappy jeans everywhere & all the time" mentality. But in the last few years I've got myself a few pairs partly in order to fly under the radar at times.

The bit I like about jeans is their toughness and the fact what when washed they improve and come out looking nice and clean. Every time.

So I throw mine in the wash every few times I wear them. My newest pair of raw heavy denim I washed 3 times before I wore them. In the late 60's when Levis first came to Oz it was common for the Jazzers (Victoria only iirc) to not wash jeans to keep that new look. It was dark blue jeans, black turtle neck tops (Skivvy) , Navy duffel coat and sand Desert Boots

Article 26

Reaction score
74B8E578-1F15-47F9-AB33-4EC4ECC6B673.jpeg

Today’s effort (after 3 pairs I needed a nap). Tomorrow, waxing the Barbour.
Exciting times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics