1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Petepan

Petepan Distinguished Member

The display shoes seen in photos are usually extravagant showcases, with patent leathers and exotic patinas exarcebated by direct spot lighting. I have been told that 90% of the shoes sold are in the usual black and browns. The RTW is only a very small portion of their sales. For the same price as RTW, customers can MTO and specify the lasts, leather, pipings, soles, patina etc. and current wait time is about 3 months. Corthay will also redo the patina at any time for free (at least for the Paris atelier) for the lifetime of the shoe.

I have come a full circle on Corthay. Used to think they are spiv shoes just judging by the showcase pieces. The reality is that the lasts, though pointy, are actually very well proportioned. The last narrowness is actually exaggerated by the design. The leather quality is very high for such a flimsy looking shoe. Construction is good, with leather stiffeners for both toes and heels. Finishing is not quite on par with say G & G, and you need to inspect the shoes carefully for misplaced stitchings, patina splotches, etc.

I cannot exactly say that the price is good value, because for another 15% more, you can get an Aurum handwelted by Meccariello, a shoe which will be better in nearly all aspects eg construction, leather quality, patina, finishing. What you pay for Corthay is the uniqueness of the last design, and that of course, is a subjective aesthetic preference. If you like the aesthetics of RMW or Buday or Aldens, then it is understandable that you will not find Corthay to be your cup of tea.

Lastly, contrary to some internet reports, I found the service at both the Paris shop and the HK Harbour City shop to be superlative. In actual fact, the service at the Paris atelier was primarily responsible for my recent purchase, which was both not contemplated and out of budget by a sector mile.

2. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Distinguished Member

Did I hear correctly that Double Monk is launching an online store soon?

3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Distinguished Member

This concept alarms me.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Distinguished Member

Used to be common practice when a few SF members got together.

A couple of photos from old WAYWT threads (not of me, I hasten to add):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Traditionally, in line with old private school tradition, the slowest shoeshiner then has to shine everyone's shoes. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016

5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Distinguished Member

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

Your in Canberra? Well Sydney is at most two and half hours away and you don't have to show your ID to get into the Strand.

PS its Friday its wet and wild outside so it must be the return of Pinot Pizza & Rugby tonight. :slayer:

7. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Distinguished Member

But I'm lazy and impulsive

And bring on the cooler weather!

8. Petepan

Petepan Distinguished Member

Never thought that Pinot will go well with pizza. Then I am always partial to Shiraz, and in the case of Pizzas, beers.

9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Distinguished Member

I'd hazard a guess and say GF's homemade pizzas are a bit more upmarket than Vominos. If there's anything wrong with his accompaniment it's the rugby union, not the wine!

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Distinguished Member

FTFY.

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Distinguished Member

I knew that we'd have at least one private school attendee here who would grasp my meaning.

12. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior Member

looks like something teenage Asian Girls do lol

13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

Philistine! Idolator! Worshiper of false idols. Ruby is the game they play in Heaven.

Petepan

Pinot is exceptionally good with pizza in particular the Tasmanian variety. The SA Shiraz will get an airing in the coming cooler months with Mary's Little Lamb and maybe a Duck Ragu with home made Pappardelle.

14. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior Member

Beat me to it. I was thinking more along likes of circles and jerks..

15. fxh

fxh Distinguished Member