1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Distinguished Member

Hard to critique fit in those stances but looks pretty good in those pics. More importantly though you happy with it?

I like your enthusiasm but I wouldn't necessarily have dived in and purchased a bottle without sampling. LDDM is good, I like it particularly in cooler weather but its not an easy or universally loved scent. Same for all of them. LDDM will definitely solve the longevity issue though :p

There's a whole universe of niche fragrances out there. By niche I mean anything you don't find in Myers and Chemist warehouse and even in Australia for a lot of them. Finding a scent that you like and that suits you and compliments you just like a good accessory, can take time. Just got to get out there sampling everything you can. Once you've got a bit of breadth under your belt and know the sort of scents and notes you like then you can blind buy bottles (although even then still not really recommended) either way drop into places like Mens Biz, Peony, even DJ's in most CBD's have some "niche" houses.

You don't seem to be bothered by order online theres plenty of sample websites out there and there. Or maybe you'll get lucky and those tauers will be your perfect match.

2. Ransyn

Ransyn Active Member

yep, putting blind faith in the guys here and the reviews, had a spare couple hundred to splurge at the end of last month

3. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Distinguished Member

I would also recommend sites like www.kafkaesqueblog.com if you want to get a sense of what's available outside of Myer/DJs/Australia

4. Ransyn

Ransyn Active Member

Thanks for the info guys. In regards to the suit yeah i love it, a few minor tweaks i would make for next time like bringing the gorge up just a tiny bit higher and maybe a tiny bit more waist suppression but as this was my first time i didnt want to go overboard and have it start wrinkling at the button from too much pull. Was deffinately an attention grabber at work though.

In regards to cologne, ive really just started to branch out from the usual retail brands, so exploring different scents in the future is deffinately up there in the to do list. Written down the suggestions so far to try if i dont end up liking LDDM. Honestly i just did an on the spot purchase cause i could afford to do it and was hoping to try the scent with my new suit. But it didnt make it in time anyway.

Ill take all your advice on board and order a few samples till i find one i like, but heres hoping like osiris said that i just get lucky and andy tauer happens to be the scent for me.

Ill be sure to check in again when i get a whiff later (assuming someone accepted the package at home)

5. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Distinguished Member

Agree, good link and site.

For research and for news would throw fragrantica.com and basenotes.net

6. fxh

fxh Distinguished Member

Watch out PoP will be all over this - he'll want a bulk discount. He'll probably want to PM you about your My Little Pony collection too.

7. fxh

fxh Distinguished Member

Chance find at Opshops. I can't remember when I last (small shoe pun) paid more than $5 for shoe trees.
    I've got weird vintage ones, aluminium ones, tin ones, plastic ones and wooden ones - some varnished - some with weird screw and spring arrangements like steam punk - All good.
    I should pull them all out one day and take a pic

8. fxh

fxh Distinguished Member

I don't own any - I'm probably not the target demographic. But I've inspected them closely and know others who have them. Quality is as good as you'll get anywhere at around +/- the price point.

9. fxh

fxh Distinguished Member

My nose is not much use on perfumes.
    I can't get sillage, dry down, longevity smells on myself. So I rely on others, like CD, who seem to understand. And Luca's ratings.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016

10. sebastian mcfox

Scrap my comments above re Lonesome Rider, had it mixed up with Lonestar Memories. I'm enjoying the former (latter still smells like plastic ponies)

11. sebastian mcfox

12. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior Member

Too shiny, basically

13. Foxhound

Foxhound Distinguished Member

Damn, no black captoes @ HB online.

14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Distinguished Member

I believe GF has already bought it, so I took this just to be an inquiry as to what I think of it, same as you might ask somebody what they think of some shoes.

I've worn Lonesome Rider twice now and am still ambivalent. I don't like it as much as Lonestar Memories, but it's much better than the latter for office purposes. I've been holding off until cooler weather so I can give a few leather fragrances a run to compare. I doubt it will supplant Tom of Finland as my favourite day-to-day leather scent.

15. fxh

fxh Distinguished Member

Melbourne Streetwear.
    Last night. Out w. Ms.fxh for drinks, meal, cabaret - Butterfly Club. Day 31C + warm night.
    Brown linen jacket slung on shoulders, not arms, a la Pitti, (Just for pic, too hot to actually wear) pink stripes linen shirt, silk/linen beige/off white trousers, brown socks, brown suede shoes.
    Apologies for no public toilet shot. Bonus Lino-ish thumb included as compensation.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016