Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

I've been using Berensen for 10 years long before Katrina's arrived and I've found their work excellent. Any time something didn't quite come out to my expectation they fixed it quickly at no extra cost. They've shortened the sleeve from the shoulder just as well as simple hemming.

I've also used Sam and found his work perfectly fine although I send more complicated stuff to Berensen.

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

5. nimbus6

nimbus6 Active Member

Any suggestions for where to find a navy cotton jacket in Melbourne? I had a Ralph Lauren one but they don't seem to carry them any more.

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

MJ Bale have a few different blue cotton jackets in stock at the moment, ranging from mid-blue to a darker, navy blue, so it could be worth having a look in one of their stores.

I think that they've even got a DB cotton jacket, if you want to look as though you own a yacht!

7. ElliotSmith

ElliotSmith Member

I've purchased 4 pairs from Kaz and am very happy. The fit is great and I think the value is unbeatable in this price range, particularly with the Aussie $ in the dumps.

8. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Jason - sorry to hear about HC but understand. You have done great work and my HC ties are among my favourites.

9. conqueror

conqueror Senior member

i feel like i'm always just 'taking' from this thread as opposed to 'giving', but i'm very new to the smarter side of menswear. however, if anyone needs advice on wtaps sizing or different models of common projects - hit me up (+ i have a buzz rickson sweat in M for sale)!

what are people thoughts on mj bale's tie, are they actually 'made in italy' as they claim? there are two i like at $170 shipped (canberra store doesn't have either one in stock), but i've only owned a pair of chinos by them in the past. the majority of my current ones are tm lewin/charles tywhitt which are all pretty average, but i also have two brooks bros and one drake. i'm hoping they'd be in-between tm lewin and brooks bros?

also, i'll obviously ask in the HK thread, but i'm guessing 5 days is too short a time to get a suit made up if i want to also enjoy my holiday as well?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I quite like some of the printed silk patterns used by MJ Bale, but unfortunately their ties are waaay too skinny for my liking. I can't help but feel that they'd probably tie pretty skinny knots, too.

No direct experience, but a friend of mine has bought a few suits, jackets and odd trousers from Peter Lee, of Lee Baron.

On his first trip, he went there on his first day to be measured up and choose fabrics and he specified that he was leaving in a week or so. Lee Baron had a basted fitting ready for him before he left so that he could try it on and have any alterations pinned or marked. They finished the clothes and mailed them to him a few days later, and he was very happy with them.

I think that a number of people on SF have done something similar - have a look in the HK tailors thread for further details.

11. conqueror

conqueror Senior member

thanks journeyman. i have ties ranging from 7cm - 9cm (8.5 is my preferred) and these MJ ones are 8cm according to the website. you're right though as most seem to be listed as 7 or 7.5.

12. sliq

sliq Senior member

optimum for me is 8.5-9cm. otherwise skinnier ties are for my 'casual' days where it's still office attire but with odd trousers without a coat on

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Now that HC is gone I'm just buying from TM Lewin.

I'd go Kent Wang but our dollar blows.

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Henry Bucks DJ's and others at sales time. And there is always Sam Hober http://www.samhober.com

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

As others said I noticed MJ BALE had a few cotton jackets to choose from. No idea how they fit.
    I have known people like JM says, who have arranged with Lee Baron to hop straight off plane and go to measure appt. then basting a few days later within a week and either pick up suit or ship suit soon after.