• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
Any suggestions for coat hangers? Need a combination for shirts, trousers and Mrs GF skirts.
Hey GF, aside from Woodlore, I would also check in with Steve Calder in Melbourne to see where he sources his from. I'll take a photo of the one I have which came with my MTM and PM you. Very handy as it has a rubberised arm that slides down over another horizontal arm to hold your pants in place.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey GF, aside from Woodlore, I would also check in with Steve Calder in Melbourne to see where he sources his from. I'll take a photo of the one I have which came with my MTM and PM you. Very handy as it has a rubberised arm that slides down over another horizontal arm to hold your pants in place.
I have a couple of trouser hangers from Brooks Brothers like that.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely agreed with his point about clothes needing to be comfortable. Personally, and I'm sure I'm not alone here, I can't stand uncomfortable clothes: shirts that might pull a bit too tight, or that I can't scratch my back while wearing, pants that the thighs are just a touch too tight, or the waistband a touch too tight, collars that chafe, etc. It's just all so ******* annoying but because the cloth is on you the whole day it really adds up.

I've sort of become much less adventurous and much more simple: trousers and shirts at work - nothing flash - MJ Bale on sale is fine, so is TM Lewin. A sweater when it's cold. Outside of work dark jeans, sneakers and t shirts. Old Pendelton in winter and a few cozy items. It gets so arbitrary. It's fun having flash garments and looking like a boss/whatever other character you want to play, it really is. But it's increasingly expensive and, for me, I'd rather just be comfortable, somewhat functional, low maintenance and live life.
Comfortable has a different meaning for different people. I'm sure you don't mean you slop around like an Australian Žižek in ill-fitting trackie dacks with broken crocs on your feet and a torn Black Sabbath T shirt with a pilling grubby KMart fleece if it gets cold.

I like to be comfortable too - sometimes that means a well fitted worsted suit and tie and polished well-fitting good looking shoes. Sometime sit means a linen suit or linen trousers with an untucked Hawaiian shirt - mostly it means chinos clean and tailored and desert boots and OCBD and some casual jacket others its a Navy blazer, grey flannel trousers, chukkas and a knit tie. Others its jeans and boots.

I would say I just grab stuff and throw it on – and I do- but the reality is that over the years I only have stuff that (I think) suits me and fits or I like. I like to not stand out and I like to fly under the radar often - others times not so much - but the reality is that to use a word I tend to avoid - my clothes have been "curated" over the years.

I know how high I like my rise and now don’t have anything - jeans included that’s not high rise. I know how I like my trousers to fall on my shoes - so my inseams are fairly precise, I also know what I like in narrowness and taper of trousers and they vary around a mean with a tiny bit narrower and a bit wider on some. I know at what width my trousers knee starts to bind, I don’t have shirts in colours I don’t like, I have 30+ pairs of shoes and boots for all occasions.

The reality is over the years I worked to get it that way - it demands a bit of self knowledge, criticism and self-criticism [ kritika i samokritika, ziwo pipan (自我批判) or jiǎntǎo (检讨) ] - and a bit of an idea what I'm trying to do. Although I'd claim I dress to please no one - I often dress for my audience - to achieve something - at least to not make people uncomfortable for no reason. Yet – you’ll still have people say “You must be uncomfortable in that tie and suit” - mostly middle aged boymen in tight jeans slipping off their arse.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dressing is an entirely personal thing its a statement through the extension of one’s wardrobe and it enables one to send a message about who and what you are long with intent and actions.

Clothing aside from being a system of commodification is also sign system and people respond accordingly to what they perceive in the other from the signs they are projecting.

While I reject the notion of Freud's human being as simple desiring machines there is much to said for having a wardrobe as described by fxh. It allows one to express not only who and what your are and how your perceived by others but it animates a sense of (socially-culturally) self to navigate the milieu your moving in be it social work or cultural situations. By cultural I mean from the footy oval to the Opera House.

Its just the position taken by some in the ostentatious I’m too cool to be real menswear universe which I’m rejecting.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cant recall where I read it - but there was a good article on Shannon somewhere in the last week - maybe its his anniversary or something - and I was thinking about communication - at its basic - sender - signal - noise- signal receiver - (IIRC) and how the decoding of the signal through noise depends to a certain extent on a shared understanding of signals/signifiers etc. And the difficulties of shared anything in these fragmented/segmented/niche times.

Say I walk into a room of people in a suit and tie, all clean, collar on shirt sits nicely and isn't too small or too large for my neck, tie is a solid no nonsense tie well tied with a 4 in hand and sitting at the collar not with a gap and skewed sideways, trousers well fitted not pooling or not floating above my ankles, shoes fitted clean and polished traditional, jacket not too tight, sleeves not too long, material neither nondescript or glaringly "fun" - say I think the signal i'm sending is thoughtful well dressed man, sober, tasteful, responsible, caring about presentation but not overly fussy - but the receiver(s) doesn't have the understanding - even at an unconscious level of the signifiers/objects.

Theres no shared sense of the codes to enable a decoding. Possibly most of the people in the room wont share my understanding of signs and signifiers and the codes - they wont even share those codes with each other.

Therefore even without the noise in the room (channel) confusing things the intended receiver cant decode my message and doesn't know they cant decode it. So unless there is some shared sense of what the whole of "dressing like this/that" means (and there maybe some shared understanding- even if its on the level of "he/it seems well dressed") - the end result is that the receiver simply thinks "That bloke is rich" or " Hes a dick who cares too much about clothes" or " Why is he dressed so uncomfortably" or "I don't know what he's on about but hes not one of us/me". Perhaps my/the message is not only lost in the noise but never left the sender properly at all. Theres no Google translate for these two languages.

Last edited:

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, we look more stylish than I thought.

SF.JPG

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cant recall where I read it - but there was a good article on Shannon somewhere in the last week - maybe its his anniversary or something - and I was thinking about communication - at its basic - sender - signal - noise- signal receiver - (IIRC) and how the decoding of the signal through noise depends to a certain extent on a shared understanding of signals/signifiers etc. And the difficulties of shred anything in these fragmented/segmented/niche times.

Say I walk into a room of people in a suit and tie, all clean, collar on shirt sits nicely and isn't too small or too large for my neck, tie is a solid no nonsense tie well tied with a 4 in hand and sitting at the collar not with a gap and skewed sideways, trousers well fitted not pooling or not floating above my ankles, shoes fitted clean and polished traditional, jacket not too tight, sleeves not too long, material neither nondescript or glaringly "fun" - say I think the signal i'm sending is thoughtful well dressed man, sober, tasteful, responsible, caring about presentation but not overly fussy - but the receiver(s) doesn't have the understanding - even at an unconscious level of the signifiers/objects.

Theres no shared sense of the codes to enable a decoding. Possibly most of the people in the room wont share my understanding of signs and signifiers and the codes - they wont even share those codes with each other.

Therefore even without the noise in the room (channel) confusing things the intended receiver cant decode my message and doesn't know they cant decode it. So unless there is some shared sense of what the whole of "dressing like this/that" means (and there maybe some shared understanding- even if its on the level of "he/it seems well dressed") - the end result is that the receiver simply thinks "That bloke is rich" or " Hes a dick who cares too much about clothes" or " Why is he dressed so uncomfortably" or "I don't know what he's on about but hes not one of us/me". Perhaps my/the message is not only lost in the noise but never left the sender properly at all. Theres no Google translate for these two languages.

Yes Watson but you know the codes/message/signals/sign amidst the noise and are able to translate it into something you can comprehend beyond the "why is that old fart dressing like that?"

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads