• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought a lot of Canali stuff over the years, but rarely (if ever) their ties, which tend to be hideous.

Same goes for Ferragamo, Hermes, Ricci and Brioni. Shiny silk with old-man patterns, designed to be knotted without a dimple. Good for fat-cat CEOs and corporate solicitors; to be avoided otherwise.

Yes, well that is a pretty doctrinaire and clearly incorrect rant. Given the huge number and variety of patterns and silks put out by all of these makers, it's just utterly ridiculous to claim that ALL Canali, Brioni, Ricci, Hermes AND Ferragamo ties are awful and to be avoided. I've never had an issue getting a Canali, Ricci or Brioni tie to dimple, although I agree about Hermes there.

Whichever tie maker you care to name, I guarantee that ugly examples can be found with their label on it. It's the nature of the business; they all produce a huge number of designs and there will always be misses.

Terminator

Reaction score
Very generous! Please let me know if they don’t work for you @Gerry Nelson , although this ain’t your first rodeo so I’m sure you know your EG size in each last.

Update on the B&Tailor safari, @sebastian mcfox was correct and Steve Calder tried to steer me towards Craftsman. They look great but I won’t have time to have one made up whilst in Oz and want to avoid having to get it shipped here in Switzerland afterwards. Waiting on sizing advice from Chad now.

Can definitely see me using Steve if I move back home.

Nolvadex

Reaction score
Where have you been shopping?

And, what kind of linen jacket are you after?

Walked around to the usual brick and mortar stores, not there's many here in Brissy. Trenery had some this season, MJ Bale, Xile, DJs.

Jacket wise, light weight, navy (anything dark really), no canvas and minimal lining.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walked around to the usual brick and mortar stores, not there's many here in Brissy. Trenery had some this season, MJ Bale, Xile, DJs.

Jacket wise, light weight, navy (anything dark really), no canvas and minimal lining.

I have an old Uniqlo navy linen/cotton jacket that goes close to that. Maybe they still carry something like it. My caution would be that they tend to make their jackets too short for me, although some can carry that off.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Liber , I'm curious as to the range of sizes in those shoes you're eBaying. They go from a UK8 (the Loakes) up to UK10 (EG).

I guess the Loakes are an outlier, but assuming the rest were worn by you, there's still some inconsistency. You appear to take the same size as me in Carmina (UK9.5), but a half size bigger in C&J (UK10).

In fact I find my Carmina 9.5's to be rather snug whereas my C&Js in 9.5 are a relaxed fit.

It just doesn't add up!

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loake tends to have wide lasts - maybe that explains it?

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What CD says about ties is true. I’ve a number of Hermes ties that all actually dimple beautifully. They’re among my prized ties. Brooks brother makers also dimple wonderfully... to the point I get double dimples.

Ralph Lauren ties are also great. He did start off making and selling ties after all......

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in on the ties as well. I've got a Ferragamo tie that is at least 15 years old and still going strong, great quality. Maybe these days they don't make them to the same standard, I don't know.

I also have some decent Canali ties, though I agree that a good one of theirs is harder to find these days style wise, plus they all seem to be too narrow now.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah. You're all wrong, and I'm right. Like always.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads