1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Distinguished Member

Random thoughts:
    • Uniqlo turns a profit four years into its Aussie adventure. Not a bad effort I would have thought.
    • Would never have picked Berluti for Collins Street, and the store is pretty big.
    • What does Will Vicars see in Oroton? He keeps saving its bacon.

2. The J

The J Senior Member

Cheers! Will try Manfred's out. Thanks for the recommendations.

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

Tupical DJ’s Canberra had no RPL polos and of course the cobalt blue polo is available in S M XL but no L at DJ in Sydney. And no cargo shorts Merde!

Can recommend the expresso martini’s at Gowings QT.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Distinguished Member

Just back from three weeks in Japan visiting the parents-in-law.

We also spent a week travelling around the centre of the main island of Honshu - Nagano, Matsumoto, Toyama, Takayama, Inuyama, Nagoya and back to Tokyo. Plenty of snow in the mountains and the kids built a snowman and had a snowball fight for the first time. As usual, ate far too much and put on at least a couple of kilograms.

No clothing info, as the only clothes we bought were from Uniqlo, including a lot of heat-tech underwear!

Sadly, now back to reality - cooking for ourselves and much less indulgent food.

5. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

80E582B8-0FEE-42D0-A4A1-8268941318A2.jpeg
    My travel bag had a cocktail... but everything smells amazing!

6. Bravo Sierra

Bravo Sierra Senior Member

Hey there. A good source is this saved search on the US ebay site which seems to get more variety. Just keep an eye on the shipping charges. The search is courtesy of Put This On dot com.

7. The J

The J Senior Member

Has anyone done a MTO for St.C through DM (out of the trunkshows)? What's the process like, any surcharge, do they have swatches and trial shoes etc for sizing, lasts and width? TIA.

8. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

I haven’t (& they don’t offer StC trunkshows), not a StC fan, however having had many a conversation with the boys there, only pursue StC if you opt for suede of partisan calf (or exotics). They are usually crust and look dreadful after a wear or two. Also, a terribly stiff shoe.
    You can have a personalised last configured with a trial shoe for 995.
    I am a regular, they actively dissuade StC for the more discerning customer. However, if StC are for you, brilliant.

9. The J

The J Senior Member

That's very interesting to hear, I actually had the dark brown crust for a pair of oxfords in mind. Have heard many stories and scrolled through the StC thread, and can only see mixed comments. Is the crust leather really that horrible after a couple of wears? I really like the colour of them, fresh out of the box that is as I'm unsure how it'll look after a couple of wears..

P.S. I remember Phillip visited about a year or two ago, they might've stopped doing it.

10. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

Afraid it is. If you visit the Melbourne shop, you will see the store fitting shoes - not encouraging.

Indeed they did, also offered Cleverly bespoke trunk shows, too. (Which they stopped as the results were farcical.)

11. The J

The J Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up mate. Might just go for Vass instead then.. was initially inclined to StC as I had some credit note left with DM and EG's dark oak is slightly too light of a shade of brown for me.... might have to spend it on some other things!

12. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

0A3F8311-681E-46D1-8EBA-AD8C89B7E613.jpeg
    Vass MTO I received a month ago??? Worn for two hours - also, quality control is rubbish as are the materials ; leather nicked in two places (one was solvable); soles are of the cheapest grade etc.
    I would go JL in museum brown.

13. The J

The J Senior Member

Everything is going horribly wrong :( I've also considered the Phillip, but its just a tad too bright as well. Can't find the dark brown StC and Vass offer.

14. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

If in Melbourne, visit DM when you have time. Charles is (well all are) amazingly helpful and informed - don’t deal with Sydney often enough to know, but i’m sure you’ll be greeted with similar expertise.

Goodnight and good luck.

15. Epicure

Epicure Senior Member

Wouldn't the best dissuasion be to not deal in StC at all? Curious as to why DM sell from this maker if they do indeed have such little love for the shoes.