• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestions for Aussie spirits, whisky, rhum, etc.? I'm popping home for a few days and wouldn't mind taking back something for my booze cupboard. I have Husk rum and Belgrove rye in mind already (although the latter is quite pricy for something that young).

I hear that Nant whisky is now quite collectible - they're not going to be making any more! ;-)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-...aff-matthew-hayden-dudded-in-collapse/8882420

Seriously, though, there are a few good Tasmanian whisky distilleries. I haven't tried it yet, but a friend has a bottle of Sullivan's Cove Single Cask and he says that it's very good.

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
I hear that Nant whisky is now quite collectible - they're not going to be making any more! ;-)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-...aff-matthew-hayden-dudded-in-collapse/8882420

Seriously, though, there are a few good Tasmanian whisky distilleries. I haven't tried it yet, but a friend has a bottle of Sullivan's Cove Single Cask and he says that it's very good.

I can vouch for the Nant Sherry cask finish. Not a cheap drop but damn it is good. Sad to see this happening to the brand...

Also, if you like your whisky with a bit of oomph, try the Hellyers Road Pinot Noir finish. Very different to anything else on the market.

Marbles

Reaction score
Also, if you like your whisky with a bit of oomph, try the Hellyers Road Pinot Noir finish. Very different to anything else on the market.

Second this, I've enjoyed everything I've tried from Hellyer's Road. Beenleigh distillery Rum is good as well.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can vouch for the Nant Sherry cask finish. Not a cheap drop but damn it is good. Sad to see this happening to the brand...

Yep, both Hellyers (sample pack including PN) and Limeburners (sherry and port finish NAS) are at Heinemann SYD and will be my "oh crap I still haven't made a choice" choice if it comes to that.

I just looked at the Limeburners website and the prices are completely insane for the awarded stuff - on par with cheaper Karuisawas! What's the story there?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestions for Aussie spirits, whisky, rhum, etc.? I'm popping home for a few days and wouldn't mind taking back something for my booze cupboard. I have Husk rum and Belgrove rye in mind already (although the latter is quite pricy for something that young).

Mothers Ruin is your best bet you could try The Melbourne Gin Company dry gin serve with a slice of ruby grapefruit and Capi blood orange soad.

Poltergiest Gin something diffrent and a standout Tasmanian gin works well with a sprig of Rosemary in a good tonic.

Four Pillars Rare Dry Gin excellent with a slice of orange and tonic.

Of course one only imbibes after the sun goes over the yard arm and the quinine is esential in the summer heat.

deadbilly

Reaction score
Sam’s, rings a bell. Where is he?

Having just gone through this with a new RingJacket suit there are two Sams basically around the corner from each other - one at Sams Alterations and one at Master Alterations - I think the one at Master Alterations was across from the ANZ building in Docklands previously?

Sams Alterations isn't cheap - I didn't realise where 2nd Sam had gone though and took my suit to first Sam. Apparently Sam number 2 (Docklands) is still quite affordable? Happy with work and Service from Sam number 1 though, but will go and see Sam 2 next time as he did a good job previously in Docklands.

Sam is still in operation. He has moved to 10 Guest Lane. His phone number is (03) 9642-7442.

In summary: Sam formerly of Docklands is now at Master Alterations & Drycleaning 10 Guests Lane (03) 9642 7442

Thanks to Foxy for the update (Feb, 2017), and alanm for his knowledge of Sam's Alterations. I'd always try Sam Master Alterations first as I've been happy with his work and charges (no work that complicated though, he did quote a unstructured blazer fix at around half the cost of Sam's Alterations, and he was proposing to do a lot more work, in the end I sold the jacket instead).

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bring back a couple of Moree handbags, good value and should stack neatly in the overhead.

Article 26

Reaction score
In summary: Sam formerly of Docklands is now at Master Alterations & Drycleaning 10 Guests Lane (03) 9642 7442

Thanks to Foxy for the update (Feb, 2017), and alanm for his knowledge of Sam's Alterations. I'd always try Sam Master Alterations first as I've been happy with his work and charges (no work that complicated though, he did quote a unstructured blazer fix at around half the cost of Sam's Alterations, and he was proposing to do a lot more work, in the end I sold the jacket instead).
Thanks.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Styleternity

Reaction score

Other forumites have mentioned Limeburners in a positive light. While I can't speak to the distillery's premium prices, I will say that the sherry cask aged stuff is very very tasty. For a slightly more reasonably priced drop - specially if you're looking for a do-all whisky - I highly recommend Star Ward too (from Victoria).

If you can find any more of the Gruetzner-Aspley blends by Tom Riley (of PJT fame) I'd haul a couple of those off with you too. Tom's varietals are a classic Barossa 1-2 of shiraz and cab sauv (in 40 to 60 ratio methinks) and among the first truly delicious wines I tried. The 2012 vintage is particularly memorable. I'm sure a decent retailer could easily source it - his website disappeared a while back.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other forumites have mentioned Limeburners in a positive light. While I can't speak to the distillery's premium prices, I will say that the sherry cask aged stuff is very very tasty. For a slightly more reasonably priced drop - specially if you're looking for a do-all whisky - I highly recommend Star Ward too (from Victoria).

If you can find any more of the Gruetzner-Aspley blends by Tom Riley (of PJT fame) I'd haul a couple of those off with you too. Tom's varietals are a classic Barossa 1-2 of shiraz and cab sauv (in 40 to 60 ratio methinks) and among the first truly delicious wines I tried. The 2012 vintage is particularly memorable. I'm sure a decent retailer could easily source it - his website disappeared a while back.
Thanks! My beer/wine allowance is unfortunately spoken for already, but I'll take a look at Limeburners. Was that a numbered cask, or the one without mention of blend that is the only Limeburners available at duty free? Price is mostly no object, although I'm not paying $700 for a cask strength NAS that is probably only a few years old... maybe that was what you were referring to? That's Port Ellen territory!

It's amazing that they can go out of stock with such prices and yet these whiskies are barely reviewed, whilst Yamazaki continues to ratchet up their prices (and lower the quality, IMHO) on their standard offering to the continuing adulation of the global press. My research brought up a ton of distilleries in Australia and many look very interesting; the problem seems to be that the distilling hobby only reached the country a few years ago and consequently everything is 5 year old or NAS. I look forward to seeing what happens as the industry matures. Gotta find a bar somewhere in Sydney that has most of these and do some comparing.

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score

sensuki

Reaction score

Unfortunately Sam of Master Alterations & Drycleaning mucked up two of my pairs of pants, including the German chino I posted about earlier in the thread. He did a re-shape of my German chinos with two fittings for $75, and after the first fitting, he said he wanted to take in the back of the thigh only, but not the front and in between the first and second fitting he took in the crotch seam without me asking for it. He just said he was going to take in some of the fabric at the inner thigh and I said okay, sounds good, thinking he would just cut from the inseam. Both alterations together make the trousers pull like crazy when sitting down (he has no seat for customers to sit on), which is ultimately uncomfortable. They are unfixable, as the fabric was cut, and that was essentially a waste of $450 overall (cost of pants + $75 alteration cost).

I also gave him a pair of fatigue pants to take in at the waist, he took them in from the seat seam which were flat felled, and replaced it with an overlock and top stitch. He didn't sew the seam very straight from the crotch, and took in some of the seat seam, making them not sit straight in the seat, and also too tight. I did notify him that I was unhappy with them and he said he would re-do them, but I never went back.

Article 26

Reaction score
Unfortunately Sam of Master Alterations & Drycleaning mucked up two of my pairs of pants, including the German chino I posted about earlier in the thread. He did a re-shape of my German chinos with two fittings for $75, and after the first fitting, he said he wanted to take in the back of the thigh only, but not the front and in between the first and second fitting he took in the crotch seam without me asking for it. He just said he was going to take in some of the fabric at the inner thigh and I said okay, sounds good, thinking he would just cut from the inseam. Both alterations together make the trousers pull like crazy when sitting down (he has no seat for customers to sit on), which is ultimately uncomfortable. They are unfixable, as the fabric was cut, and that was essentially a waste of $450 overall (cost of pants + $75 alteration cost).

I also gave him a pair of fatigue pants to take in at the waist, he took them in from the seat seam which were flat felled, and replaced it with an overlock and top stitch. He didn't sew the seam very straight from the crotch, and took in some of the seat seam, making them not sit straight in the seat, and also too tight. I did notify him that I was unhappy with them and he said he would re-do them, but I never went back.
That is not encouraging.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bootsbybay