• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonder how many of the people recommending linen here actually have stuff made in linen.

I have actually drunk the linen kool aid - both light- and heavyweight Irish linen, and have come to the conclusion that linen is not a practical fabric for modern suiting. It's the fabric equivalent of a fixie bike (single speed) - charming, but completely impractical.

If you want to stay cool in summer while wearing a suit get a mohair/wool fabric in a lightweight + open weave. Wear a linen shirt by all means.

I tend to agree - I've had both cotton and linen suits and neither are particularly cool. As apropos mentions, a good mohair-wool blend in a more open weave is really good in summer, especially if the jacket has a buggy lining. Fresco or a similar fabric is also good.

On an entirely unrelated note,I went to see Midnight Oil last night with some old school friends. They performed outdoors and it was a bit wet and muddy, but it didn't dampen our spirits.

Midnight Oil was the first band I saw in concert, with the same school friends back when we were actually at high school together. I've seen them play live five times now, but the last time was almost twenty years ago.

Peter Garrett still has amazing energy, particularly as he is now 64 years old. The band played for just over two hours. Brilliant.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On an entirely unrelated note,I went to see Midnight Oil last night with some old school friends. They performed outdoors and it was a bit wet and muddy, but it didn't dampen our spirits.

Midnight Oil was the first band I saw in concert, with the same school friends back when we were actually at high school together. I've seen them play live five times now, but the last time was almost twenty years ago.

Peter Garrett still has amazing energy, particularly as he is now 64 years old. The band played for just over two hours. Brilliant.

First live rock and roll I saw while still at high school was at the Horden Pavilion with Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs, the La De Das, Lobby Lloyde and the Coloured Balls and Chain.

The Oils were such a manic band live saw them a live a lot around Sydney. Garrett was like a caged panther on amphetamines on stage. One of the most memorable gigs I saw was at the Crystal Ballroom back in 81. Haven’t seen details of a Canberra show advertised.

And speaking of gigs anyone score any Robert Plant tickets at the SOH? By the time I got on it was so far up the back I would have required oxygen and sherpa guides to get to the seats.

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonder how many of the people recommending linen here actually have stuff made in linen.

I have actually drunk the linen kool aid - both light- and heavyweight Irish linen, and have come to the conclusion that linen is not a practical fabric for modern suiting. It's the fabric equivalent of a fixie bike (single speed) - charming, but completely impractical.

No one except iGents and people who haven't actually purchased any suits in (heavy) linen recommend (heavy) linen.

Linen is only cool wearing when it is lightweight and loosely woven. Lightweight and loosely woven linen bags - the elbows, knees, and crotch will will slowly stretch out. Lightweight linen creases - and does so very noticeably and unattractively.

Heavy linen "rumples" - like cordovan does vs regular leather - as opposed to creasing. You could even say this rumpling is charming. But in the heat it will cook you alive - it does not breath, all it does is wick moisture from you. In other words, it absorbs your sweat. Which is not a great thing for a suit to do - especially one in medium-heavy rotation. I am not aware of a loosely woven "fresco" type linen weave in a heavier weight.

Cotton will wear out (quick) and is not worth the premium unless you have cash to spare, or a huge suit rotation.

If you want to stay cool in summer while wearing a suit get a mohair/wool fabric in a lightweight + open weave. Wear a linen shirt by all means.

My 0.02

I disagree. I have a tan linen suit in 12/13oz Carnet linen and I can wear it in 30+ degree heat without breaking a sweat. It's half-lined. I don't find it absorbs sweat, either.

In fact I find it wears about the same as my 9oz wool/mohair blend suit. Perhaps a touch warmer.

Styleternity

Reaction score
As apropos mentions, a good mohair-wool blend in a more open weave is really good in summer, especially if the jacket has a buggy lining. Fresco or a similar fabric is also good.

I have English wool/mohair - it's a pretty "wilful" fabric (if you catch my drift). Certainly not as wrinkle-resistant as fresco but whenever I wear it it tends to wear quite hardy whilst allowing for decent ventilation.

I must emphasise that my interest in linen is more aesthetic than functional - if that makes me an "iGent" then so be it. Style is nothing if not the temperance of romance. I suppose as someone who has plenty of tropical wools & blended fabrics, there's an insatiable curiosity around the whole linen suit she-bang, no matter how impractical. That said I've had trou made in linen and while they DO absorb moisture they also wear extremely cool. I've certainly never sweated buckets in them (despite usage in the midst of typhoon season here in HK).

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote for solaro. Once the managing directors and partners see it, they will understand you do not shy away from investing in your wardrobe and are serious about your career.

conqueror

Reaction score
just returned to aus after from an 8 day HK holiday. unfortunately we lost one entire day and night due to a T8 typhoon warning (entire city basically shut down), although we left the hotel to basically walk a lap and it didn't seem that bad. cannot fathom how MALLS close down in that, but regardless, we had an amazing trip and i couldn't help but automatically contrast it to singapore which i visited in may. ate at everywhere from local dim sum to michelin starred italian. i realised that i am melancholic leaving destinations these days, as i realise that realistically i am probably never going to visit them again due to time/money/wanting to travel to so many other locations. accomodation (hotel icon) was fantastic and sufu guide was pretty good too. have lots of coffee and food recommendations if needed.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just returned to aus after from an 8 day HK holiday. unfortunately we lost one entire day and night due to a T8 typhoon warning (entire city basically shut down), although we left the hotel to basically walk a lap and it didn't seem that bad. cannot fathom how MALLS close down in that, but regardless, we had an amazing trip and i couldn't help but automatically contrast it to singapore which i visited in may. ate at everywhere from local dim sum to michelin starred italian. i realised that i am melancholic leaving destinations these days, as i realise that realistically i am probably never going to visit them again due to time/money/wanting to travel to so many other locations. accomodation (hotel icon) was fantastic and sufu guide was pretty good too. have lots of coffee and food recommendations if needed.

Did you get a wicked curry rice at Chung King mansion?

Styleternity

Reaction score
we went in there because i'm a huge wong kar-wai nerd

When I moved to HK last year in April I had originally intended to take umpteenth schlock-y photos at Goldfinch Restaurant; the venue achieved international prominence after featuring in "In The Mood for Love". Sadly closed now: something about various shareholder disputes and unsustainable commercial rents.

couldn't help but automatically contrast it to singapore which i visited in may

Did you outright prefer one to the other? I've always liked HK for its more interesting blend of polish, grime and occasional surrealism. SG's cooked food centres have the upper hand IMO.

Last edited:

conqueror

Reaction score
When I moved to HK last year in April I had originally intended to take umpteenth schlock-y photos at Goldfinch Restaurant; the venue achieved international prominence after featuring in "In The Mood for Love". Sadly closed now: something about various shareholders disputes and unsustainable commercial rents.

Did you outright prefer one to the other? I've always preferred HK for its more interesting blend of polish, grime and occasional surrealism. SG's cooked food centres have the upper hand IMO.

haha, i wanted to visit the goldfinch as well when i planned to go in 2014 but the trip never panned out. i did briefly go on the mid-level escalators to drink coffee at elephant grounds, though!

i think i agree with you regarding the two countries, although i was surprised and perhaps disappointed at how 'consumerist' HK was. from my perspective i thought there were far more luxury malls and stores than either singapore or tokyo, something i didn't even dream was possible: i swear there are rolex and chanel signs on every corner. the contrast between areas such as mong kok and central is pretty amazing.

edit: was also surprised by HK's lack of street food stalls and more particularly - hawker centres - in comparison to singapore, as you highlighted.

Last edited:

hotmustardsauce

Reaction score
Hi guys

Long time lurker. Seldom post.

I have 2 suits sitting in the closet collecting dust.
Both Brand New unworn (with no alterations to pants or jacket)

1 is a Suit Supply Lazio Suit in EU 44R in a Grey Birdseye Fabric - Pure Reda Wool
1 is a Herringbone Plain Navy Suit in Size 36

Price is $150 each or $250 for both

Happy to post pictures if someone is interested.

Would prefer a meetup and sale in Sydney if possible.

PM if interested

Terminator

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering a Solaro suit tbh. I'm currently in Switzerland and know that it would be fine in my current workplace, I also think it would be fine in my previous workplace in Brisbane. What about if my next move takes me to Sydney or Melbourne, would Solaro be considered business appropriate?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads