• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
Ive been looking for a new iron to iron my shirts and trousers. Most recommendations I have seen are for a brand I cant seem to find in Australia. What irons do you guys use for your clothes and how much should I be looking to pay for an Iron I can buy in Australia?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have had Phillips GC4913 which lasted a few years. Now a Tefal FV4970 which is effective. Most of the chains carry a good selection.

The J

Reaction score
I have a $695 store credit over at Masons @Melbourne if anybody wants to buy anything, I'm willing to take $650 for it. You can spend anything more, you can pay me the $650 + top up for the amount above $695 as well.

I really have nothing to buy there, have been in there a couple of times.

$600, if anybody wants anything from Masons. They do Cucinelli, Isaia or more street brands like AMI, Jill Sander, Undercover etc. I really don't need anything from Masons at the moment.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Placed an order at Henry Carter's last sale, and after 3 weeks receiving nothing I pmed Jason here. He said he'd show me some photos of the remaining stock since what I ordered was gone, but that was almost 2 weeks ago and nothing since. Should I be worried, or does anybody have his email?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking for a new iron to iron my shirts and trousers. Most recommendations I have seen are for a brand I cant seem to find in Australia. What irons do you guys use for your clothes and how much should I be looking to pay for an Iron I can buy in Australia?
Pretty much any iron is good enough. The heavier the better but they really are all ok. I like one that auto switches off so theres no worry about leaving it on when you leave house or leaving it face down for a while. The only thing I've found important is to have long cord and to avoid a nonstick plate.

The women in Myers city dept used to have the best knowledge but I assume that service has deteriorated along with the rest of Myers and is staffed by casual uni students who have never ironed anything in their lives. No reason not to buy the cheapest that works.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Placed an order at Henry Carter's last sale, and after 3 weeks receiving nothing I pmed Jason here. He said he'd show me some photos of the remaining stock since what I ordered was gone, but that was almost 2 weeks ago and nothing since. Should I be worried, or does anybody have his email?
I think Jason now has 12 kids and 3 jobs and a new spiffy lawn so is very busy. But he is solid and reliable - I wouldn't worry.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t worry about shipping costs - we’ll cover that. Our stuff doesn’t attract tariffs as such - also it will more than pay for your wine shipping costs once we offload our gear locally.

Shoot me your address and the wine you’re after and we’ll make the merchandise out to you. Once you collect it safely we’ll pay you a visit.
Me too. If you are shipping some wine from Columbia me and PoP have some contacts there and would like to slip a few things into the wine case. Or perhaps some headphones. We wouldn't want our name on it and would prefer to wait for a week or so after you have dodged customs. We can pay you well in cash on delivery. You do bitcoins? Ernesto will probably come in on the deal too.

I should make it clear - we are not asking you we are TELLING you. We'd remind you we know what you wear and where you live. As the old joke goes - an offer you can't refuse. We like to make the funny joke. You laugh with us - or else.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the ironing side my life tremendously improved after I bought a steam generator (the ones with the gigantic separate tank and corded tube). I think mine were always Tefal. Due to frequent international moves I'm back to a normal iron that fits in the cupboard, and feeling the pain. Another underrated improvement is buying a decent, heavy board with proper padding.

ndrew

Reaction score
On the ironing side my life tremendously improved after I bought a steam generator (the ones with the gigantic separate tank and corded tube) ... Another underrated improvement is buying a decent, heavy board with proper padding.

I've got a Braun TS 765 ATP that automatically spits out 50g/min (whatever that means) with a steam button that spits out 150g/min (whatever that means) at the tip of the iron when required. Sometimes ironing 8-10 shirts at once, water starts dripping off the ironing board because of the amount of steam which causes condensation to form on the underside.

It also puts out enough steam to de-stench a suit after stupidly wearing one to Korean BBQ. I thought about a steam generator, but simply not ironing the quantity to justify finding somewhere to store it, and having to lug it out when I need to iron.

I think any iron should do the job like fxh says as long as you're not using an iron made from the rusted door of a fridge circa 1970 (my previous iron... got to the point where I'd use an old tshirt to cover what I was ironing because I was scared s**tless of causing stains). If you're ironing a large quantity frequently and have somewhere convenient to leave a steam generator that doesn't need moving to and fro for when you want to iron, it may be worth considering.

zjchen11

Reaction score

definitely the steam generator type irons. it makes life so much easier. worth every penny. we got one from phillips - rrp about 500 bucks for half price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads