• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eightace

Reaction score
Gents, I have been away from the forum for while. I hope everyone is doing well. I have recently accepted a new job. Looking for some new shoes. My feet became really wide so off the shelf is not an option. RMW 8.5H fits well and that's about it. Where in Sydney can I go to order some made to order shoes? I have been going through so much pain walking on incorrect shoes that happy to pay anything for a pair of comfortable shoes. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Kazuna should be able to help you with MTM.

https://www.robinsonsshoes.com/mens-shoes also have a couple of their own models in extra-wide, and they've got a 20% discount this weekend. I've got a couple of theirs, and they are very well made, great value for money.

Styleternity

Reaction score
That maybe so but I'd like to add the following:
- the stuff that DM sell have limited appeal to your 20-something, fashion and label-conscious uni students
Shopping in the big mainland cities (Sha, Bei) is almost world class now. And HK, Sin, Tok are much closer than Syd/Melb.

+1

It is unfortunate but many of the wealthy Chinese who are studying/immigrating to Australia (that I know of) are more interested in "clothing as status" or tribal iconography. I'd hate to generalise obviously, but I'd be confident that in most such sample groups the LVMH type-y brands have significantly more mindshare than, say, Eidos or Lardini. Incidentally the latter is being dropped by LC at the end of this season due to poor sales.

I don't know that the retail experience in places like Shanghai or Shenzhen is "world class" these days but it has undoubtedly improved in a significant way (Noos, Brio etc). There is still much misinformation and blatant price hiking; coupled with extremely high duties on imported luxury goods imposed by the govt. Sure, the average middle class Chinese millenial can hop a plane to HK or Sing for daigou but Australia has USP because of its education industry, desirability as a holiday destination, and relatively more accessible retail.

Article 26

Reaction score
Point of enquiry: What is everyone here using for moth (and the like) defence?

Recently moved from an apartment to a townhouse and am being bombarded with larvae of some sort and moths. Currently, I am using camphor but it’s just not protecting my coats and jackets (especially). Has been a very expensive 4 months.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Point of enquiry: What is everyone here using for moth (and the like) defence?

Recently moved from an apartment to a townhouse and am being bombarded with larvae of some sort and moths. Currently, I am using camphor but it’s just not protecting my coats and jackets (especially). Has been a very expensive 4 months.

try lavender - i bought some lavender patches on ebay and i leave one in each chest pocket in all my coats. also, those moth balls (you can get something very similar from Daiso).

keep all woollens/knitted in a sealed bag/container with stacks of lavender and moth balls.

apparently cedar works but it is quite expensive to buy.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep all of my woollen jumpers etc in a carved Chinese chest that is made of camphorwood or something similar. With regard to jackets and trousers, I hook a couple of camphor-ball holders to each railing in my wardrobe and make sure that I replace them every month or two. So far, it's worked well.

I made the mistake of putting a nice woollen blanked up in the top of my daughter's wardrobe without any camphor balls or without putting it in a box and when I took it out last winter it had been quite well chewed by moths and had numerous holes in it, which was depressing. Then again, maybe it diverted the moths away from the suits in my bedroom...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canberra is notorious for moths and at the end of winter I have all my jumpers washed and then packed away in plastic bags.

I found hanging fresh lavender in the wardrobes to be effective with jackets which are inside suit bags. YMMV

conqueror

Reaction score
i use this swiss stuff that is basically a pack of 20 scented(ish) business cards in a yellow packet which you can buy from supermarkets. does the job fine.

Article 26

Reaction score
Thank you.
I would do a multiple response but i’d make a mess of it.

Tend to put 4 camphors in each wardrobe yet after 3 weeks they are near pointless.

I am farmiliar with cedar as mum has cedar blocks in her wardrobe arrangement, the thought of having to constantly sand them is not appealing.

Spent the last 15 years in an apartment and have not had moth problems, this has been confronting.

Lavender rings a bell, will try it. Chest idea sounds perfect! Not keen on keeping pieces in suit bags or plastic - for some blizzaro reason I have evaporative cooling (the great mould factory) upstairs and air-conditioning down stairs. I know I need to address this, eventually.
Strangly my drawers are presently immune... I guess they get plenty of air.

Thanks for your responses. :fonz:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found hanging fresh lavender in the wardrobes to be effective with jackets which are inside suit bags. YMMV

Why do you guy have so many moths inside your houses??

Jumpers go in a draw. Draw stays closed till winter. How are all these moths getting at them that we require bags and flowers and other weapons?

Article 26

Reaction score
Why do you guy have so many moths inside your houses??

Jumpers go in a draw. Draw stays closed till winter. How are all these moths getting at them that we require bags and flowers and other weapons?

I feel able to answer that - sorry, GF.

They and their kin are sneaky lil F***ers, that’s how!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure whether I should post this article - it's interesting, in a frustrating, can't look away from a car crash kind of way:

"Is fashion modern? New MOMA curator discusses the most iconic clothing items, from the LBD to the hijab"

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...s-leather-new-york-curator-name-a7972371.html

The article makes some interesting - albeit very obvious - points about how wearing different clothing can mean that you are perceived differently (duh!) and about how it's now common for the ultra-rich to dress down in jeans and a hoodie, rather than wearing a tailored suit.

This bit, however, made me feel like banging my head on my desk:

"Our clothes are the interface between our soul and the world. They can function as filters, armor, amplifiers, and more. Through fashion, we can communicate many different states of mind, from allegiance to indifference, insecurity, availability, open-mindedness. From these lists of attributes and nouns, we can extrapolate how crucial fashion is our lives. Considering it vacuous means not understanding that in this day and age, even more than in the past, communicating has become the centre of our existence.

Moreover, the fashion industry is one of the most important players in the global markets, fundamental in any consideration about sustainability, labour practices, human rights, and more.

Not acknowledging the importance of fashion is almost delusional."

I really think that this person lives in a bubble. Sure, for some people, fashion and clothing is important and it plays a role in how they see themselves and how they want the world to see them.

For a lot of people, though - billions of people - clothes are simply something they wear while doing back-breaking, poorly-paid work. They're not trying to tell the world how they want to be viewed through their clothing - they are simply trying to survive.

Article 26

Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure whether I should post this article - it's interesting, in a frustrating, can't look away from a car crash kind of way:

"Is fashion modern? New MOMA curator discusses the most iconic clothing items, from the LBD to the hijab"

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...s-leather-new-york-curator-name-a7972371.html

The article makes some interesting - albeit very obvious - points about how wearing different clothing can mean that you are perceived differently (duh!) and about how it's now common for the ultra-rich to dress down in jeans and a hoodie, rather than wearing a tailored suit.

This bit, however, made me feel like banging my head on my desk:

"Our clothes are the interface between our soul and the world. They can function as filters, armor, amplifiers, and more. Through fashion, we can communicate many different states of mind, from allegiance to indifference, insecurity, availability, open-mindedness. From these lists of attributes and nouns, we can extrapolate how crucial fashion is our lives. Considering it vacuous means not understanding that in this day and age, even more than in the past, communicating has become the centre of our existence.

Moreover, the fashion industry is one of the most important players in the global markets, fundamental in any consideration about sustainability, labour practices, human rights, and more.

Not acknowledging the importance of fashion is almost delusional."

I really think that this person lives in a bubble. Sure, for some people, fashion and clothing is important and it plays a role in how they see themselves and how they want the world to see them.

For a lot of people, though - billions of people - clothes are simply something they wear while doing back-breaking, poorly-paid work. They're not trying to tell the world how they want to be viewed through their clothing - they are simply trying to survive.

Too busy not being a dot-com squilionaire to read it, someone has to iron my shirt for tomorrow.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryDowne