• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Asian recco's... I'm off to Singapore next month for a few days. What sartorial must-do's does the group have whilst there? And food suggestions too...?
I live there and I think the place is a sartorial desert in terms of value for money. What you have is a ton of really expensive options, particularly if branded, and then some super cheap, low quality tailoring as is typical in Asia (what a friend refers to as the "overnight ferry to Batam job"). For example you can try a good selection of Cuccinelli at Paragon (and then check out the niche perfumes shop upstairs), and Zegna has a cloth shop (with MTM service for $5k upwards, at least that's what they quoted) just opposite. OTOH you also have Carmina and Septieme Largeur if you want to try before you buy online (or locally).

Food-wise I think the fact that prices are de facto fixed in food courts, coupled with severe cost inflation (esp. labour and real estate), has really hit the quality. A lot of the stalls are centrally supplied with frozen ingredients of suspicious origin. Let a local friend take you to his favourite stalls I guess. The queues can be incredible - e.g. at the Adam Road hawker I've once waited 50 minutes for nasi lemak outside peak hour... (OK, but not really worth it). Chinatown Complex has craft beer stalls and enough still alright hawkers that you can have a good dinner. Owen's at the Turf Club for your crab needs (the conservative business dress and east coast places are overpriced and the crab smells off). Ikkousha ramen at Chijmes.

Personally these days I default to Pappa Rich and other "upscale" hawker because the ingredient quality is better (at a consequent price). On the upside you can get fruit juice everywhere - try soursop and buy some fresh durian and mangosteen which are much harder to find in Oz (mangosteen in particular can be as low as $5/kg).

On the upper end most of SG fine dining that is hot at the moment is actually Australian (e.g. Burnt Ends, whitegrass). The SG-run French stuff by the Les Amis group is good. The French-run stuff less consistent.

If you visit Pulau Ubin (and you should, if you like nature) stop by the Little Island Brewing Co near the ferry terminal on your way back and have some BBQ with craft beer. Or a few steps away there will be stalls selling pisang goreng. It used to be great to cycle from/to there from/to the East Coast but the new terminal has nuked half the track (unless you really like looking at planes and construction). But conversely they finished the cycling track from East Coast all the way to Marina Pier and beyond. Get yourself a Mobike or oBike account and cycle random stretches of town on empty cycle paths. Don't go to Sentosa.

Buy a local sim ASAP (in 7/11, but not the airport ones who only have the $50 ones somehow) because SG is a very connected country. Fast 4G everywhere, including in MRT tunnels, online deals, etc. and even hawker stalls have a website. Google maps is useful even to locals since the place is continuously being rebuilt. Uber is dirt cheap thanks to continuous uberPOOL promotions - maybe half my POOL rides are free.

Styleternity

Reaction score
Speaking of Asian recco's... I'm off to Singapore next month for a few days. What sartorial must-do's does the group have whilst there? And food suggestions too...?

As far as CM is concerned, I'd highly recommend: (1) Vanda Fine Clothing (which moved to a bigger premises recently); and (2) Dylan & Son (I'm very partial to their house style despite having had no hands-on experience with it).

Turning to F&B, everyone should at least try 28 HongKong Street; a bit overrated now as opposed to 2-3 years ago but still rightfully in the "World's 50 Best Bars" list. Then there's the much newer addition of ATLAS: a grandoise bar specializing in gin; an establishment that looks like a proof-of-concept for Adam Levine's Bioshock.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as CM is concerned, I'd highly recommend: (1) Vanda Fine Clothing (which moved to a bigger premises recently); and (2) Dylan & Son (I'm very partial to their house style despite having had no hands-on experience with it).

Turning to F&B, everyone should at least try 28 HongKong Street; a bit overrated now as opposed to 2-3 years ago but still rightfully in the "World's 50 Best Bars" list. Then there's the much newer addition of ATLAS: a grandoise bar specializing in gin; an establishment that looks like a proof-of-concept for Adam Levine's Bioshock.
I think 28HKS is extremely overrated: usually full of Americans (esp. west coasters, the most annoying), loud and pricey, often standing room only. Yeah, the cocktails are good (and they still have Sazerac 18 and even, it is said, some Pappy), but SG has an amazing cocktail scene and there are just so many other places you can go to like d.bespoke for cocktails or the Auld Alliance if you just want a massive list of options (I'm personally partial to Maison du Whisky because of their huge and very French agricole rhum collection and quieter vibe). Or City Space for the view with live music. Bars sprout up and die all the time, it's hard to keep track but whatever has just opened will be cheaper and hotter (same with coffee - oh, and go try Geisha Coffee in Rochor and Tiong Hoe somewhere on the green line).

AbsoluteStyle

Reaction score

Both Vanda & D&S have significant instagram exposure. Stuff looks great but there is this one disgruntled reviewer with respect to D&S that would make me hesitate - https://www.styleforum.net/threads/dylan-son-singapore-beware.529648/

An old colleague of mine bought his suits from Kingsmen Shop (apparently where all the "local" corporates get their work suits from) -http://www.kingsmenshop.com/ From the shirts and suits he wears, I would say they nailed the fit and style spot on. Not too sure about prices but I think it is in the AUD$1-2K range for a 2 piece suit. Not too sure if it's bespoke or MTM though but I'm 90% sure it's made locally in Singapore.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Journeyman, my parents are going to be in Tokyo for 2-3 days (staying in Meguro-ku) and I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for things to do well suited to older individuals. Keep in mind that they are not SF cognoscenti, so more general activities (good parks, catch-all retail, and of course food) would be gratefully heeded. Every one else is welcome to pitch their suggestions.

I'll have a think about it. Shinjuku-gyoen, a large garden park in Shinjuku, is lovely to stroll around and the "borrowed scenery" of the skyscrapers contrasts nicely with the serene nature of the park. There are some fantastic art galleries and museums, quite a few of which are either around Ueno-Koen, another park in a different area of Tokyo, or in the centre of Tokyo quite near the Imperial Palace. Speaking of which, some of the Imperial Palace's gardens are open to the public and are very nice.

With regard to food, there are some places that are a bit tricky for a non-Japanese speaker to eat at and others where, unfortunately, you'll sometimes be told "We're full" when the place is almost empty, just because you're not Japanese. You could direct your parents to Andy Hayler's blog, which is quite a good resource and I like his reviews:

https://www.andyhayler.com/restaurant-guide?country=124&city=Tokyo

Back to the subject of teh manswear: what collar style best befits single piece collars? It's an innately more casual design, some I'm assuming spread and point collars wouldn't be the best call?

I have a couple of shirts with one-piece collars made by G.Inglese, and the collars are quite spread. I've worn them with a knit tie in the past, but they're really best suited worn with tieless with chino pants, or even shorts and boat shoes or espadrilles.

I don't have any photos of my own, but here are some photos from the Inglese website:

c043dett1.jpg

c037-dett1.jpg

conqueror

Reaction score

i spent a week there in may and it was so much better than i expected, beautiful country. ate at tons of places, including four michelin starred joints. all were fantastic except the one highlighted.

michelin:
- shinji at st. regis
- shisen hanten
- chan
- summer pavilion (hugely disappointing. for a long time it was the #1 restaurant on various sites)

non-michelin:
- three buns
- jumbo seafood
- carls jr!

hawker centres:
- hong lim
- chinatown
- maxwell

coffee:
- nylon
- common man
- arc
- nanyang
- ronin

i don't drink (booze) so can't recommend bars etc. crdb raises a good point re: sim cards, i was a dumb tourist and got ripped-off at the airport. uber is stupid cheap so i also used it a ton + the MRT obviously.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey all,
I was reading the newspaper today and there was a brochure for Charles Tyrwhitt shirts with a deal of 3 shirts for $99. For off the rack shirts is this a good deal and what options for budget conscious (after the Edward Green trunk show) dress and OCBD shirt shopping are there in Melbourne?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I was reading the newspaper today and there was a brochure for Charles Tyrwhitt shirts with a deal of 3 shirts for $99. For off the rack shirts is this a good deal and what options for budget conscious (after the Edward Green trunk show) dress and OCBD shirt shopping are there in Melbourne?
There's a bunch of sort-of-Jermyn-St-based (i.e. historically had and still have a shop there) shirtmakers offering cheap shirts of low quality on perpetual sale and of those the cheapest can be had from Hawes & Curtis at around AUD 17 per shirt including shipping (and including white and light blue models which are rarely on sale elsewhere) - make sure to select the UK site and get them to ship here as the AU site has a significant mark up. This is cheaper than Uniqlo bargain bins in Singapore (the cheapest "new" shirts I know of that don't break down after one wash) which are generally SGD 19.90 for 100% cotton OCBD.

Having done Hawes & Curtis once, I probably will spring for better quality going forward, even for "disposable" shirts as the cotton is fairly low quality and got slightly furry after just one wash. It's still wearable and in classic proportions, which makes it a good option if you are a broke fresh graduate who needs to wear a lot of shirts in a suited job (beats Uniqlo).

The cheapest RTW "Jermyn Street" maker I'd be willing to buy from again is Harvie & Hudson, who are about halfway to the decent stuff from Budd, T&A, Hilditch, etc. but even on sale are closer to AUD 80/shirt (probably higher now). H&H's problem is the normal shirts fit like tents (including sleeves you could fit your leg through) and the slim fit shirts are not as well constructed. They've also recently introduced lower quality models (easy iron? I can't remember how to tell them apart) which are cheaper but not worth the money, as you might as well get H&C or CT at that price.

I have a bunch of CT shirts from the early 2000s and most are worn out. The super 180s used to be quite good, surprisingly more solid than the lower thread count cheaper poplin shirts (perhaps due to longer fibres).

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hawker centres:
- hong lim
- chinatown
- maxwell
This reminds me: hawker-wise Old Airport Road is relatively free of tourists, local-priced ($2.50 char kway teow instead of $5+ at Maxwell etc.), still close-ish to town, and has hundreds of stalls some of which are still pretty good. Including multiple places offering soursop juice and pisang goreng (harder to find in town). You can then walk to Dakota MRT, pick up an oBike, and cycle down river all the way to Stadium, then following the water to Marina Barrage, and cycle back through the gardens to MBS where you can dump the bike and resume sight seeing. Great at sunset or at night.

SIM wise Starhub has this: http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobile/mobile-phones-plans/prepaid-cards/happy-roam.html - can't remember if I mentioned it in my previous post, but using this in Australia for data ends up cheaper than Optus, Telstra or Vodafone on any low usage option. My AU prepaid SIM has the 365 day credit thing, just enough to make and receive calls, and the rest goes through my SG SIM as data (e.g. WhatsApp calls).[/QUOTE]

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After some chinos in stone, think they still call it that, in a (slightly) tapered leg. Any suggestions?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After some chinos in stone, think they still call it that, in a (slightly) tapered leg. Any suggestions?
After similar frustration I bought some M&S chinos and had the leg altered to close narrower. I think from 11 to 8 inches, or something. It was not expensive, and I think harder to screw up than say taking in a sleeve at the shoulder.

The J

Reaction score
Incotex?

On a side note, am looking at getting a Tobacco brown / Brown linen suit made for the upcoming summer. Anyone has got suggestion on which cloth merchant? Had a look at the Dugdale Bros, too light (close to mustard) IMO. Or would Wool/Linen/Silk be nicer?

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick advice: I'm flying to Melbourne tomorrow and ahve to bring a suit (wedding).

Pack it up in it's suit bag (with or without hanger?) and take as carry on OR stuff into my too small suitcase as cargo?

Thoughts, tips, advice, etc openly welcomed

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt, when I travel for work, I make sure the creases on my trousers are lined up and then fold them in three, making sure that the creases remain lined up. I then push the shoulders on my jacket in and fold the jacket in half lengthwise, with the inside lining facing out. I then fold it in half across the jacket and, if possible, nestle my trousers inside the jacket. When I get to wear I'm staying, I hang up the jacket and trousers and any creases usually fall out by the next day.

I've never bothered with a suit bag, as it's just too much trouble. I usually just take a small suitcase that can be carried on and put in the overhead luggage.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RebeccaJohnson44