Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Yeah, it's SkyBar. And there's another called the Terrace, IIRC.

But def head to QandA. The vibe there is great, and incredibly unpretentious.

2. Liber

Liber Senior member

Don't go to Vertigo, it's shit. Try a restaurant called 'Blue Elephant', really good. Also worthwhile going to check out Jim Thompson's house.

3. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

For Phuket places to eat, the best is always street food. My tip is to go out at night, and just look at the alleyways off the main strips where all the locals are having their dinner. You will find stalls with fresh seafood such as fish, king prawns, lobsters, etc on display and they are reasonably priced and prepared straight away for you. I recommend steamed whole fish in a broth of lime chilli herbs- it will blow your taste buds away.

Alternatively, you could fraternise with the Americans and dine on hamburgers and chips.

If you are game, some mobile food vendors circulating at the bars serve a local seafood salad called Yum Woon Sen which has fresh cockles (not the papaya salad). Taste sensational but hygiene is a random factor. Bring Imodium and get a Hep jab first before diving in.

Edit: for Bangkok, we have only done mostly food courts. There is one at the shopping centre in Siam (BTS Siam), and another one in the shopping centre in Sukhumvit across the street from the Westin/Mandarin hotel (BTS Asoka from memory). Arun Wat lit up in the evening after sunset is spectacular, and you can view it from a boat on the river (take the tourist version, not the local one- tourist version costs 5 times more for fare, but you are not jampacked like sardines. Take the boat from the main terminal- no 1- cannot remember the name). If you are game, take a ride to boat terminal No. 10 which is Wang Lang, on the other side of the river from glitzy Bangkok, and have a feel of what grassroots Bangkok is really like compared to the polished tourist version. BTW, nothing wrong with tourist version at all.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

There used to be a fabulous Sri Lankan restaurant in Crows Nest called Blue Elephant. Unfortunately it changed hands, went rapidly downhill, and closed within twelve months. Now if you want a decent Ceylonese rice'n'curry you have to trek out to Seven Hills.

Araliya in Hawthorn was also fantastic, if pricey. I have a feeling it may have closed too.

Yes, this is sad. I would always eat local food in Shanghai - well, maybe not local-local, as Shanghainese fare is pretty ordinary. But Sichuan, Hunan, Guangdong, Yunnan etc etc was always cheap and usually terrific.

However, so many of my expat friends wouldn't think of setting foot in such places. Always either crazy-price Western restaurants or burgers. Sad really. One gal would have a major hissy fit if there were even the tiniest hint of chilli in her food, and if the meat was anything less than burnt to a dehydrated crisp, she would send it back. Nice person, but impossible to go out for a meal with.

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm always fascinated by people who travel but won't eat the local food. I just don't get it.

Even if you only stuck to say steamed rice or noodles or dumplings - its not as if that food is strange in any way.

Sure you don't have to like everything locals like but although I haven't travelled as much as many I haven't been anywhere the food was inedible. Well Scotland, maybe, but other than that.

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

It really is inexplicable. Local food is often one of the highlights of travelling (yes, even eating boiled dog with dirty rice in a thatched shack in the highlands of a remote Indonesian island) and it's an insight into the culture and circumstances of the local people.

The food stalls at night markets in SE Asian countries are usually great - cheap, fast food prepared right in front of you so that you can check ingredients for freshness, unlike food prepared out in a back kitchen that you can't see!

Petepan's suggestion of Imodium is a good one, though - the traveller's friend in times of need, especially if you've got a long train or bus trip ahead of you!

7. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Was planning a morning trip to the Katsura Imperial Villa, but I slept in. Bugger.

Had to repack all my luggage at Kansai Airport as my carry-on was too heavy. Major clusterfuck. All good now though, managed to avoid a BIG penalty fee.

I really loved this Japan trip. A very special place. Will certainly be back for skiing next year.

And as a final icing on the cake, I was able to pick up an extra bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky at the duty-free right next to my gate. Worked out to less than A$70. Banzai!

8. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Agree, and adding further, people who go to a resturant serving an international cuisine an order something western, such as people I saw at a Malaysian resturant eating fish and chips.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

At one stage I lived in Bendigo for 6 years. Despite being one of the earliest Chinese settlements in Australia and having a great Chinese Museum (recommended) it had the worst Chinese food I have ever had. I tried almost every restaurant in town - it was all Australianised bland shit and most of them also did Steak & Eggs & Chips badly! Worst of both worlds.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016

10. sliq

sliq Senior member

thanks for the suggestion gents.

i'm staying around Siam so the food courts will be close by, and staying at kata beach in Phuket

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

The ubiquitous ( Australian) Chinese restaurant is part and parcel of the rural landscape and its very rare to find one that serves decent Chinese west of the divide, I'm not including Canberra in this. One of the best Asian restaurants I've come across was a Laotian/Thai in Albury was as good as anything in Newtown.

The leaves are falling of the local trees along my street, wish someone would inform the rest of nature that Autumn is here.

12. WillisAU

WillisAU Well-Known Member

I didn't mind the Scottish food in Scotland - Steak pie, haddock, black pudding and yes, even Haggis (although this was is hugely variable). They can keep the fkn mince and tatties though. It's their idea of other culture's food is pretty messed up. You can't go to the local Chinese without getting chips and gravy, and the "kebab" I got at the local Turkish ("Kebab & Pizza House") was swimming in a mysterious bright red sickly sweet gloop. It's not so bad in the bigger cities, and I guess they do Indian food pretty well all round too. I'm heading back in 2 weeks (married into Scots) so I'd better prepare for not having a Banh Mi or Tonkatsu Curry for lunch at any point ha.

13. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

Anyone got experience with Hermen menswear? I've been looking into them as an alternative to SuitShop, OH, etc.

Specifically if anyone's had a suit made with them and wants to comment on the experience and product.

Cheers.

14. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Have you tried Portia's Place or Chairman & Yip? Both good modern Chinese that isn't all sweet and sour pork and that junk. The Shantung Lamb at Portia's is famous amongst Canberra Pollies.

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I can heartily endorse the duck at Chairman & Yip.