• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There used to be a lot of military surplus in disposal stores or opp shops. Maybe eBay and it's actually 1940/41.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Jcrew has something similar online.

Drakes has a very nice waxed one and a linen version. Pretty expensive though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the j-crew one is sorta similar and nice price.

Maybe its modelled poorly but I'm not seeing the appeal of the drakes one. Although its got the same sorta vibe in the unbuttoned shot.

Think the Grenfell remains the closest match so far, but shes pricey and the customer service has so far been shite =/
19220365_1492357424158918_980262719796019200_n.jpg

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chadstone is worth a visit if your kids are into Lego(new Legoland-make sure you book online).

Henry Bucks and Up there are close together in the other of Collins

Masons is also worth a visit (they are like a Harrolds clone but more tightly curated)

Both the NGV Fed Square and St Kilda are worth a visit and have a kids section for activities

The Reading Room at the State Library is also nice to check out.

If you are into denim there is Corlection in the city and Pickings Parry and Godspeed which is near Double Monk and Smart Alec in Fitzroy/Collingwood.

Just to add to this, the Aardman Animations exhibition at ACMi would be great for the kids.

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
@m.angel.o
@Mr Tewkesbury
@melbournites
@Prince of Paisley
@California Dreamer

Thank you all for your contributions and suggestions. I've made a list and will see how we go in terms of visiting as much in as short a time as possible!

@Prince of Paisley - Night out with Gerry - I'm saving myself for the next trip :)

Speaking of which......Melbourne crew - It looks like I will be in town again on the 3rd and 4th of August. Anyone interested in a quiet few/meetup? Waiting on ticket confirmation but 90% likely those are the dates.

ovlov

Reaction score
Harrolds outlet at Crown is currently 70% off just about everything in store. Some really great bargains in there. I was VERY tempted to pick up a pair of stunning black John Lobb double monks. Worth a visit for sure.

Wow! what's a 70% off Lobb cost these days. Any Idea when the sale ends? I might give them a call and see if they allow phone orders if there's anything in my size.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the j-crew one is sorta similar and nice price.

Maybe its modelled poorly but I'm not seeing the appeal of the drakes one. Although its got the same sorta vibe in the unbuttoned shot.

Think the Grenfell remains the closest match so far, but shes pricey and the customer service has so far been shite =/
19220365_1492357424158918_980262719796019200_n.jpg

Agreed. Grenfell stuff looks fantastic but its about 6 or 7 weeks and I still haven't received a reply to any of my email enquiries. Perhaps have a look at Luxire to see if they have any appropriate fabrics. I couldn't be happier with how my trench coat turned out. It was a bit pricey but the quality is great and I got them to copy me an Aquascutum design that still would have cost more than double what I paid and they did of good job of matching both the design and features.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Osiris2012, I bought one of the MJ Bale field jackets in olive green for $199 at a recent sale. Pretty good value, and a very nice jacket for what it is.

Eidos/Christian Kimber have an amazing one in Japanese denim cotton, but maybe not in green. Plus it's pricey.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This has probably been asked a hundred times, but I can't find anything on google or the search function

What are some good dry cleaners in or near the Sydney conservative business dress?
For (not ruining) a suit

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Grenfell stuff looks fantastic but its about 6 or 7 weeks and I still haven't received a reply to any of my email enquiries. Perhaps have a look at Luxire to see if they have any appropriate fabrics. I couldn't be happier with how my trench coat turned out. It was a bit pricey but the quality is great and I got them to copy me an Aquascutum design that still would have cost more than double what I paid and they did of good job of matching both the design and features.

Yeah love luxire for shirts but getting the fit of a jacket right seems like a lengthy process and im not sure there's much $ difference for that style jacket. Did you ever share any pics of your trench coat?

@Osiris2012, I bought one of the MJ Bale field jackets in olive green for $199 at a recent sale. Pretty good value, and a very nice jacket for what it is.

Eidos/Christian Kimber have an amazing one in Japanese denim cotton, but maybe not in green. Plus it's pricey.

That is a solid, good value jacket, tried it on twice over the season but just not quite what I was after more on the casual side...and I really want the collar to have the option of standing up. For any one else, if the MJB one is sold out suitsupply have a similar green one available.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has probably been asked a hundred times, but I can't find anything on google or the search function

What are some good dry cleaners in or near the Sydney conservative business dress?
For (not ruining) a suit

I always use Maurice. They have an outlet in the basement level of the MLC Centre (directly under the Brunello Cuccinelli store) and another on the upper level of the Chifley Centre. I imagine both feed to the same location for actual cleaning, but I can only vouch for the MLC outlet which was recommended to me by my alterations tailor.

They haven't ruined anything yet...

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Wow! what's a 70% off Lobb cost these days. Any Idea when the sale ends? I might give them a call and see if they allow phone orders if there's anything in my size.

As soon as I saw the post I was on google then the phone, alas, nothing of interest in my size. Last time I was in Harrold's on Collin's (probably the last time I will ever venture there again) the Lobb's (william, buffalo) were $2350 which makes 70% off $705 - A ******* steal, enjoy the French.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
I always use Maurice. They have an outlet in the basement level of the MLC Centre (directly under the Brunello Cuccinelli store) and another on the upper level of the Chifley Centre. I imagine both feed to the same location for actual cleaning, but I can only vouch for the MLC outlet which was recommended to me by my alterations tailor.

They haven't ruined anything yet...
Sydney have a Brunello Cuccinelli store? Damn Melbourne!

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BC stuff is horribly overpriced but I do quite like their styling, especially for jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads