1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I have a friend who describes himself as an invariant blazer wearer. On his travels he scours markets for old brass military buttons which he then has the Mrs place on his blazers for him.

Last night while going through a couple of Art boxes left over from moving. I found a set of RAAF, same design was used by RAF, black uniform buttons, as there were no Emus in my family Mrs GF concluded they must have come from one of her aunts former husbands. There pictured bellow and wonder if anyone wants them for free. Any takers? PM me if you want them.

[​IMG]

2. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

I like brown shoes with blue suits but the shades have to be right, fashion dictates that the blue is quite bright these days.

That suit in the photo seems rather grey.

Picked up 8 wool jumpers from Trenary, on eBay. All in good nick, most with tasteful shoulder and elbow patches, very smart with my favourite a light blue. My first bid of $30 was pushed up to a final sell price of $60. Not too shabby. Perhaps a petite style forumer looking for a tight fit put in a bid...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  3. Highlands

Highlands Member

Somewhat agree for more formal business settings, eg. London magic circle law firm meeting.

For the most part in Australia though, considering most gents think RM Williams boots are suitable footwear for suits, shoes in a colour that doesn't clash with the suit should be ok...different perceptions for all I suppose.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

On thing i noticed an abundance of in Sydney in January was RAF Blue cotton suits with Tan Brogues. Worked well. IMHO

Tonight dinner with Mrs GF me navy linen trousers with lavender gingham check linen shirt and brown suede brogues.

5. herringbonePete

I'm spotting blue trousers in a fairly medium weight fabric, probably cotton, looks good in fact. Where are people buying these?

6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I'm ok with wearing regimental ties even if you don't belong to the regiment but RAAF buttons I'd expect the wearer to have shot down at least three Messerschmitts by lunch time.

7. meister

meister Senior member

Thrifted a beautiful RLPL shirt recently like that with extreme cut away collar. Very nice.

1 person likes this.
  8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

there's no way I'd sell the business because it's a family name (my grandfather) but the website is obviously worth something so if someone wanted to buy that on the proviso it'd get a name/url change then I'd consider that definitely.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Why not? Dick Smith ... Roger Dubuis ... GĂ©rald Genta ...

Plenty of people have sold their own name (or that of a relative), and they survived.

Seriously though, you could write a clause in the contract allowing them to use the name for a run-off period (say 24 months) while they go about winning over your client base's confidence.

I have no idea what sort of volume you've generated over the past years, but the name and the database would certainly be worth something. Don't go pissing that potential monetisation opportunity up against a wall.

4 people like this.
  10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

^Cox, I think that you've almost managed to talk yourself into taking it over as a side business!

And the best bit is - you get your pick of the ties!

11. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I'm trying to find some vintage jewellery for my girlfriend's birthday.

Can anyone suggest a good online shop / store in Sydney?

12. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Falcon
    Uniqlo
    3Sixteen
    Alden

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Eh I'm out, whoever is bidding on the CJ wests, wear in good health.

14. Geoffrey Firmin

There are a number of good estate jewlers between Park & Market St on Caslelreagh St. I've bought Mrs GF a few things there over the years and also had our wedding rings made by a jewler on that strip.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. fxh

fxh Senior member

Temple of Jawns
    Uniqlo
    3Sixteen
    Alden

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. nelsypants

nelsypants Active Member

Hey there fellow Australians. Another Melbourne dweller here, I've got a fair few suits I need altered. Has anyone got any suggestions for an alterations tailor?

18. herringbonePete

Aussie thread lore has it that Katrinas or Sam in docklands is the place, I've used both...

FXH has a secret seamstress...

19. Geoffrey Firmin

Ha that's what he wants you to think. He uses the last CR sweatshop in Coburg.

20. nelsypants

nelsypants Active Member

I've used Katrinas before, they were alright but needed a bit of prodding. Who is this so called Sam of Docklands?