• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sensuki

Reaction score
Are there any decent OTR options in Australia for chinos with a higher rise (not high)? Most of the chinos (Country Road, MJ Bale etc) seem to be low rise.

Or is the only option MTM?

Might be too late, but I prefer a higher rise too and I ended up getting some made by a German tailor on Etsy, Hepville Custom Clothing as I was looking for an army style chino rather than a dressy trouser.

Currently on their way here from Germany, I went for a 12" front rise, back rise is probably ~ 17" and I think the fit will end up something like a straight tapered fit, I think the thigh opening is 12.5" and the hem 7.75", not sure about the knee.

From the pics it looks like they came out pretty nice. Single needle stitching, high stitch density, bound seams, vintage corozo buttons, fabric from a german mill.

Cost me 270 euro shipped in February, which was ~$383 at the time, unfortunately the AUD has dropped since then

icm_fullxfull.120516944_k53ynl2uj7kw4gs00woc.jpg

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any decent OTR options in Australia for chinos with a higher rise (not high)? Most of the chinos (Country Road, MJ Bale etc) seem to be low rise.

Or is the only option MTM?

How about Uniqlo?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about Uniqlo?
I have 6 pairs of Uniqlo chinos, they are all tight fitting and low rise, except a pair from a discontinued model from 2 years ago.

M&S, if available in Australia, does cheap chinos with a high rise (and also a very broad fit; I had to get the entire leg taken in by my tailor).

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 6 pairs of Uniqlo chinos, they are all tight fitting and low rise, except a pair from a discontinued model from 2 years ago.

M&S, if available in Australia, does cheap chinos with a high rise (and also a very broad fit; I had to get the entire leg taken in by my tailor).

Gee, you must really like your Uniqlo chinos to have 6 pairs! Recently passed on a pair of mid brown Incotex chinos going for Euro$55. Brain not functioning as it was too cold that day, that is my excuse.

da(g)dstyle

Reaction score
Might be too late, but I prefer a higher rise too and I ended up getting some made by a German tailor on Etsy, Hepville Custom Clothing as I was looking for an army style chino rather than a dressy trouser.

Currently on their way here from Germany, I went for a 12" front rise, back rise is probably ~ 17" and I think the fit will end up something like a straight tapered fit, I think the thigh opening is 12.5" and the hem 7.75", not sure about the knee.

From the pics it looks like they came out pretty nice. Single needle stitching, high stitch density, bound seams, vintage corozo buttons, fabric from a german mill.

Cost me 270 euro shipped in February, which was ~$383 at the time, unfortunately the AUD has dropped since then

View attachment 787609
That is quite expensive... Has anyone tried luxire?

sensuki

Reaction score
That is quite expensive... Has anyone tried luxire?

I thought it was a reasonable price for what it is - one man operation, 320gsm german fabric, made in germany and very high quality construction. Quite happy to pay a bit more in that instance. The guy also showed me some loomstate german linen and some linen/cotton selvedge duck fabric that looked awesome for summer workwear style chinos which I'll absolutely consider in the future when the AU/EU rate improves again. But yeah I splurge more on pants than most people.

I haven't heard good things about the cotton twill fabric that Luxire offers for $99 usd, so I didn't bother with that.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gee, you must really like your Uniqlo chinos to have 6 pairs! Recently passed on a pair of mid brown Incotex chinos going for Euro$55. Brain not functioning as it was too cold that day, that is my excuse.
I live within walking distance to two large and one medium sized uniqlos with frequent discount bin chinos. I periodically walk in, take a look and add to my collection for under S$20 a pair. They're not great, but they are original without being gaudy and allow me to expand my palette without much expense. Unfortunately I am sometimes a bit optimistic about what size I am "going to be", so there are some quite nice ones (including deep wine cords that would be perfect with a Chester Barrie sports coat I love) that I've never worn, still trying to size down for the occasion...

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent comments on HB are in my opinion a little unfair. Sure, they have stiff markups. They also have without question the best range of high-end RTW menswear in Australia. The shop is well-staffed, customer service seems pretty decent to me, and if you're patient and wait for their twice-yearly sales, you can score great bargains.

I for one would hate to see them close their doors.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Recent comments on HB are in my opinion a little unfair. Sure, they have stiff markups. They also have without question the best range of high-end RTW menswear in Australia. The shop is well-staffed, customer service seems pretty decent to me, and if you're patient and wait for their twice-yearly sales, you can score great bargains.

I for one would hate to see them close their doors.
Unfair, I don't believe my commentary unfair.
Of late, the premier store has undergone bastardisation. The lower ground now suffers the indignity of reduced stock range and that ridiculous Canali boutique.
The sales team, predominantly, now resemble the riff-raff you'd find in Calibre.
Customer service and variety were once the corner-stone of the business - hence I was a loyal customer for just excess of 20 years.
Often, I'd spend time there shopping with my father. I bare first witness to the slide.
It is a great shame.

__PG__

Reaction score
So the Herringbone closing down sale as begun online. Nothing stands out as a 'screaming buy' yet, but I presume this sale has a long way to run yet.

I'm sure we'll all keep an eye out for the in-store and pop-sales when they start.

We live in hope that they sell their C&J footwear on sale too.

Of course this means that Rhodes and Beckett is also on sale.

BTW I ended up getting the double-breasted Peter Jackson suit w/waistcoat. It's the first time I've bought a new suit that wasn't from Azzaro. Great fabric, great fit with just a few alterations for sleeve length and around the back of the armpits.

da(g)dstyle

Reaction score
Has anyone bought shoes from double monk before? Is it just me or do their markups seem a bit high?

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
IMG_2212.JPG
IMG_2213.JPG
IMG_2214.JPG
Has anyone bought shoes from double monk before? Is it just me or do their markups seem a bit high?
I have and do purchase from the team at DM. Ben, Charles & Tom are exceptional in their knowledge and customer service. I commend Nick.
As to the pricing policy; really not for me to say, but I will. The small percentage you pay in premium, to me, more than justifies the experience and service of choosing - in-store - the next addition to your wardrobe. To be fit for size is very important to me (given the last variety).
I understand some are more frugal than others (& understand I sound like a twat), but the experience and fit are paramount to me.

Last 3 purchases from DM:
William - JL
Langham - CJ
Claverton - EG (MTO)

Last edited:

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
What last were they on and what shape are your feet?
The Rain last, I think.
I have a rather broad foot but that was not the issue as the shoe in question was a wholecut (thus more forgiving in breadth). The pressure upon the heel was horrid. Never again.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad experiences happen sometimes, but I've yet to meet an uncomfortable pair of carminas.

Speaking of which '15OFF-CARMINA' for 15% orders from their site.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads