• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like Carmina has raised prices on a couple of their calf oxfords, now through the $500 barrier >.< Doesn't seem like too many years ago you'd be looking at cordovan for around that price.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ruzzi

Reaction score
Are there any decent OTR options in Australia for chinos with a higher rise (not high)? Most of the chinos (Country Road, MJ Bale etc) seem to be low rise.

Or is the only option MTM?

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Are there any decent OTR options in Australia for chinos with a higher rise (not high)? Most of the chinos (Country Road, MJ Bale etc) seem to be low rise.

If you are already considering MTM I suggest you do that. Naturally you will not only get a better fit but a finer quality cotton and a more personal style.

As for OTR options??? I have the same trouble as you, it would seem, either they are low rise; too narrow; lacking quality or all of the formentioned. If you are in Melbourne there are one or two vestiges left. American Tailors or Henry Bucks (sadly HB are a little too fashionable of late).

Go the MTM road, you'll be happier.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not Australian but have a look at Bill's Chinos. They have two types the M1 and the M2 I wear the M2P which is the pleated version and the rise sits at the true waist.

da(g)dstyle

Reaction score
Not Australian but have a look at Bill's Chinos. They have two types the M1 and the M2 I wear the M2P which is the pleated version and the rise sits at the true waist.
I'd second that opinion. Did you get your M2 tapered? It was a bit full for me, I'm pretty skinny at 178cm/67kg so I went for the M3 which has a slightly lower rise and more tapered leg. It's pretty mid-waisted for me.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd second that opinion. Did you get your M2 tapered? It was a bit full for me, I'm pretty skinny at 178cm/67kg so I went for the M3 which has a slightly lower rise and more tapered leg. It's pretty mid-waisted for me.
I think there now doing an M1? No don't taper my Bills like them as is.

melbournites

Reaction score
I'm incredibly proud to have been featured for the second time on Put This On - http://putthison.com/post/160950780628/real-people-striking-a-balance-between

Check it out if you have a chance - I think Derek did a great job with the article. There are no tie or squares but I hope you'll enjoy it anyway.

Congrats. Enjoying your current series on instagram on taking inspiration from others.

You need to share your secrets one day on how you organize your closet space. I am running out of space even with separate warm weather and colder weather closet and then finding places to store shoes etc.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats. Enjoying your current series on instagram on taking inspiration from others.

You need to share your secrets one day on how you organize your closet space. I am running out of space even with separate warm weather and colder weather closet and then finding places to store shoes etc.

It's a real challenge and I need to make some room. I've packed away some stuff. I also have knitwear folded and stored under the bed in large plastic storage containers. Most shoes are stored in their boxes because they can sit on top of one another.

Glad you're enjoying the instagram series. It's great fun to write.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me bad the M3 is the trimest cut. The rise on the M1 is lower and their not cut as full as the M2.

Decreased

Reaction score
Looks like Carmina has raised prices on a couple of their calf oxfords, now through the $500 barrier >.< Doesn't seem like too many years ago you'd be looking at cordovan for around that price.

Needed some brown oxfords to go with a new suit for an event and pulled the trigger on a pair at full price.

There were streaks and a small patch that appeared undied on the burnished toe.

Will probably wait for better pricing, an mto fee waiver, or something good on outlet. The only thing I'd buy full price ATM would be the balmoral boots, which are not in stock in brown calf/suede. Seeing what the shoes I bought cost, I wonder if Meermins price/quality ratio is a better option for many but don't own a pair myself.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Needed some brown oxfords to go with a new suit for an event and pulled the trigger on a pair at full price.

There were streaks and a small patch that appeared undied on the burnished toe.

Will probably wait for better pricing, an mto fee waiver, or something good on outlet. The only thing I'd buy full price ATM would be the balmoral boots, which are not in stock in brown calf/suede. Seeing what the shoes I bought cost, I wonder if Meermins price/quality ratio is a better option for many but don't own a pair myself.
Don't Carminas have a bevelled waist? That would make it worth the premium for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads