• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to shoes so was wondering if you someone could help me out. Not too long ago I bought a pair of goodyear welted shoes and got a topy on the shoes through Shoe Worx at Chifley, however I find the heel of the shoes to be slippery on sloped surfaces, tiles and wet surfaces. Are there any remedies for this ? Thanks in advance.

Topy the sole?

theowbert

Reaction score
Topy the sole?

Again, bit of a noob when it comes to shoes, but I have a few related questions:
  • Is this a standard procedure? If so, would this affect the ability to resole should I need one in the future ?
  • I've also worn the shoes a few times so there is some general wear on the heel, would this affect a cobbler's ability to therefore apply a topy?
Cheers for the response.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes i know what you mean. A lot of english makers do leather heels with just a tiny bit of rubber in the corner which does bugger all for grip. I usually wear rm's which have rubber heels but used to just replace the heel with full rubber when it had worn, usually about a year in. In the mean time try score the leather part of the heal with a sharp knife.

theowbert

Reaction score
Yes i know what you mean. A lot of english makers do leather heels with just a tiny bit of rubber in the corner which does bugger all for grip. I usually wear rm's which have rubber heels but used to just replace the heel with full rubber when it had worn, usually about a year in. In the mean time try score the leather part of the heal with a sharp knife.

The shoes I bought are Carlos Santos via Skoaktiebolaget, and have a portion of rubber at the back of the heel section and wood (I think ?) for the rest of it so I don't think scoring it is going to be an option. Picture from Skoaktiebolaget for reference.

Carlos-Santos-10007-Black-Calf-234-Last-4_1024x1024.jpg

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's leather not wood. It'll score up just fine, do it in a criss cross pattern. I've been doing it for years. No need to do it too deep it's just to give you some grip until the sole wears enough to grip better. It's only slipping at the moment because the leather is new and glossy.

theowbert

Reaction score
That's leather not wood. It'll score up just fine, do it in a criss cross pattern. I've been doing it for years. No need to do it too deep it's just to give you some grip until the sole wears enough to grip better. It's only slipping at the moment because the leather is new and glossy.

I always thought that area was wood because it kinda feels like wood, shows you how little I know about shoes LOL.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Well a
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to shoes so was wondering if you someone could help me out. Not too long ago I bought a pair of goodyear welted shoes and got a topy on the shoes through Shoe Worx at Chifley, however I find the heel of the shoes to be slippery on sloped surfaces, tiles and wet surfaces. Are there any remedies for this ? Thanks in advance.
Well, all my shoes are Goodyear welted, whether they are leather or dainite I tend to leave as are.
Topy, from my understanding, is a rather poor product and doesn't allow sufficient graduated grip. I tend to have inset metal caps applied to the toe and a rubber heel grip if the shoe is not equipped with one. Works for me.
IMG_2142.JPG

da(g)dstyle

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm trying to start a men's blog from the Aussie perspective because we get a bit shafted when it comes to availablity of clothes, shoes, etc. Please drop by and have a read and follow/share if you like what you see!
https://dagdstyle.com

da(g)dstyle

Reaction score
I always thought that area was wood because it kinda feels like wood, shows you how little I know about shoes LOL.
I don't much like topy as it doesn't actually provide much grip and is downright deadly when there is any water around. I do get taps added since I'm hard on shoes but at my workplace I sometimes find metal ones to be a bit slippery also.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm trying to start a men's blog from the Aussie perspective because we get a bit shafted when it comes to availablity of clothes, shoes, etc. Please drop by and have a read and follow/share if you like what you see!
https://dagdstyle.com
While not an Aussie born of soil, it is my adopted persona. And F*cK yeah, representation is required.

theowbert

Reaction score
Well a

Well, all my shoes are Goodyear welted, whether they are leather or dainite I tend to leave as are.
Topy, from my understanding, is a rather poor product and doesn't allow sufficient graduated grip. I tend to have inset metal caps applied to the toe and a rubber heel grip if the shoe is not equipped with one. Works for me. View attachment 784247

I don't much like topy as it doesn't actually provide much grip and is downright deadly when there is any water around. I do get taps added since I'm hard on shoes but at my workplace I sometimes find metal ones to be a bit slippery also.

I did some research on topy's vs metal caps before buying the shoes, but there doesn't really seem to be one answer that everyone can agree on. It seems it all comes down to what each person prefers. I am fairly young so these are my first pair of proper shoes and hopefully down the track I'll have a much more informed decision about what works for me. I think long-term I would be seeking the option that provides the most grip as I've had some close calls with these shoes and some ****** loafers I've had previously.

da(g)dstyle

Reaction score
I did some research on topy's vs metal caps before buying the shoes, but there doesn't really seem to be one answer that everyone can agree on. It seems it all comes down to what each person prefers. I am fairly young so these are my first pair of proper shoes and hopefully down the track I'll have a much more informed decision about what works for me. I think long-term I would be seeking the option that provides the most grip as I've had some close calls with these shoes and some ****** loafers I've had previously.
Yes it definitely comes down to personal preference and how you are going to use the shoes. I work in a hospital with a lot of linoleum and spilt liquids so topy's are dangerous as hell but you might primarily walk on footpaths in which case they are probably fine and will extend the life of your soles. Here's a helpful article if you haven't read it already: http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2017/04/additions-to-your-sole.html

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
I'm prepared to shame myself, my school shoes were Bally Scribe & I, like you, had topy soles applied to the first pair - slip and slide.
I agree, it's unavoidable, consensus is a luxury rarely assigned.
There are certainly some surfaces a good grip will not be attained without the most rugged of rubber soles, for elegant / semi-elegant day-to-day wear I recommend a simple daintie sole. However, as stated previously, leather or double leather is for me perfectly fine.
Purpose and purposefulness are for the beholder.

Contango

Reaction score
I find Topy gives me better grip in the wet than Dainite. I get both Topy and a metal cap on my shoes - both grip and longevity.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
IMG_2144.JPG
I find Topy gives me better grip in the wet than Dainite. I get both Topy and a metal cap on my shoes - both grip and longevity.
I personally prefer Ridgeway over Dainite, but prefer either over Topy.
My JL Norways have the Ridgeway sole. Should you not be familiar...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads