1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Do you get a free HC shantung tie if you order the shantung lamb? If so book me in.

Also, why all the hate for Aussie Chinese food, who doesn't love a flouro S&S pork or the Last Dim Sim with a generous side of extra MSG?

Bloody snobs.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Chairman & Yip has moved out of Civic to Barton, where I've eaten at their previous incarnation.

I eat at Sammy's a bit.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  3. eightace

eightace Senior member

Would anyone care to recommend some nice shaving cream? I'm just about to run out of TOBS Sandalwood, thought I might try something different.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Occam's original shave cream, been using it the past nine months. Also Mitchell's Wool Fat, Proraso Blue..

1 person likes this.
  5. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I've been using TOBS Jerymn Street for a few years now and quite pleased with it.

If you want to try Shaving Soap, I liked Trumper but soap started to annoy me.

2 people like this.
  6. eightace

eightace Senior member

Thanks for the tips gents.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

I was taking the piss re Scottish food. My brother lives there. I do agree though anything vaguely "ethnic" is done very badly.

Traditional food is done well. Haggis is great. Roasts are good. Some fish is great. Some chips great othes shite. Breakfast black pud great.

2 people like this.
  8. crdb

crdb Senior member

For other members travelling to Japan and bringing whisky back, note it's cheaper landside than at any of the duty free stores (which are usually out anyway).

If you want an extensive selection, Hasegawa in Tokyo Station is pretty good - they used to have Fuji 18 year old until a friend and I effectively drained their stock over repeated 2015 trips (at ~$100, it was a steal). If you're optimizing for price, may I recommend visiting the nearest 7/11. I brought back two bottles of 500ml Taketsuru for $16 each. They also have Yamazaki, Miyagikyo and Hakushu.

Zoetrope in Shinjuku is a great place to explore the rarer Japanese whiskies, quite cheap too and he has a LOT open.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Yes and no. Admittedly I didn't do an exhaustive comparison of every outlet in Osaka, but at Hankyu Department Store, the Nikka Coffey Grain was ¥6450 (incl tax). At the tiny little Kansai duty free stall near the gate, it was ¥5400. Even if I had claimed back the tax from Hankyu, it would still have been more expensive.

OTOH a bottle of Yamazaki 18yo - apparently now impossible to get anywhere except Japan - was ¥36,000 in a small bottle shop in Pontocho (Kyoto), but ¥50,000 at the Kansai place. I can assure you I was not buying at either price. I'm sure it's can't be worth that much.

1 person likes this.
  10. crappbag

crappbag Senior member

If you're referring to Herman bros
    I've got a few suits from Herman and highly recommend. Good customisation and construction at a very competitive price. Have been a few blogs written reviewing his suits which I think I can dig up and pm you later.

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

Worst travel companions right after the ones who would whinge about everything or mos of the times are one and the same people.

Dog meat, is in fact quite delicious. They aren't known as the "fragrant meat" for nothing!
    One tip I get when traveling is unless you're eating at the restaurant in the Sheraton or something that is known to have some sort of standard in hygiene, it is actually safer to eat where you can see the food being cooked so you can see that the germs get burnt or steamed to high heaven.

I quite like the toast that Malaysians make...

The problem is that after a few times, you realise what sim sum you pick here they all taste exactly the same.

Back on sartorially related, does anyone here have any experience working in Hong Kong? Looking for knowledge on appropriate office wear. I did a google on it and all I got sounded really BS about everything is white shirt and black/charcoal suits and everything else is frowned upon.

12. crdb

crdb Senior member

Interesting on the DF stall. I've never seen this before, and will check out next time I fly out of Kansai airport. My last flight out, prices were not competitive with landside options; both Haneda and Narita's Japanese selections were sold out every flight in 2015.

Hankyu, Daimaru, Takeshimaya, the big stores tend to be overpriced, at least in my recent experience and for what I was looking for (Chihiro's Malt, mostly). A small bottle shop is exactly what you want, and where the gems can be found with some digging - but I never found a good one in Tokyo (haven't looked particularly hard mind you).

I drank the 18 and I also don't think it's worth that much even if a friend swears by it - I prefer Taketsuru 21 (which is also exorbitant these days), and it was also in Kyoto that I found the best prices, go figure... there's even a SMWS associated bar in Kyoto that sold Port Ellen for $10 a shot as recently as late 2014!

But the same money could, for example, get me three single cask experiments from the Savanna distillery (you have to email them and ask what they have) shipping included, or a couple bottles of Michel Couvreur Overaged (which you can taste first at the amazing Farmhouse King's Cross). Hence switching back to piling $10 half bottles of "basic" stuff from 7/11 to maximise my duty free ROI...

Righto, back to sartorial matters.

13. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

When in Tokyo, a MUST stop is Book Off in Shibuya. They're a second hand department store that sells movies,TV shows, books, video games, and clothes. Some of the other shops around Tokyo and the rest of the country are quite weak when it comes to decent clothing, but the Shibuya store had a great range, including Schott, Aero, Barbout, RL, RRL, Buzz Rickson, Moscot and many more. It's where I picked up my black Aero jacket from.

14. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

Yep, that's them - thanks.

15. Ransyn

Ransyn Active Member

For me i love the clothes in japan, i frequent Burberry black label every year im there, theres been a nice DB trench coat i see every year (winter range) but ive never been able to buy it since small is always out of stock. Bit pricey but burberry has always been a guilty pleasure shop for me. For a bit more of a local brand id reccomend Hare, they used to be in Harajuku but since i didnt get to go last year, my brother has informed me they have moved to shibuya. The quality is more than fair and at least personally the style suits me. American rag cie would be another one but that place is very hit and miss in terms of styling and the price is a bit high even for simple things like a plain cotton shirt. Comme ca for something a bit more commercial but again the style of clothes are a lot more me.

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I had some great dog in East Timor, but the dog in Flores just wasn't as good!

Entirely agree on the "eat where you can see the cooking" philosophy - that's why the warungs/street stalls are so good.

Kaya toast is great.

Book Off also sells second-hand watches. I'm not sure what prices are like now, but it used to be a great place to pick up a second-hand Omega Speedy Pro in excellent condition.

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Just picked up my Oscar Hunt sports coat now off to Bondi. Very happy, next a new overcoat or blue DB pin/chalk stripe suit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ps of course this is contingent on the progress of Mrs GF's landscaping project.(sigh)

PS big thanks to Steve for his assistance.

PPS fabric details Porter & Harding Glorious Twelfth ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Twelfth ) Scottish milled 11oz. pure wool.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    2 people like this.
  18. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

There's 2 of them. Herman Bros in Sydney and Hermen (with an e) Menswear who are online but based in Melbourne. I can vouch for both but both are also stockists of mine so I'm of course biased.

19. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I saw a speedy pro for about ¥220,000 before 8% tax and 10% off but decided to save my money.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  20. crdb

crdb Senior member

How does it compare to the selection at Komehyo?