1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Take the wife instead. :)

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

My plastic doesn't need to be mauled.

3. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

A couple of people were asking about the suit I had made by Steve Calder in Melbourne:

7 people like this.
  4. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

That looks really great. The colour is excellent and those pants (especially the waist) look spot fucking on.

5. sebastian mcfox

Thanks Matt - the pants are very comfy, although I'm still getting used to the fact they are unlined

6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I've got to say that, with woollen trousers, I prefer half-lined, to the knee.

The suit looks very nice and I love the shirt collar. What was the turn-around time and how many fittings did you have?

1 person likes this.
  8. sebastian mcfox

Tbh it's an experiment driven by the house style. I'm not sure how I feel. But the suit is 8oz and designed for peak summer. I appreciated the trousers in Melbourne's heat today. We'll see.

Turnaround time is ordinarily 2-3 months. A little longer for me because travelled interstate, plus requested a couple of changes to the sleeve and trouser width. With my travel schedule this added on a couple of months. Steve's responsive and if you live in Melbourne it will be quick.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  9. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Don't suppose you could give us a ballpark price for Steve's suits?

I had been thinking about Trunk but I could be persuaded otherwise...

10. crappbag

crappbag Senior member

I have a pair of unlined pjt trousers. Similarly designed for peak summer. I'm a bit conflicted on them.

I like the lightness and added ventilation (it's also an open weave wool). But the trade-offs have been more frequent need for dry cleaning and that they are wearing out faster than my other trousers (particularly around the seat) - this could be in part be attributed to the robustness of the LP fabric though.

I'm still not sure if I would do it again.

11. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Code:

I also have a similar Hackett light wool unlined pants. Similar issues, minimal difference in comfort factor.

12. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Suit looks great, really impressive.

13. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

A pair of pants made by a tailor in Australia that actually look like they fit. What a novel idea.

2 people like this.
  14. Amycus

Amycus Member

My first post gentleman.

Compliments on the suit - it looks very smart indeed. But what I really want is a waist that pants fit like that [​IMG]

Regards
    A

15. sensuki

sensuki Member

I'm not sure about actual suits but trousers start at $599 and I remember reading that a Sports Jacket starts at $1199 somewhere, but I'm not sure if that's lined or unlined.

I got the off-white cotton trousers here, which were $699 - https://www.instagram.com/p/BRE1L_BAlxI/

You can probably figure out the ballpark from that. The only minor niggle I have about Steve's trousers is that they're finished by a local Melbourne tailor who uses an overlock stitch for the cuff, I'd prefer a lock stitch and some seam tape on the bottom, but it may be possible to ask for that specifically. Otherwise I'm very happy with mine and Steve paid more attention during the fitting than the other places I've had something made by.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  16. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

If that suit is any indication, this Calder guy should get plenty more business from us StyMoFos.

@sebastian mcfox please PM me some price indications and contact details, thanks!

17. sliq

sliq Senior member

Is it me, or are unlined trousers too itchy for my likes?

18. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Not sure what you like.

1 person likes this.
  19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I suspect the itchiness of one's trousers (especially, unlined woollen ones) is inversely proportional to the hairiness of one's legs.

When at the age of about 12 I went into long flannel trousers for the winter school uniform, they drove me insane. My mother had to sew linings in to them, bless her soul.

But back then, I guess my legs were hairless. I can't remember ever being bothered by trouser itch as an adult. I have moderately hairy legs.

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I've never found unlined trousers a problem allways find it more comfortable in the role of keyboard monkey/desk jockey. Personally prefer unlined with linen trousers.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017