1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

About as good as their icecream.

1 person likes this.
  2. melbournites

melbournites Active Member

Levi's are good especially their cone denim slevedge which I think is USA made. During discount periods can be good value. Their LVC and Levi made and crafted which is not available in Oz officially is where the really good stuff is. Nice replica of vintage designs etc. I also like RRL denim which available in Melbourne Collins Stret store. Polo Ralph used to have an excellent online store that you could browse and purchase RRL and purple label stuff but with the restructure has gone missing.

3. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Who are the watch nerds among us? My parents are gifting me a watch for my birthday and I'd like to know of some reputable vintage watch dealers.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Over The Moo coconut mango is to die for. Actually any of theirs.

Note it's dairy free. Vegan friendly.[​IMG]

Post script; I am not nor ever been a member of the soy latte set. However I've heard PoP say this of fxh.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. otyson

otyson New Member

Hi guys,

Hopefully i am in the right thread for these types of questions!

Am starting a new job which requires something more smart/casual (pants/trousers + button up LS shirts).

I am after any advice on brands and where to get the following:

- Shoes. Black or brown. Preferably Goodyear welt. Not too fussy about the style, more concerned with quality. Anything decent below 500AUD?

- Shirts. Where should I be looking? MJ Bale? Looking for something that is comfortable and suitable to warmer weather (I sweat a lot).

Hopefully i have given enough information.. also, I am based in Sydney.

6. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

Those ones that are cut like pringles are amazing

7. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

On shoes: if you're willing to take a risk with sizing, order Carmina online is a great option. If you have time, Proper Cloth is a great online MTM shirt service. Quality on both with blow most local options out of the water.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  8. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

More Aussie retailers down the gurgler with Rhodes & Beckett and Herringbone into administration (according to the AFR). Its been a busy week.

So what do you think caused their demise - product, price, competition, all the above? ?

1 person likes this.
  9. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

Some herringbone stuff I liked the material and construction but fit was way off for me. And I only buy on promotion. Never retail.

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Van Faack never really knew what to do with it when they bought it off administrators.

And apparently leases...

"It got to the point where one can only put in so much money to continue - there are some stores with quite onerous leases and there are some underperforming stores we will keep, the jewels in the crown," Mr Secatore said.

11. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Definitely a combination of things but i'd say the thing that hurt them most was a lack of vision and unwillingness to diversify. In the end both brands basically offered the same bare minimum staples at the same high price point.

You also have the trend of more casual work place dressing eroding away demand for your products, at the same time you have MJ Bale competing at a lower price point, offering subjective better value with 2 for 1k etc and on the upper front local MTM offering a better outcome at similar prices.

1 person likes this.
  12. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

High costs and a challenging sales environment are not a good combination in business. But its an interesting point about the casualisation of workplace clothing. I have always thought that tie sales would be particularly challenging nowadays.

13. crappbag

crappbag Senior member

Not sure about vintage watch dealers in aus. I know of vintagewatchco who are reputable operating out of Sydney and Brisbane.

I've also previously bought from watchtrader, watchcollector (both based out of Melbourne) and clockmaker in Sydney. All of whom occasionally have vintage pieces.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

thebrownman

Don't know what there like

The Vintage Watch Co
    Shop 28 Strand Arcade
    Sydney
    9221 3373

1 person likes this.
  15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Here's another article, this time from the Brisbane Times:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/bus...kett-join-retail-carnage-20170207-gu7gow.html

I agree that a lack of vision and unwillingness to diversify hurt them the most, at least in my eyes. Herringbone used to have some really fantastic stuff but over the past 3-4 years, Van Laack essentially leached it of quality and colour until it became almost identical to its slightly cheaper stablemate, Rhodes & Beckett. I haven't even seen anything that I would want to buy from Herringbone for the past few years and the last thing I bought there was a pair of socks on sale!

I also agree that MJ Bale - ironically started by one of the former founders of Herringbone - beat both Herringbone and R&B at their own game and he did it by going back to at least some of Herringbone's old Japanese manufacturers.

I think that, although the casualisation of workwear has definitely played a part in the diminishing number of good menswear stores, the peak of casual dress seems to have been some years back. When I think back to 2004 or 2005, most of my colleagues wore truly awful Colorado bluchers, Doc Martens or those truly awful shoes with the twin seams running down to slightly upturned, narrow toes, along with baggy cotton or polyester trousers and a poly-cotton blend shirt or a polo shirt. Nowadays, in contrast, I see a lot of men wearing decent shirts, trousers and shoes to work. In some ways, the clothes are now a bit too tight-fitting instead of too baggy, as they used to be, but I think that quite a few men pay more attention to how they dress in comparison to 10-15 years ago.

1 person likes this.
  16. d4g6k11

d4g6k11 Active Member

I've just been through a wardrobe revamp of sorts and had to do it on the cheap.

Shoes - I bought a couple of pairs of clarks shoes on a 50% off sale while I did my research on goodyearwelt options. I think they may actually last me the year. I know the forum sponsor skoaktiebolaget made it onto my shortlist.

Shirts - I got a shirts from Bale, lewin, and sherman just to get my size so I could hit up their online sales when they come around. Charles Tyrwhitt also has rolling sales. There are other brands of a better quality but they are beyond my budget. Jeanswest online outlet has some VERY cheap long sleeve shirts that helped fill out the wardrobe in the short term (I can feel some other forum readers cringing as they read this line :) )

Hope this was helpful?

17. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Agree JM.

Not sure if more men are paying more attention or rather the general quality / style of clothing has intrinsically improved.

For example, cheap 100% cotton shirts are abound these days, in general the cut of clothes in most brands are now slimmer or they have classic/modern options. Even on the shoe front, Floresheim and Aquila have dialled back their pointy toe range for more rounded out styles.

Could be a chicken and egg sort of thing, but im just not convinced that enough are paying attention to spurn change, think its mainly been forced on them by the styles in trend. That said, no doubt instaglam has made some more aware etc.

18. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Hey guys, recently settled into Canberra - apart from the illustrious and excellent Geoff would anyone be keen for meeting up after work one day? I'm in Kingston so anywhere central is fine for me.

19. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Meetup at moosheads.

20. meister

meister Senior member

When they dropped C&J shoes I thought they were on the way out.