1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. nelsypants

nelsypants Active Member

He's been charging me $5 for taps and $35 for Topy, but I've been bringing him a fair bit of business with my ever expanding shoe portfolio. Going rate is $45 for the Topy I believe. Turnover is pretty good, anywhere from 3-4 days to a week - depends on how busy they get.

1 person likes this.
  2. nelsypants

nelsypants Active Member

Any Melbourne get togethers in the pipeline? I've bought and sold a handful of things on SF but yet to meet anyone in the flesh.

3. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Thanks Nelsy, about what I was expecting so all good.

4. conqueror

conqueror Senior member

my girlfriend wanted a topy applied to some weird feminine brogue things she has and the mister minit near us (suburban canberra) said it'd be $70. what a joke.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Try Manuka Cobbler in Fyshwick. Does excellent work.

1 person likes this.
  6. sliq

sliq Senior member

7. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

Thanks GF - my regular cobbler JP Shoe Repair on City Walk (corner of Akuna St) looks like it may be closed as the building is being redeveloped into apartments. A shame as he was a lovely old bloke and had what looked to be a goodyear welting machine in the corner gathering dust.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Great chair. Colour me jealous. I have a Mirra, it's really great.

+1 for Rekaris. Had about 6-7 shoes done there. $35 for topy, with a rough turn around time of a week. Stephen is really great.

9. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Can vouch for Rekaris too - they have been great for resoling and reheeling for me. Usually pretty quick and well priced too.

I would be up for a Melbourne catch up in the new year if someone wants to organise (as long as that Garry Nelson guy is not invited - always makes the rest of us look bad).

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

11. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Best place in Sydney to have a suit cleaned and pressed (ideally a sponge and press)?

I've given up on Canberra - the last place I went to, supposedly a 'boutique' dry cleaner specializing in wedding dresses and high-end garments, managed to chip 6 MoP buttons on a sports jacket, put a nice big crease right in the middle of each lapel, and caused substantial fraying in several places.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  12. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

Kingston Foreshore, by any chance? If so it's a shame to hear that as they've always done a good job on my stuff.

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Sat on one once it was heaven.

It's currently at her dad's office so I'll have to pick it up after Xmas. Hopefully it's the right size.

Given that my office chair at work is a POS I'll probably swap it for mine (that said, I'm looking to jump ship again).

14. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Yup, Top Cat - just awful. They also permanently marked my gf's Burberry Trench with no apology or compensation.

15. The Ernesto

Sounds like they have some sort of checklist.

2 people like this.
  16. fxh

fxh Senior member

RFA
    This is way below my usual punching division but..

Any good stores in Melb that have a decent range of models of sneakers, mens & womens, like Vans & Superga?

er um - asking for a friend who is too shy......

17. The Ernesto

18. Geoffrey Firmin

Interesting I normally use Bells in Fyshwick did use Top Cat last year and they did a good job. Except they were insanely overpriced.

On the way to the gym this morning I noticed this iGent wearing ultra loud bright orange and black sneakers. "Excuse me are they Converse?" "Yes"

Indeed we do live in interesting times.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  19. Geoffrey Firmin

I bought one on sale when we moved abodes in July 15. Best investment and a tax write off at the time.

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

We have Mirra chairs in the office where I'm currently working.

They are fantastic, and an utterly colossal step up in seating comfort and quality from the old, bog-standard office chairs in my old office.

I might be moving back to the old office in six months' time - I don't know if I'll be able to go back to using the old chairs. For one thing, my back might not stand it!