• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic with shoes and cuffs. I think the flare is a bit too much for present day and a straighter leg would look better. These suits are by Italian Carlo Palazzi - 1975

edit: Like a lot of other terms today "straight leg" has been a bit bastardised - esp in jeans. I think what you are after might be best termed Parallel Legs

Last edited:

akclothpooper

Reaction score
I don't really dress very CM most days and some 'actual flare' sounds like it might be fun, I already have some op shop trousers hanging around so I'll definitely give some a try.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't really dress very CM most days and some 'actual flare' sounds like it might be fun, I already have some op shop trousers hanging around so I'll definitely give some a try.
As your trousers get wider/looser you need to use heavier material (suiting) for them to hang right. Other wise you can get a bit of a funny* look. Unless you are going for a casual white linen or cotton summer trousers.

*technical term

Also - if you are going for a wider "actual flare" as opposed to say a boot cut then you'll need military cuffs otherwise you'll be dragging in the dirt at the rear or swinging high water above you shoes - neither a good look with wide trousers. OTOH you could just try some boot cut jeans to get a feel for the whole thing. You should be able to get flares at some men's vintage shops

edit: depending what you are interested in - its worthwhile doing a search of images from labelking and barims from a while back on SF both of who (whom?) could pull off a 70s style well albeit in different ways.

SVB posted a pic of him in a beige style suit with wide trousers a week or so ago I thought worked without looking ironic or like he was going to a 70s party.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't speak for the scarves, but the jackets at Changi airport started at $15,000.

Motherf....
wow.gif

I've looked at Loro Piana clothing in Japan previously, but never really paid attention to their prices. I didn't realise that they were asking such stratospheric amounts.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Motherf.... :wow:

I've looked at Loro Piana clothing in Japan previously, but never really paid attention to their prices. I didn't realise that they were asking such stratospheric amounts. 

I have been to few LP stores in various airports. Prices super crazy. Cashmere sweaters were between $1-1.2K aud. storm systems jackets were around $15k. Sports coats starts at $6k . I did love their business shirts. Incredibly soft fabric (words can't explain how soft it feels to touch). $999-$1200aud. Scarves were $800. Again softness on these is nothing I had ever experienced.Makes me realise how empty my wallet is.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Motherf.... :wow:

Lol, indeed! Even the outlet prices in Paris made my eyes water. But hope springs eternal- the little birdie at the store tells me prices are better in Italian outlets.

And on that score, lets not get started with Brunello Cuccinelli's prices.....

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lol, indeed! Even the outlet prices in Paris made my eyes water. But hope springs eternal- the little birdie at the store tells me prices are better in Italian outlets.

And on that score, lets not get started with Brunello Cuccinelli's prices.....
Not really - I went to an outlet and the prices were about 10-15% cheaper than Italian retail

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to do my annual wardrobe review:

Business wear
- Navy suit (MJB)
- Grey suit (MJB)
- Charcoal suit (MJB)
- Ties (TM Lewin/HC)
- Shirts (white + blue) (CT)
- Black Craftsman (RMWs)

Business Casual
- Blazer (SS)
- OCBDs (blue + white) (SS)
- Merino v-neck sweater (navy) (Uniqlo)
- Brown Craftsman (RMWs)
- Suede chukkas (RMWs)

Casual
- Barbour Bristol (olive)
- Crewneck sweater (grey) (Uniqlo)
- Tees (white + grey) (Uniqlo)
- Blue jeans (Uniqlo)
- Chinos (khaki) (Uniqlo)
- Chino shorts (khaki) (H&M)
- Havaianas (brown)

Accessories
- Filson 257 (tan)
- Filson medium duffle (olive)
- Belts (RMWs)
- Ray-Ban Aviators
- Ray-Ban Clubmasters (optical)
- White PS (HC)
- Silver knot cufflinks (KW)
- Tissot Visodate

No real plans to get anything new this year, just rotate out any shirts yellowing in the pits.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Motherf....
wow.gif

Goes with the $50,000 1945 Mouton-Rothschild of which there are two bottles available next door.

They know their target demo...

akclothpooper

Reaction score
@fxh that exact SVB suit is what I mean when I say YSL suut trousers, If I remember correctly that is a thrifted YSL suit. Also seen Barims but not labelking; thanks for all the help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads