1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. jrb666

jrb666 Senior member

I have been hit with charges (both GST and duty) when receiving goods by international courier.

However, I have never been hit when receiving goods via post.

That is not to say that it won't happen one day.

However, as there appears to be a lesser likelihood, whenever I have the choice, I have goods shipped by post.

Some might say there is a greater risk with shipping by post, but I have never had a problem.

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Never had a problem with post. It's just fucking slow.

3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Whatever happened to Suit Supply landing in Oz I wonder.

1 person likes this.
  4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Australia Post took my Postman's motorbike off him and put him on a push bike.

Remind me what century are we living in?

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

There are no customs duties in Australia.
    Any single order over $1,000 is subject to GST(VAT) of 10%. Under $1,000 GST does not apply.
    DHL or Post is just a matter of what is cheaper from your end.

6. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

If its over $1k, how is GST collected? Does it get picked up at Customs when sent through Aust Post, then you receive a bill before the item is released? Anyone know the process?

7. Wowee Zowee

Wowee Zowee Active Member

Since when was there no duty - you pay gst and duty on imports.
    You get a notice and told to pay before the goods are delivered/picked up.

8. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have heard only good comments from our Australian customers about very limited taxation on imports:

Section II - Import Duty / Import GST / Import Tax and Customs Charges
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    1) Which goods are subject to Customs Import Duty/GST?

You will be charged Import Duty/GST if your goods meet EITHER of the following:

a) Have a value over AUD $1,000; OR
    b) Contain Alcohol or Tobacco of any quantity or value.

If your goods are valued UNDER AUD$1,000 and DO NOT contain Alcohol or Tobacco then you will not be required to pay any Customs Import Duty/GST or associated Customs charges.

2 people like this.
  9. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

As I'm sure you know the value of the item (and the shipping) is declared by the sender. When an item $1000+ arrives the 15% is calculated base don the combined value of the item and the shipping plus a $50 processing fee (at least that's how it happened last I bought something of that value)

You receive a letter that your item is being held at customs, with a bill attached.

You pay that, then when they have received the money they send the item.

IME it adds 5-10 days to the delivery time of the item.

1 person likes this.
  10. hens

hens Active Member

They are on their way, just trying to find locations in various capital cities etc.

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

As LM mentioned, if you import an item over $1000 in value, particularly if it comes to Australia via a courier rather than by a national postal organisation such as Royal Mail or the US Postal Service, then you'll most likely be hit with GST and duties of 15% (10% GST and 5% duties), based on the combined value of the item and the shipping cost.

The processing can vary - some of the fees charged by courier companies can be pretty steep.

As an aside, the 5% duty amount is levied on most footwear with the strange exception of ski boots (as long as they are not over the knee!) and diving boots. Perhaps we've never made ski boots or diving boots in Australia?

Similarly, clothing attracts a duty of 5%. Interestingly, it was 10% prior to 01 January 2015, when it reduced to 5%.

1 person likes this.
  12. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

FWIW the import duty is supposed to be waived on US goods, but I've never had any luck with that. Even when I bought a guitar made, by hand, in a US shop by one dude.

Which perhaps mean that I don't really understand the free trade agreements, but hey, I can live with that.

13. jlasya

jlasya Member

To get the duty waived you will need to have a certificate of origin which you hand into customs or whoever is doing the clearance of your goods

14. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

So what are the payable duties on an imported Somali village?

And these cost $$ - so not worth it unless you are importing in bulk.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  15. The Ernesto

Thanks for this. Will be interesting to see how they go and what, if any, impact they have on the locals (HB and MJB).

16. The Ernesto

All this import and duty stuff must be a major pain for people having to factor it in to expensive purchases.

1 person likes this.
  17. The Ernesto

Thanks for stopping by, Dave. Hope business is going well.

18. Bravo Sierra

Bravo Sierra Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just thought I'd chime in on the subject of import duties and my experience.

I recently had a pair of boots (a beautiful piece of work by an artisan - Alessandro Stella) delivered from Siena, Italy by FedEx. The item arrived within a week of the courier picking it up from the studio.

It arrived into the FedEx holding facility whereupon I received a phone call advising that import duties and GST was payable. The package was released once I had paid the exorbitant ~$230 fee calculated on the combined value of the item and shipping.

Lesson learned: ask said sender to declare a lower value to avoid import duties, or sit in the country long enough to bring them back with me in my suitcase.

B.

1 person likes this.
  19. deingesicht

deingesicht Senior member

Gents,

I need your help. I purchased 2 pairs of shoes last week, but other expenses (cough *Lego*) have come up and I need to part with one of the pairs. Either would be used for work and would fit in my rotation of ~12 work shoes. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Trickers despite not have a burgundy (I would need to buy a new belt for these shoes)

The longwings are the Trickers (Chestnut) and the Carmina's are the burgundy. Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. sliq

sliq Senior member

Without knowing how many casual dress shoes you have, I would say to send back the carminas (despite me liking them more). 12 work shoes in the rotation is plenty. it comes down to which one will get more wear AND fills the bigger void.