• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was an expat Westerner living in Shanghai, I used to ponder upon how our community might appear in the eyes of locals:

- most of us didn't bother trying to learn the language properly;
- we congregated together in ghettos;
- many of us insisted on eating only our own rather disgusting ethnic food (steaks, burgers etc);
- the younger men would go out on the town in large groups, get drunk, often behave boorishly and occasionally violently;
- it was well known that most of us were "back home losers" sponging off China's vibrant economy;
- we stole their women...occasionally even ****** them;
- we loudly called for China to adopt our own legal and political systems;

...and so on.

Any self-respecting Chinese would have been quietly thinking "just go back home to where you came from, filthy foreigner".

10/10 post!

Love working with refugees. The most heartbreaking moment in my life was having to take a 12 year old aside to a meeting where he was told his mother was killed in a terrorist attack in Quetta.

No need for snobbery and elitism when facing tragedy, I think.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure I bought a pair of zippered boots from Rocco when I was about 14.

I also commissioned a pair of bespoke winklepickers with side lace-ups from some guy in Smith St (or was it Brunswick St?) back in the 80s. Pretty sure it wasn't Rocco. Any of you other old-timers know who it might have been?
Not that I'm an old timer but I had a pair of custom/bespoke ankle boots made by a guy in Smith street years ago. Still got them.
Last I looked the shop was still here but run by his son and only doing repairs.
I was working around there a while back and I took them in one day to show the son - his old man was down the back - clearly not well with memory - I told the son I had the boots with me and would he or the old man like to see them - after all these years?. He said "No"

I and Ms fxh also had motor bike OTC calf zipup/studs boots made out of beautiful leather by the guy who used to work in Gertrude Street - near the old VD Clinic.

Roccos went down hill after he left his big fat dopey son to take over. He had no interest in people or shoes from what I could see.
I'm reliably informed by the blokes who I know who know these things that any good shoes and leather from Roccos was gone by halfway through the first day of sale.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I was an expat Westerner living in Shanghai, I used to ponder upon how our community might appear in the eyes of locals:

- most of us didn't bother trying to learn the language properly;
- we congregated together in ghettos;
- many of us insisted on eating only our own rather disgusting ethnic food (steaks, burgers etc);
- the younger men would go out on the town in large groups, get drunk, often behave boorishly and occasionally violently;
- it was well known that most of us were "back home losers" sponging off China's vibrant economy;
- we stole their women...occasionally even ****** them;
- we loudly called for China to adopt our own legal and political systems;

...and so on.

Any self-respecting Chinese would have been quietly thinking "just go back home to where you came from, filthy foreigner".
In Beijing I had a well meaning *********** patiently explain to me how Chinese were more advanced than Westerners like me - 'cos were were more hairy and closer to monkeys.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Beijing I had a well meaning *********** patiently explain to me how Chinese were more advanced than Westerners like me - 'cos were were more hairy and closer to monkeys.

To which of course you responded, "...but gorillas have tiny penises."

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That guy needs to know that atavism went out of style in the 1800s.

/artswanker

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those interested in grabbing a great deal on some Kimber and Eidos X Kimber products - jump onto http://christiankimber.com/collections/passport-sale and use the code "PASSPORTSALE" for 40% off - before this goes public next week. Products highly recommended by me and many others here. Plus Christian is a great guy, as many here will attest.

My advice - do not miss this.

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those interested in grabbing a great deal on some Kimber and Eidos X Kimber products - jump onto http://christiankimber.com/collections/passport-sale and use the code "PASSPORTSALE" for 40% off - before this goes public next week. Products highly recommended by me and many others here. Plus Christian is a great guy, as many here will attest.

My advice - do not miss this.

Do you work for Christian?

Those field jackets went fast..

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smeggett

Reaction score
Gents, a while back (as in a few weeks) I was soliciting thoughts on the relative merits of Luxire and other MTM shirting options. Well, I wanted to provide some feedback on that front.

Whilst walking through Adelaide the other week, I (again) walked past the www.begyourpardon.com.au shopfront and thought to myself ' why not give the locals a try?' - so I did.

Long story short, the service was impeccable and I walked out with some OTR shirts which fit exceptionally well (albeit with some minor mods, being darts in the back). I liked the fact that I walked in thinking I wanted an MTM solution, but after some consultation and review of options the owner was able to talk me down to an OTR option, rather than indulging me in a much higher price point. No complaints here on the service provided - the place is certainly worth a look in for Adelaide peeps.

smeggett

Reaction score
Should have mentioned the shirts are needed for a new job. And as I have a new job, I want to get me a brief case for carrying lunch and maybe some relevant paperwork and a MS Surface tablet computer thingy about.

I like the look of the Filson stuff (particularly the Otter Green 256 briefcase - which can be had from here for ~$390 delivered). Again, just wondering if there are any other options worth considering at that kind of price point? The Missus mentioned Fossil bags, however I'm guessing for leather at a similar price point the quality will be somewhat lacking?

Is there any who might care to share their experiences of either or other options?

Cheers!

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should have mentioned the shirts are needed for a new job. And as I have a new job, I want to get me a brief case for carrying lunch and maybe some relevant paperwork and a MS Surface tablet computer thingy about.

I like the look of the Filson stuff (particularly the Otter Green 256 briefcase - which can be had from here for ~$390 delivered). Again, just wondering if there are any other options worth considering at that kind of price point? The Missus mentioned Fossil bags, however I'm guessing for leather at a similar price point the quality will be somewhat lacking?

Is there any who might care to share their experiences of either or other options?

Cheers!

I posted on briefcases recently. The Filson is a solid choice. If you are thinking of getting something all leather, and you plan to use it for a long time, then get something lined in suede instead of fabric/textile, because once the fabric tears, it is difficult to repair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads