Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

2. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

10/10 post!

Love working with refugees. The most heartbreaking moment in my life was having to take a 12 year old aside to a meeting where he was told his mother was killed in a terrorist attack in Quetta.

No need for snobbery and elitism when facing tragedy, I think.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

Not that I'm an old timer but I had a pair of custom/bespoke ankle boots made by a guy in Smith street years ago. Still got them.
    Last I looked the shop was still here but run by his son and only doing repairs.
    I was working around there a while back and I took them in one day to show the son - his old man was down the back - clearly not well with memory - I told the son I had the boots with me and would he or the old man like to see them - after all these years?. He said "No"

I and Ms fxh also had motor bike OTC calf zipup/studs boots made out of beautiful leather by the guy who used to work in Gertrude Street - near the old VD Clinic.

Roccos went down hill after he left his big fat dopey son to take over. He had no interest in people or shoes from what I could see.
    I'm reliably informed by the blokes who I know who know these things that any good shoes and leather from Roccos was gone by halfway through the first day of sale.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

In Beijing I had a well meaning Chinese guy patiently explain to me how Chinese were more advanced than Westerners like me - 'cos were were more hairy and closer to monkeys.

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

To which of course you responded, "...but gorillas have tiny penises."

6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

That guy needs to know that atavism went out of style in the 1800s.

/artswanker

7. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

For those interested in grabbing a great deal on some Kimber and Eidos X Kimber products - jump onto http://christiankimber.com/collections/passport-sale and use the code "PASSPORTSALE" for 40% off - before this goes public next week. Products highly recommended by me and many others here. Plus Christian is a great guy, as many here will attest.

My advice - do not miss this.

[​IMG]

8. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Do you work for Christian?

Those field jackets went fast..

9. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

My second favourite Rocco.

10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I bought one of them a couple of months ago. Great jacket.

11. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

I was thinking of buying one this afternoon, checked back a few hours later and...all gone

12. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Gents, a while back (as in a few weeks) I was soliciting thoughts on the relative merits of Luxire and other MTM shirting options. Well, I wanted to provide some feedback on that front.

Whilst walking through Adelaide the other week, I (again) walked past the www.begyourpardon.com.au shopfront and thought to myself ' why not give the locals a try?' - so I did.

Long story short, the service was impeccable and I walked out with some OTR shirts which fit exceptionally well (albeit with some minor mods, being darts in the back). I liked the fact that I walked in thinking I wanted an MTM solution, but after some consultation and review of options the owner was able to talk me down to an OTR option, rather than indulging me in a much higher price point. No complaints here on the service provided - the place is certainly worth a look in for Adelaide peeps.

13. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Should have mentioned the shirts are needed for a new job. And as I have a new job, I want to get me a brief case for carrying lunch and maybe some relevant paperwork and a MS Surface tablet computer thingy about.

I like the look of the Filson stuff (particularly the Otter Green 256 briefcase - which can be had from here for ~$390 delivered). Again, just wondering if there are any other options worth considering at that kind of price point? The Missus mentioned Fossil bags, however I'm guessing for leather at a similar price point the quality will be somewhat lacking?

Is there any who might care to share their experiences of either or other options?

Cheers!

14. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I posted on briefcases recently. The Filson is a solid choice. If you are thinking of getting something all leather, and you plan to use it for a long time, then get something lined in suede instead of fabric/textile, because once the fabric tears, it is difficult to repair.

15. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Owning a Filson is almost a rite of passage for SF members.