Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Another 20 cents worth. When I did my Masters I did an internship at the NMA. The curators their valued the wear and tear and scarification of an object over time as it provided clues to the objects narrative and journey. These become the narrative speach of an object as it circulates through the commodity market, community and also offers insight into the individuals it encountered on its journey. Its manufacture, individual ownership, where it was repaired how many times it was exchanged. The provenance speaks volumes about an object and its inscription tells the tale of its circulation as both a commodity with a monetary value and item of cultural exchange.

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

No but you can always catch the train out to Cabramatta.

3. Dairy Phobic

Dairy Phobic Senior member

Well shit, but I will be walking distance to school if I live in Lidcombe.

safety or convenience, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The thing is, many people online say Lidcombe is actually relatively safe, or they have a strong negative reaction to it? I google mapped the place, it doesn't look like the richest area, but it doesn't look like the hood either.

And I said sydney winter sounds brutal because even though Canada is cold, central heating keeps indoors of all buildings at a toasty 21-23 celsius. I heard it can dip into single digits in sydney at nights in the winter because houses were built for summer. Good to hear it's not the case though

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016

4. crappbag

crappbag Senior member

Honestly, you will be fine in Lidcombe. It's basically suburbia with a high ethnic mix (chinese, vietnamese, lebanese, turkish).

It's not the nicest area (compared to North or Eastern suburbs) but it's definitely not 'hood' either (e.g. Mt Druitt).

5. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Aren't you from Newcastle?

6. JayH

JayH Senior member

/flamesuit on.
    After reading all the positive views on Rolex owners you guys have further convinced me that getting a submariner is the right move for a 20som
    ething guy that spends most Thursdays and Fridays at Establishment and Ryan’s Bar.
    What are the thoughts on second hand vs new? Where would you suggest the best place to purchase in Sydney, I don’t see myself going overseas anytime soon.

7. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Summer Hill.

8. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Wherever the most people can see you walking in and out. Also, make sure the store has a unique hashtag.

9. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Auburn stinks. Lots of crimes and overall just dirty. Lots of refugees from countries you and I would never visit.
    There are different points of views - But I don't feel enthusiastic every morning going to work knowing big chunk of my hard earned cash is going to support these people and their families. And at the end of the day these people are always making it hard for the tax payers and their families. I hope my comments don't upset anyone.

10. JayH

JayH Senior member

11. Prince of Paisley

Yeah, too right, all those refugees clogging up the M4 and pushing up house prices!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016

12. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

13. Prince of Paisley

Plus if you're Canadian they have an ice hockey exhibition game at Olympic Park next to Lidcombe every year.

And what you've heard about the lack of central heating is true - those old weatherboards have zero insulation and it does get nippy there in winter though not Canberra or Winnipeg cold.

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I have Canadian friends and they complain about how cold Australian houses are in winter. It's a great opportunity to tease them about how soft they've become since they moved to Australia.

15. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Whenever I've bought antique cufflinks, the dealers have always advised me not to polish them, for this reason