1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Hey Everyone!

Just started lurking around these forums again for the first time in a year or so. It's great to see so many familiar faces still keeping the Aussie SF community strong.

Not sure if it's been covered here, I know there aren't to many South Aussies about, but I was saddened to note that the Sam of Jaunty Shoe Shine at Adelaide Arcade vanished a couple of months ago and now his chairs have followed suit. Anyone heard anything about him? Has he moved or moved on?

I got a pass from Mrs Ovlov to pick up a new suit so I'm back looking for some more help.
    Unless someone can recommend a good mtm service in Adelaide I think I'll try and arrange a fitting with Suit Shop, Oscar Hunt or the like, when I'm next in the big smoke. Can anyone advise whether Suit Shop's quoted 'sweet spot' for suit pricing (now $1k) is actually the average price for a suit or the cheapest possible price? If so that seems a pretty hefty price jump since my last commission when they first set up shop. Anyone able to comment on what kinds of books are available at the cheaper end of the spectrum? Ditto for Oscar Hunt?

2. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Nothing a good stout won't fix mate...

A large construction firm went into liquidation owing millions... I'm way way down that list but raising a family it ain't a grand thing when you lose $$$

World conditions are a lot worse so just have to suck it up and roll on...

3. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

It's a kick in the head, what can you do?

How's your place coming along?

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

My son's pup has secured coal seam gas exploration rights for the back yard.

Still looking for the right linoleum for the kitchen/dining room.

Couple of VERY tasty stouts and a hand pumped porter at Bent Spoke at present.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Lino? That's very retro, GF!

Or should I say - you're going to put Lino on your floor?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  6. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Things that are good about Parramatta:
    1. The Builder and Baker Cafe
    2. Bourke Street Bakery
    3. Circa Expresso
    4. The District Court
    5. Uniqlo
    6. An always empty MJ Bale

1 person likes this.
  7. sliq

sliq Senior member

Oli let me know if you're in Parra - my office is based there. We'll catch up for a coffee.

8. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Hi @ovlov - for Adelaide have a look at Beg Your Pardon in Union St in the East End. I bought some shirts from Michael there early this year. Good service and he does MTM suiting and knows his craft well. I can't comment on the suiting, but I reckon he's worth a visit to check out.

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Don't think he would match Mrs GF overall colour scheme.

1 person likes this.
  10. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

@ovlov Ive never really had much joy in Adelaide with suits. The bigsmoke is a better option.

Ive recently had some small alterations done at John K Tailor on Magill Rd. All the right questions were asked, and good result. Definitely an old skool style tailor (who will retire soon, he says). They also do MTM with a range of fabrics. I was considering a jacket. But with a quick look through their fabric books nothing really grabbed me. Their jackets arent canvassed, but that was probably reflected in the price.

I would be keen to hear if you do get anything made in Adelaide. It would be good to have some more options.

2 people like this.
  11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

He'd talk her round, bello.

12. crdb

crdb Senior member

Hawes & Curtis UK shirts have arrived:

[​IMG]

Luckily the inside was fine, the shirts are tightly packed.

Quality-wise this is not quite like my Harvie & Hudsons, but it's sufficient as a "beater" white/sky blue shirt at $40/shirt inc. shipping to wear in the tropics where shirts don't last long anyway, and definitely beats Uniqlo which is where the price is. 80% of H&H for 40% of the cost is fine by me.

The poplin looks better than TM Lewin's although still with a paper-y feel, the collar is quite stiff which I'm not a fan of, same with the French cuffs. Tailored fit was a bit baggy for a "slim" fit. Sleeve length was the same for all three shirts but the one with button cuffs feels like it has shorter sleeves.

13. The Ernesto

I'm really over paper thin poplin.

14. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Every damn day.

My lunch is between 1pm and 2pm which I take religiously.

15. The Ernesto

You scarify a goat?

1 person likes this.
  16. crdb

crdb Senior member

Not thickness, bending stiffness.

17. The Ernesto

Too stiff?

I'm still over paper thin poplin.

18. crdb

crdb Senior member

Yeah. Feels a bit like bending paper or a newspaper. A high quality poplin - see through or not - should be soft to the touch whilst retaining a sharp look. If anything I think this one is too thick, either that or the cotton has too short fibre making it stiffer than a higher grade cotton. We'll see after 3-4 washes, if it's fibre length it will pill.

19. The Ernesto

Interesting. Maybe they have coated it in something to keep water, dust etc off and that's affecting it. Washing will be the test I suppose.

I search, usually in vain, for really fine (almost unnoticeable) twill white shirts. Soft and a bit more robust than poplin.

20. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Thanks for the advice guys. I contacted Beg Your Pardon. They sounded very friendly and knowledgeable but a bit out of my price range. It sounded like a similar service and experience to Suit Shop, Oscar Hunt et al except there seems to be an additional premium added for being South Australian :(

I haven't tried John K yet but I might give him a call.

Another interesting development. I went past a place on Torrens Rd advertising made to measure suits, I stopped in to ask a few Qs and found that oddly enough their 'made to measure' sounds ore like bespoke. I was shown a half made jacket still open to reveal the canvas. Thanh, the tailor, explained that the suit is made entirely in house with measurements taken, followed by 2 fittings during the course of construction and a 3rd final fitting plus adjustments on completion. Quote for this was $1200 with 2 pairs of trousers in the house fabric, or $1850 with H & S plus a few other options in between, though he admitted they did not keep a very wide range. Turnaround is about 4 weeks from start to finish.

This sounds a bit too good to be true. I haven't really heard/read anything about bespoke suiting on the cheap. I thought it was all accomplished tailors who would do a much better job fitting than any MTM outfit but at eye watering prices. Is 'cheap bespoke' a thing? any input, suggestions, caveats from the crowd?

1 person likes this.