• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aussie members - Dress Shirts?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
AEs can be found at Peter Sheppard's if they have a Sydney outlet. The best thing is to go in there, get a clear idea of your size, then go buy on the net.

Only some small sizes left and mainly Delrays but AUD199 is the price

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
AEs can be found at Peter Sheppard's if they have a Sydney outlet. The best thing is to go in there, get a clear idea of your size, then go buy on the net.

Only some small sizes left and mainly Delrays but AUD199 is the price.

By the way Voi has reopened in the old fur shop on Castlereagh and King and they have a selection of ex catwalk Pradas but mainly corrected grain...I even saw corrected grain on a pair of de Tomassos in Xile on Martin Place. The best shoe deal I saw was 50% off on Bally handmades on Pitt St Mall around AUD650 on sale for double sole bespoke quality... three designs.. a bit gunboatish but not vintage florsheim style..

in_motion

Reaction score
I'm surprised there's been no mention of YD and Tarocash in this thread
Whats the general opinions on their shirts?
I admit to owning about a ten from them, mostly black or dark colours that i really love as they seem to cater to smaller guys like me with really nice casual designs, perfect untucked with dressy jeans.
Just stay away from the really weird designs, you know the ones with "fashionable" creases, over the top picture and pattern stitching and random paint splashes.
They average about $80 and up in price, and older designs are < $50, worth the money for me

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in_motion
I'm surprised there's been no mention of YD and Tarocash in this thread
Whats the general opinions on their shirts?
\\

In short that's because they aren't any good.

I mean Im sure the aforementioned brands offer some passable shirts, but when you compare it to what's available everywhere else it doesnt make much sense.

If you're paying $50 to $80 for a shirt I would buy online or on ebay. You can probably get a shirt that is better made, lasts longer, looks better and is not made with polyester in it.

If you have objections to buying off the net, you could buy something from Myer at sale time. I think their house brands would be a better make than the likes brands you mentioned.

If I were you I would stop wasting money for now on YD and Tarocash and hang around on this forum to get an idea of the brands represent good value for money, then progressively replace these shirts with your new acquisitions.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harrolds represents a Greek (owner's nationality) idea of how Italians dress, so they largely select the tackiest and most ostentatious of the Italian "fashion" labels, although there are some nice understated items among it all.
American Tailors is an Italian idea of how Italians dress but at an eye-popping price no Italian would ever pay. Nor should Australians these days.
Sator's advice on shirts is the best, although I am very satisfied with Jantzen's copies of my bespoke shirts, much like EGW is.
For the rest, suits and shoes, try on in high-end stores for sizing and buy on the internet. You can save up to 75 per cent.

Sharpe

Reaction score
So what about Melbourne specifically? Can nice bespoke casual shirts be found for roughly 200? And in general, what brands/places that are accessable in melbourne would you guys suggest for all sorts of clothes in general? (casual/business shirts, jeans, casual shirts, tshirts, shoes etc). Preferably even places I can go try on clothes then find the same things online for much cheaper (I don't like the risk of buying something online that I have not tried on locally)

ProphetHammer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by schanop
Sator, you rocks.

The state of the dress over here in ACT is even worse ... It's a little cold at the moment, so track pants are every where.

Oh god, it's sooooo true. Not only in the north either.

My contribution to this thread is that I've found a great little shirt maker in Noosaville that has an online store which I've recently bought four shirts from. As they are classic cut I've had to get them all altered slightly to make them slim fit but I was really impressed with their range and the quality of the poplin cotton the shirts were made of. The shirts are manufactured in Vietnam (oh, and no I don't have any affiliation with the company). Link below.

http://edwardstripe.com/product/683/shirt_index.asp

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProphetHammer
Oh god, it's sooooo true. Not only in the north either. My contribution to this thread is that I've found a great little shirt maker in Noosaville that has an online store which I've recently bought four shirts from. As they are classic cut I've had to get them all altered slightly to make them slim fit but I was really impressed with their range and the quality of the poplin cotton the shirts were made of. The shirts are manufactured in Vietnam (oh, and no I don't have any affiliation with the company). Link below. http://edwardstripe.com/product/683/shirt_index.asp
+1 on Edward Stripe particularly when stacked up against the likes of Herringbone, they are rather affordable. They offer a shirt, in The English style, with Mother-of-pearl buttons, split yoke, and generally french cuffs. You can also chose if you want a breast pocket or not. They quite often have limited sales where shirts are offered as low as $39.00. Thats the best time to buy them.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Unfotunately, I have found that Edward Stripe although they make a good shirt, they offer really weird sleeve lengths such that it is almost inevitable that you will have to pay for the sleeves to be altered unless you have weird anatomical proportions.
- agreed
- what also makes me laugh is when you get operators like ES who try & pass of as if they are Thomas Pink (not that TP is any good either trying to use the English heritage etc).. Even there branding is very similar..
- it makes you wonder if they realise that not oly do people travel but have access to the internet
laugh.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Unfotunately, I have found that Edward Stripe although they make a good shirt, they offer really weird sleeve lengths such that it is almost inevitable that you will have to pay for the sleeves to be altered unless you have weird anatomical proportions. I should note though that they have excellent ?stainless steel collar stays.

I have one Edward Stripe shirt, in a cloth and pattern that I really like.
As others have said, I had to pay for sleeve alteration as their sleeve size selections are quite limited.
Edward Stripe used to be carried by a couple of local menswear stores, but I haven't seen it for quite a while.
I bought my shirt direct from their website during a sale about 18 months ago. As Neyus stated above, they offer very large discounts at certain times on certain items. I would class the shirts as being pretty much as good as any of the costly Australian brands such as Herringbone, Shirt Studio, MCM, or the various other companies that charge at least $180 but still have their shirts made in Pakistan, Turkey or Egypt.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You would be better choosing the buy 3 shirt get one 1 free from Paulfredrick.com deal at the moment...IMHO

I am browned off that all the decent Aussie shirts are made OS and then they charge virtual MTM prices for a shirt that would be landed for AUD5 tops from Asia BTW...

misterjase

Reaction score
yes the prices are ridiculous, but the retailers are still doing it so people must be still buying 'em.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shirane
for those who would like bespoke shirts in melbourne, you might want to take a look at http://www.jackbootle.com.au/
Doubt they're bespoke. AFAIK they measure in Melbourne and send it off to be made in Hong Kong. From their website: "With over 250,000 design variations, 800 fabrics to choose from and 12 accurate body measurements, Jack Bootle has earned the term bespoke" - huh? Nonetheless, would be interested if anyone has tried them. They have a very, very odd catalogue / brochure which is black and white despite the captions describing the colour of the shirts being shown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics