• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Audiophile clothes

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing as how everything from solar flares to your neighbors farts can interrupt the pristine flow of electrons from your amplifier to your speakers, we must also consider the clothing we wear when in our carefully crafted listening environments.

Think about it, you have two reflective surfaces just inches away from your ears: your shoulders. A tight, worsted wool Italian suit jacket will have a stronger reflective property than a fuzzy camel hair sport coat. The materials: cotton, wool, mohair, cashmere; will all make a big difference, as will the weave and the color. Also, the different color dyes will have different audio qualities. Think about it, a plaid Harris tweed will sound a lot different than a charcoal chalk-stripe Guabello super 200s suit.

I've found that my 12oz navy blue fresco sport coat is ideal for brightening the mids and highs w/o softening the lows. It's much sharper than my burgundy cashmere jacket, which seems to mute and mush the edges of the tones. And don't even get me started on my cashmere cable-knit sweater -- it makes David Axelrod sound like Parliament/Funkadelic!

Also, I keep my sideburns trimmed for further reduced wave interference.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Unhinge Binge.
smile.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people remove their eyeglasses when listening. That can actually affect the sound.

--Andre

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet authentic tortoise-shell frames with real glass lenses would make a world of difference compared to man-made materials. I wish LabelKing would weigh in on this...

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best outfit is to be simply naked, you body hair picks up the vibrations and therefore the ideal is to be what gays refer to as a bear.
If this is not a real option for you, try Edmorels solution, a full bodysuit made out of latex, it gives minimal interference. It is almost like your body isn't there.

Optimas

Reaction score
This is a tough one; spending thousands of dollars on dampening in the room makes little sense if you as the listener destroy the acoustics once you enter the room. Luckily, fashion designers have come up with brilliant, but perhaps not particularly pretty solutions.

Martin Margiela for him:
Attachment 15518
(Actually, I'd love to have this for long-haul flights.
smile.gif
)
Comme des Garçons for her:
Attachment 15519
(I can imagine the look on my girlfriend's face if I try to convince her that she should wear this, so that Siegfried's voice feels just right ...)

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I think audiophile clothes, I have some very clear and specific visuals in my head.

First, to the gentleman who claimed that eyeglasses can affect sound, here's an audiophile who found his own solution:

geek.jpg

Here is a serious audiophile and his solution to the whole problem of vibration - the helmet is full of tiny speakers that he calls "sound amplification devices:

geek.jpg

As for clothing, here's what springs to mind. Up first, casual wear for that trip down to Radio Shack:

jason-beauty-and-the-geek-season-5.jpg

Office wear:

speak_to_a_geek(1).jpg

Finally, business casual:

istockphoto_172427_geek_series_1.jpg

Bonus pic. Here are some audiophiles suited up to do battle at the Black Friday sales at the Tweeter:

Geek-Kon_TB.jpg

Enjoy boys..

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
will the shield on the right give maximum shielding a la styrofoam cups?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger

Indeed, it will.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

Bonus pic. Here are some audiophiles suited up to do battle at the Black Friday sales at the Tweeter:

Geek-Kon_TB.jpg

Enjoy boys..

Looks like an enjoyable day at Tweeter just days before they were all laid off without notice or severance.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Geek-Kon_TB.jpg

Enjoy boys..

These types just make me giggle.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Geek-Kon_TB.jpg

I swear I could hear "Let's Fighting Love" playing when I saw that pic.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger

No, styrofoam is the only way.
smile.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jesus, a guy can't even troll afficianado threads anymore..

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I think audiophile clothes, I have some very clear and specific visuals in my head.

First, to the gentleman who claimed that eyeglasses can affect sound, here's an audiophile who found his own solution:

geek.jpg

Here is a serious audiophile and his solution to the whole problem of vibration - the helmet is full of tiny speakers that he calls "sound amplification devices:

geek.jpg

As for clothing, here's what springs to mind. Up first, casual wear for that trip down to Radio Shack:

jason-beauty-and-the-geek-season-5.jpg

Office wear:

speak_to_a_geek(1).jpg

Finally, business casual:

istockphoto_172427_geek_series_1.jpg

Geek-Kon_TB.jpg

Enjoy boys..

Jezus Christ, why did you cross-post the streetwear and denim WAYWT thread here?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads