• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Audiophile clothes

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing as how everything from solar flares to your neighbors farts can interrupt the pristine flow of electrons from your amplifier to your speakers, we must also consider the clothing we wear when in our carefully crafted listening environments.

Think about it, you have two reflective surfaces just inches away from your ears: your shoulders. A tight, worsted wool Italian suit jacket will have a stronger reflective property than a fuzzy camel hair sport coat. The materials: cotton, wool, mohair, cashmere; will all make a big difference, as will the weave and the color. Also, the different color dyes will have different audio qualities. Think about it, a plaid Harris tweed will sound a lot different than a charcoal chalk-stripe Guabello super 200s suit.

I've found that my 12oz navy blue fresco sport coat is ideal for brightening the mids and highs w/o softening the lows. It's much sharper than my burgundy cashmere jacket, which seems to mute and mush the edges of the tones. And don't even get me started on my cashmere cable-knit sweater -- it makes David Axelrod sound like Parliament/Funkadelic!

Also, I keep my sideburns trimmed for further reduced wave interference.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people remove their eyeglasses when listening. That can actually affect the sound.

--Andre

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet authentic tortoise-shell frames with real glass lenses would make a world of difference compared to man-made materials. I wish LabelKing would weigh in on this...

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best outfit is to be simply naked, you body hair picks up the vibrations and therefore the ideal is to be what gays refer to as a bear.
If this is not a real option for you, try Edmorels solution, a full bodysuit made out of latex, it gives minimal interference. It is almost like your body isn't there.

Optimas

Reaction score
This is a tough one; spending thousands of dollars on dampening in the room makes little sense if you as the listener destroy the acoustics once you enter the room. Luckily, fashion designers have come up with brilliant, but perhaps not particularly pretty solutions.

Martin Margiela for him:
Attachment 15518
(Actually, I'd love to have this for long-haul flights.
)
Comme des Garçons for her:
Attachment 15519
(I can imagine the look on my girlfriend's face if I try to convince her that she should wear this, so that Siegfried's voice feels just right ...)

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I think audiophile clothes, I have some very clear and specific visuals in my head.

First, to the gentleman who claimed that eyeglasses can affect sound, here's an audiophile who found his own solution:

Here is a serious audiophile and his solution to the whole problem of vibration - the helmet is full of tiny speakers that he calls "sound amplification devices:

As for clothing, here's what springs to mind. Up first, casual wear for that trip down to Radio Shack:

Office wear:

Finally, business casual:

Bonus pic. Here are some audiophiles suited up to do battle at the Black Friday sales at the Tweeter:

Enjoy boys..

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
will the shield on the right give maximum shielding a la styrofoam cups?

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger

Indeed, it will.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

Bonus pic. Here are some audiophiles suited up to do battle at the Black Friday sales at the Tweeter:

Enjoy boys..

Looks like an enjoyable day at Tweeter just days before they were all laid off without notice or severance.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Enjoy boys..

These types just make me giggle.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I swear I could hear "Let's Fighting Love" playing when I saw that pic.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger

No, styrofoam is the only way.

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus, a guy can't even troll afficianado threads anymore..

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I think audiophile clothes, I have some very clear and specific visuals in my head.

First, to the gentleman who claimed that eyeglasses can affect sound, here's an audiophile who found his own solution:

Here is a serious audiophile and his solution to the whole problem of vibration - the helmet is full of tiny speakers that he calls "sound amplification devices:

As for clothing, here's what springs to mind. Up first, casual wear for that trip down to Radio Shack:

Office wear:

Finally, business casual:

Enjoy boys..

Jezus Christ, why did you cross-post the streetwear and denim WAYWT thread here?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.7%
  • 31 - 40