• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Audio/Video media configuration question

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My new place has a media closet with a rolling rack and a **** ton of wires.

There are speakers built into the walls as well as a subwoofer.
There are speaker wire connections for a surround sound system - front, two sides. No rear.
There is an amp for the subwoofer on a rack in the closet.
There FIOS box built in as well as a WIFI SSID "PHB".
There is an etherent hub with 20 ethernet cables strung throughout the house and jacks in every room. Coaxial as well.

Over the fireplace are AV component jacks as well as three ethernet ports.

I have no idea what to do with all this stuff.

Will probably pick up a new Samsung TV - do they have ethernet jacks? Assuming I put a cable box, DVD player, Roku in the closet I guess I need an RF remote to control them through the door. Not sure how I can wire to the TV through one set of component cables - can I use the etherent cables for DVD and Roku? Or do I pull all the ethernet cables and snake HDMI cables through?

My stereo is a peachtree with an iphone dock and paradigm speakers. I guess I can also put that in the closet and wire to the speakers in the walls as well as the surround for TV watching, but I really like these paradigms. The subwoofer cable from the amp simply snakes up 2 metres and returns. There is no jack to connect it to the built in sub. Unless it's meant to connect to the ethernet hub.

I need a NYC media geek to configure all this. Any recommendations?

signed
hopeless in harlem

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
first question would be what type of setup are you looking for?

much of that sounds unnecessary for what you listed you have/will have.

As for Samsung's ethernet jacks, it really depends on the model. You'd need to check it out to be sure. For a media guy like yourself, I'd probably recommend a plasma over an LCD. Richer looking picture.

BTW - the best time to buy a TV is between now and the superbowl. New models are coming out, older ones are being discontinued, and there's a shitton of sales.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think nearly all of it is unnecessary as all I do is watch a little TV and listent to music. However, I do want my wires hidden. Will take some pics tomorrow.

So TV - DVD - Roku (though I guess a smart TV will have that netflix option) - Stereo.

I'm tempted to pull the three ethernet cables and the component cables and just feed four HDMI cables through that wall. Not sure how to hook up the stereo or which would be the better speaker configuration. And if I use the ethernet does that mean that I can feed a DVD or cable through to another room?

Don't love the idea of having to pick up a $300 RF remote.

I guess I could being an editor in to figure it all out.

Plasma NG as the room is awash with light from windows on three walls.

lefty

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Integrated amp. Peachtree iNova. Use a Tivoli for a radio signal.

One room setup. But there are built in speakers in the master bath and coaxial/ethernet jacks in every other room.

If I throw all components behind the door of the media closet then I believe I need a RF controller like the Harmony 900.

Would prefer not to have to open the door to change the channel. I would consider having the peachtree outside, but then have to deal with the speaker wires. As the place is prewired and being painted as we speak I want to use what is there.

lefty

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
definitely sounds like this guy had his whole house wired for sound and with a media server.

i'd need to see pics of the whole setup. you don't need an "editor" or a "media guy". so long as you only want it in one room, all you'd need is an AV tech. hell, you could even get one of the Best Buy Geek Squad guys and offer him $20 an hour to knock it out real quick.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Media server is just storage and streaming device, isn't it? Connect to the internet and download/stream. What I need is the way to integrate everything I have. A single hub that connects all. Perhaps that's what the ethernet server is.

Thanks for the help. Will take pics tomorrow.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The pics...

The TV wall.

Closer with front and right side speaker jack, power on left and component/ethernet on right. Who configures a wall like this?

Close on component/ethernet.

1.5 metres to the right of FP - two etherent/one phone jacks

Closer.

The rack and closet.

Power and preamp.

Ethernet.

More power.

Racked pulled with **** ton of wires.

Back of preamp with both ends of SW cable - there is no place to plug the free end.

More ethernet/coaxial cables heading God knows where. Green-yellow wire?

Closer.

Built in modem and router.

Large component heading to FP - no idea where all that coaxial is going.

No idea what this is. Random numbers on labels.

More ethernet and I guess phone cable. No idea what the green-yellow cable is.

SW - no idea how to connect this.

Random jack in another room - coaxial and ethernet?

Coaxial and phone? 6 phone lines?

Will probably post this on a AV tech forum, but any ideas? Am strongly considering sealing the room and getting rabbit ears.

lefty

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
holy ****. that's definitely a pro setup right there but its also the shittiest looking setup I've seen in a while. Not exactly sure what he was running there.

Ok, so basically you want to mount a TV on the black wall and your paradigms around it and the peachtree resting on top of the fireplace?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude got a custom job with all the bells and whistles and didn't think that he would one day move and sell/rent the place. It will be hard to utilize all what he had without his setup.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great, 'cause I actually need the closet space. Maybe I'll just sell some of this **** and use the existing wire routes to lay in new HDMI and power cords. Was really hoping I could hide the cable/DVD player.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, the home theatre guys were very helpful. I can use the ethernet switcher with an HDMI extender to configure. Use the PT to route everything through. The built-in speakers/sub are quite good, but I may still use the PDs for just music. Pick up a sound bar instead of using 5 surround sound speakers which I don't particularly care about.

Am toying with the idea of ripping out the built-on shelves and stone tops. Seriously pissed about the configuration of that wall. Why the hell weren't these all grouped together in the middle. Now I have to move the com/ethernet box as well as the power into the middle of the wall. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he left much slack in the wires.

lefty

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is f*cking legit.

Wonder how well the wall-mounted sub would work. Never seen that before.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The problem is that it's "too legit to quit" so I need to work with it. There may be some wall ripping to come. I just hope he laid all the cable through pvc pipes.

What's the issue with the sub?

lefty

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The problem is that it's "too legit to quit" so I need to work with it. There may be some wall ripping to come. I just hope he laid all the cable through pvc pipes.

What's the issue with the sub? 

lefty

Subs are non-directional, so I'd think that isolating a large part of the speakerbox in the wall might have some effect on its sound. I'd also worry about it rattling the walls a lot, but I suppose you could get around that.

Also, those must be some seriously deep walls to be able to bury the whole thing back in there. Most subs are a good 12-16+" deep.

I have no idea, it could work great, I've just never seen it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads