• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Audio & Apple Experts ...

Presto87

Reaction score
A question for the audio experts - I am about a week out from ordering a 24" iMac and am looking at these speakers to complement: http://www.bose.com.au/site/index.as...&t=accessories I have been quoted for these at $450AU. (a) Are these high quality speakers, given the high price? (b) Is there anything else on the market at higher quality, for this price or better? Oh and on a side note, I have spec'd out the iMac to: 24" / 2.8GHz / 4GB RAM / 500GB Hard Drive And I've been quoted for that at about $3850AU ... I believe that that is a good deal, anyone agree/disagree? And if anyone can point me in the direction of a quality mouse as an accessory I'd be much obliged. Given it ships with the Apple Mighty Mouse, which is absolutely ridiculous (I own a Powerbook G4, so I have experience using one) - I hope to purchase a separate mouse as well. A quick Internet search - came up with the Logitech MX Revolution ... which is wireless ... I am looking for a wired, lightweight, mouse with a scroll and hopefully one or two customizable buttons. Cheers guys.

Presto87

Reaction score
Oh and one more question, for those of you who own the latest iMac. How is the sound straight out of the computer (i.e. no speakers attached). I ask this because I currently use an Airport Express to play my iTunes music through my Sony Sound System (with subwoofer) ... and the above mentioned speakers would only be used for watching movies, youtube, and flash/after effects animations I create (graphic design student) - because Airport Express is only compatible with iTunes. So, is the stand alone volume sufficient for these other things, or are additional speakers actually required?

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
I think those speakers are overkill for youtube/flash and such. you can hook your computer up directly to your stere with a cable, and then utilize that to listen to music and watch movies and so forth.

personally i would not spend more than 150 USD for computer speakers.

Presto87

Reaction score
Yea I figured I could just use a standard cable to plug into both audio in/out ... but the only thing is - the proposed placement for the computer, and the current (fixed) placement of the stereo would require atleast a 2.5 meter audio cable ... which I'm afraid may effect the quality of the audio passing through it.

Presto87

Reaction score
*bump*

I take it there isn't much love for Apple here ... so, regardless - can someone atleast point me in the direction of a quality mouse???

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
get the mighty mouse from apple itself... great wireless mouse.

get some logitechs presto, you just dumped a lot of money on the computer, there honestly is not a justifiable reason to spend that much money for some speakers for youtube and online stuff.

Presto87

Reaction score
An update with regards to the speaker situation ... I did some researching last night - only to find out that if I were to use a standard audio in/out cable to connect my iMac to my Sony stereo - the "signal" would actually be ANALOG - as opposed to DIGITAL. Although the stereo is fairly new-ish (well, not OLD) - think it was purchase mid-2006 - it actually doesn't have an RCA connection (that abbreviation may be wrong, but I'm referring to the red, white, yellow connection) ... so using my stereo - although great for just music - wouldn't play movies etc. to the full "capacity". So, all that means is that - the idea of connecting my stereo is gone ... so in need of speakers. In response, Pauliodotnet I haven't purchased the iMac yet - will be heading in this Saturday to finalize the order. The thing is, I've been running in between two stores, and I am FINALLY happy with the quote I've been given on the iMac, with Apple Care (3 year warranty) and the Bose speakers. In total, it's come to $4,207AU. So when I actually do the math, when bundled, I believe I'm getting a pretty sweet deal on them. But yea, I'm not going to lie - dropping that kind of money on them does hurt. But, I see speakers as an investment, especially given Bose quality. Even though the iMac will need replacing in about 3-4 years, I know the speakers will last MUCH longer. Oh and plus, have you seen them? They are beautiful
inlove.gif
and when side-by-side with a 24" iMac
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Oh and as mentioned, given I'm in the g.design field, they will be used for "production" purposes as well - i.e. Flash, After Effects, Final Cut etc. But yea, I'm not too keen on the mighty mouse (wireless or otherwise). It will come in the box, but I'm going to be keeping it in there - the whole one-button really pisses me off.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
get the mighty mouse from apple itself... great wireless mouse.

I really don't like the Mighty Mouse. It's what I call a drunk mouse (similar to any mouse on an HP laptop). There is some sort of delay going on that can't be fixed with any configuration change that I know about. The little scrolling ball is terrible compared to a traditional scrolling wheel (no tactile feedback, too small), and the one-button right click gimmick doesn't add anything other than aesthetics.

The best way to find a mouse you like is to go to Best Buy or one of those stores and try them all out. Buy the one you like the most. I have two Logitech mice that I like.. the Nano for portable and MX 620 for home use. I looked at the Revolution and some others, and I previously owned a MS 6000 mouse, but I prefer the MX 620.

There are so many options to consider, too, so don't be hasty with the purchase. You'll be mulling over wireless (bluetooth, reciever size, range, type), number of buttons (I only use left, right, and middle as scroll wheel click, but there are many other options including a separate third button and side buttons), wheel scrolling type (do you want a ratcheting or smooth scroll? do you need horizontal scroll?).

Presto87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
There are so many options to consider, too, so don't be hasty with the purchase. You'll be mulling over wireless (bluetooth, reciever size, range, type), number of buttons (I only use left, right, and middle as scroll wheel click, but there are many other options including a separate third button and side buttons), wheel scrolling type (do you want a ratcheting or smooth scroll? do you need horizontal scroll?).

Yea I've been taking into consideration all of these "features" whilst searching. What I'm looking for is:

- Wired, not wireless
- Buttons: Left/Right, Vertical Scroll (a third button would be a bonus, but not necessary)

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
Presto, have you priced out your apple directly though apple.com ? also, ever thought about getting 3rd party ram, which would drop the price significantly. it does not void the warranty either. I also, went with this mouse/keyboard package for my macs - never had any issues. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordl.../dp/B000E204LY

Presto87

Reaction score
Yea I checked out the price through apple.com (the Australian store). And given that I'm a student, even with the Educational Discount, the price still totals to $4,256.30. And keep in mind that that is without the Bose speakers. Whereas, I have been quoted at (as mentioned) $4,207 with the speakers. Yea and I never looked into 3rd Party RAM, because of previous experience (through friends). I have learnt that Macs are very "picky" when it comes to RAM compatibility etc. I had a friend that installed an extra GB on his Powerbook and it just didn't want to read it.
confused.gif
I had a look at your setup, I like the look if it - would match well. But, it's wireless!

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
I prefered wireless, but to each his own. Crucial is the way to go for RAM IMHO. I upgrade both my MBP with these rams, as well as my G5. no issues. found them for a great deal on dealnews.com I guess apple is more expensive there
wink.gif
also, any software you need let me know
smile.gif
:thumbup:

Presto87

Reaction score
Hey pauliodotnet, just thought I'd update: So here's the story - I purchased the iMac with the Bose speakers yesterday. Only to find that the sound straight out of the machine is awesome!!! I mean, for a bedroom setup - where I will only be using them for animations, youtube clips, movies etc. they work fine. And I can use Airtunes for my iTunes music (house parties etc.). So I already called my the store I purchased the bundle from. Returning them, means a 10% fee. I paid $430 for them - i.e. I lose $43.
frown.gif

Well, I guess it's better than keeping $430 speakers that aren't necessary. Oh and another positive is that with an extra $390-ish in hand, I finally have enough cash for a pair of RM Williams that I've been wanting for sooo long
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

And with regards to software: I've installed Adobe CS2 (legitimate version, purchased for college), and several other freeware applications - Limewire, Msn for Mac, Firefox ... still need to download VLC, Azureus, Toast. Are there any others that you recommend???

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry, I would have told you that about the iMac's speakers, but I only caught this thread now. The only issue with the iMac's speakers that I care about is that they only go so loud.

The Mighty Mouse isn't really one button, btw. I have mine configured to allow right-clicks and other things. It's actually more like an eight-button mouse. Play with the config util.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
The Mighty Mouse isn't really one button, btw. I have mine configured to allow right-clicks and other things. It's actually more like an eight-button mouse. Play with the config util.

Its actually a "no button" mouse that simulates having two buttons and differentiates between a right and left click by how your hand is positioned on the mouse when you press down.

Eight buttons? You are out of your mind. How can a mighty mouse simulate eight buttons?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads